1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

What makes high EGTs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 01:38 AM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
What makes high EGTs?

I just hauled with my truck for the first time on the interstate for about 70 miles. Pulling a 5000lb camper. My average speed was 60 mph but only because my egts wouldnt allow me to go faster. The speed limit here is 75. On the way to the lake I was going about 60 mph. A few larger hills but nothing longer than a mile-mile and a half. I was on my heavy tow setting on my chip, so I could keep my egts down, I had my a/c on, and it was 95 degrees outside. From here to the lake is about a 1000ft incline over a 50 mile distance with alot of hills. The problem presented itself on the way there when I was trying to go faster then 60mph and my options were either go faster at 3500 rpms, or shift into OD and my egts instantly go to 1300-1450 for minutes at a time. (I didnt let the egts stay over 1300 for longer then 30 secs) but untill I let off the throttle the egts were only climbing.

Now heres what baffles me, While I was at the lake my a/c crapped out on me. Then it rained and the temp went to 70 degrees. I started on the way back and I didnt have my a/c on. I was going 72mph at 2200rpms in OD with my EGTs only at 10 on average and only getting to 12.5 at the top of the hills then going instantly back down to 9-10.

So my question is, what creates egts? My egts rise ALOT when Im in my lower rpm band .7-1.8 RPMS. Once my turbo kicks in my egts instantly drop, alot. But on the way out, I woulda blew my engine if I stayed at 3500rpms to be able to keep my egts down. Would an intercooler get rid of these issues or would I still not be able to just floor it and not worry? What about up pipes, would my up pipes being sealed get ride of this issue, if my turbo spooled quicker? I was still at about 16psi for boost.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:19 AM
echo95
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I had issues with my EGTs running higher than they should be it was due to a boost leak at the plenums. Leaking up-pipes will also cause higher EGTs and you should be able to see it looking up from under your truck at the connections for signs of soot.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:04 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well running the a/c makes the engine work harder which makes it run hotter. The cooler ambient may have helped some. Leaky up pipes will definitely cause it to run hotter. More air flow = cooler egts. An IC could help some but your turbo can only move so much air, so depending on your injectors and tune an IC may not fix your issue.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:47 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Crap i knew yall were gonna say that. I do NOT wanna do up pipes but it looks like ill have to. Which ones do yall recomend?

Old 07-07-2015, 03:11 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ezalycasaid
Crap i knew yall were gonna say that. I do NOT wanna do up pipes but it looks like ill have to. Which ones do yall recomend?

Some make their own...

some go riffraff.....

Old 07-07-2015, 03:53 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Beans has some parts too Irate Diesel OBS Up-Pipes 94-97 7.3L Ford Powerstroke
If you can weld.....you can make your own as lee just posted

Old 07-07-2015, 04:30 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
I would go with the Riffraff Diesel ones. I have installed the Irate and they are a PIA to install with it all be one piece.

Riffraff Diesel Bellowed Up-pipe Kit 94-Early 99 - Riffraff Diesel Performance

IMHO it isn't as easy as just welding some bellows into your stock pipes. We have seen some backyard companies try this and they just end up blowing out the bellows. I am not sure how International and riffraff are doing it, but they must be sleeving them as they bellow can't handle the direct heat and pressure. It is really only a job you want to do once, and since Riffraff sells them for only $493 thats what I do when I install them.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:10 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I would avoid beans diesel like the plague theives

Old 07-08-2015, 10:05 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
I dont know who I can get to install the up pipes for a reasonable amount. Or an intercooler. So for the mean time Im thinking about trying other methods. Like for instance adding some hood scoops to jam alot more cooler air under the hood. I have 3" exhaust with just the resonator deleted, so I was gonna move to 4", and then get ride of the muffler and see if that helps, untill I can afford the 1k for the up pipes.

Would this be worth it?

Also is water methanol injection an option?

Also why go bellowed up pipes instead of stock style?

Old 07-08-2015, 11:33 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The stock style are prone to leak. International also has a bellowed up pipe upgrade as well. But they are pricey. I wouldn't waste money on other stuff till you get those up pipes in order.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:17 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
I dont know who I can get to install the up pipes for a reasonable amount. Or an intercooler. So for the mean time Im thinking about trying other methods. Like for instance adding some hood scoops to jam alot more cooler air under the hood. I have 3" exhaust with just the resonator deleted, so I was gonna move to 4", and then get ride of the muffler and see if that helps, untill I can afford the 1k for the up pipes.

That isn't gonna get it done. You just need to pull the chip and be low on power until you can deal with the problem properly by fixing the leaks.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:49 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Haha ok ok fine, I just ordered the Riff raff 94-97 bellowed up pipes kit. I also found a shop that said theyll do it for 425 and a couple buddies that said they can do it for 350. So Ill be in it 9-950 total. Not what I was wanting to pay but if itll give me alot more piece of mind Im ok with that. Diesels are expensive just to tow 5k.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:00 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Its an age thing, and an expectations thing. 1) Your leaks are causing you issues caused by the age of the truck, 2) You are wanting to pull a 5k lb trailer/parachute at 70+ mph up a hill with a 19 year old truck that needs repairs.

The chip, IC etc will help you, but the rule is you need to get it running right before you start doing mods.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:38 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
Its an age thing, and an expectations thing. 1) Your leaks are causing you issues caused by the age of the truck, 2) You are wanting to pull a 5k lb trailer/parachute at 70+ mph up a hill with a 19 year old truck that needs repairs.

The chip, IC etc will help you, but the rule is you need to get it running right before you start doing mods.

Gotcha. So theoretically this should be the best improvement I make because everything else around it should start working better?

Old 07-09-2015, 02:07 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Gotcha. So theoretically this should be the best improvement I make because everything else around it should start working better?

Theoretically yes...in practice it generally exposes the next weak point...

Quick Reply: What makes high EGTs?