1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

What steering gear for '75 F100 4WD with power steering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 03:21 AM
TheGermanGuy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What steering gear for '75 F100 4WD with power steering?

I have a '75 F100 Truck with (part time) 4WD and power steering. The steering gear is pretty much worn out and so the steering wheel has lots of free play and needs to be fixed soon.
I've figgured out, that there are many different gears available for the F series trucks between '73 and '79.

But even after searching for a while now, I haven't found one that fits (or seller lists it as fitting) for my truck. They're available for power steered RWD Models from 73 on or for 4WD from '76 on - but not for 73-75 4WD

Any ideas which part I should get? Maybe it fits from other years to? But then LMC should know this and list it fitting to the early models as well...

Old 07-09-2015, 12:04 PM
TheGermanGuy
Freshman User
Does nobody have any idea?

Old 07-09-2015, 02:06 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
You'll need a 4wd manual steering gearbox since 75 half-ton 4WDs still used the ram-assist system.

... precisely the reason to swap to a 4WD 76-79 gear with integral PS.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:31 PM
TheGermanGuy
Freshman User
ok, this is why no seller lists a separate box for the early power steered 4WDs. This is exactly what I assumed after comparing of what if found in the repair manual and on my truck. Looking backwards, this is so obvious that nobody gives a hint in any book or manual ;-)
Thanks for the information!

Old 07-09-2015, 02:37 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Yup. You don't know what you don't know until you know.. And now you know.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:56 PM
Jrgunn5150
Laughing Gas
Received 246 Likes on 164 Posts
I would seriously suggest you consider going to the newer style though.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:13 AM
TheGermanGuy
Freshman User
While I'm living in Germany it's not easy to get any spareparts at all. Basically I have to get them shipped overseas all the time. Luckily a gread member of this forum is sending me a First Aid Kit from time to time but I have to be carefull on what kind of project I'm starting and there is no way to go to a dealership on Saturday afternoon to get a seal or screw quickly.... And also my knowlege about US Trucks is limited...

My truck is not a daily driver and I take him out just on weekends when the weather is nice ;-) The power steering is still working fine after more that 40 years by now (just has lots of free play).

What needs to be exchanged when converting it to the later model style? How much effort is required? And what are the advantages of the integral power steering?

Old 07-10-2015, 01:04 PM
Jrgunn5150
Laughing Gas
Ah, that changes things lol. There are a couple of ways to go to the integral style. I personally just sourced a 1978 Bronco box and linkages, I will move the mount back on the frame later.

Other people swap newer Ford shafts into the older box (76-77) I believe, and that allows them to keep the stock box location and linkages. (I think... The whole thing was a little confusing to me lol, I just decided to take everything from a Bronco and work it out).

The main advantage to me, is my stock assist leaks just sitting there, and several of the parts are no longer serviceable. Being able to do crossover steering and ram assist easy are just bonuses.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:14 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by TheGermanGuy
While I'm living in Germany it's not easy to get any spareparts at all. Basically I have to get them shipped overseas all the time. Luckily a gread member of this forum is sending me a First Aid Kit from time to time but I have to be carefull on what kind of project I'm starting and there is no way to go to a dealership on Saturday afternoon to get a seal or screw quickly.... And also my knowlege about US Trucks is limited...

My truck is not a daily driver and I take him out just on weekends when the weather is nice ;-) The power steering is still working fine after more that 40 years by now (just has lots of free play).

What needs to be exchanged when converting it to the later model style? How much effort is required? And what are the advantages of the integral power steering?

2x with ^^^ ... I swapped to integral PS and links from a 79 Bronco. Visit the Tech Info Compilation in my signature below for how-to links.

You will need to ream the steering arms on the knuckles because the 78-79 tie rods have thicker studs... I recommend an XKUT 7.15° reamer (about $80).

Parts:
76-79 half-ton 4WD steering gear & pitman arm
78/79 Tie rod & drag link
76-79 Steering shaft
PS pump
PS pump pulley & belt
PS pressure hose
PS return hose
Grade 8 mounting hardware

Just to note.... 1976 was the only year for 4WD half-tons with an FE engine, Ford/Thompson "pencil neck" PS pump, and integral PS.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:23 PM
Dirt racer
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used a 79 box but had to have the worm gear changed so it would steer the other way. The pitman arm is opposite if you put the gearbox in almost the same spot (would turn opposite of the steering wheel). Used one of the original bolt holes and drilled the others. Then used the manual drag link off the pitman arm. Wasn't hard. There is a writeup on this site about it.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:58 AM
TheGermanGuy
Freshman User
Thank you so much guys! Not sure if I'll ever do a conversion like you described because it requires quite some parts (almost impossible to get over here and expensive to ship overseas) and also technical skills I might not have yet. But I'll keep it in mind because you never know... And with your support I most likely would be able to manage it anyways.
As far as I understand the PS control valve is the most problematic part because it's not available new anymore - right? Are there any aftermarket PS kits available for this type of trucks? If everything goes wrong, I still could just go for manual steering - couldn't I?

Old 07-15-2015, 04:19 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by TheGermanGuy
Thank you so much guys! Not sure if I'll ever do a conversion like you described because it requires quite some parts (almost impossible to get over here and expensive to ship overseas) and also technical skills I might not have yet. But I'll keep it in mind because you never know... And with your support I most likely would be able to manage it anyways.
As far as I understand the PS control valve is the most problematic part because it's not available new anymore - right? Are there any aftermarket PS kits available for this type of trucks? If everything goes wrong, I still could just go for manual steering - couldn't I?

Retrofitting the 78/79 system is pretty much a bolt-on. If you're not inclined to scrounge, Benchwork Steering offers it in kit form less the linkages and such: 1966 ? 1975 Ford F-100 4×4 Power Steering Conversion | Benchwork Steering Systems

Yes, you could do away with the control valve system and just go manual... start pumping iron though cuz steering will get very heavy!

Old 07-16-2015, 05:27 AM
TheGermanGuy
Freshman User
Cool, everytime I'm coming up with problems here, they turn into no problem at all in notime and there are multiple options to choose from. I really like this! Thanks again and greets from Germany!

Old 10-14-2015, 02:57 PM
TheGermanGuy
Freshman User
Found this on ebay: REMANUFACTURED POWER STEERING P/S CONTROL VALVE FOR FORD F250 4X4 HIGHBOY | eBay

Everything else on my truck should be serviceable. (Hydraulic cylinder, Pump, Hoses,...) No reason to use any parts from later models or waste loads of money for the benchworks system. I think...

What's your comment on this idea?

Old 10-14-2015, 03:06 PM
Jrgunn5150
Laughing Gas
If I remember correctly there are a couple ends in the linkage that are not serviceable, as they've been discontinued.

However, with you being overseas, if your steering is otherwise in decent shape, it may work out better for you in the short-term.

Quick Reply: What steering gear for '75 F100 4WD with power steering?