1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Still low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 07:15 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still low oil pressure

Well, hooked up mechanical gauge, and oil pressure is still very low. The most it gets up to is 10. The oil pickup tube is new, not sure about oil pump. Motor is a fresh rebuild, but it was done 3 or 4 years ago. Any ideas? Pull motor and replace oil pump?
This pic is at idle cold motor. Pressure goes up to 10-15 if I rev it up.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:27 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Did it ever have good oil pressure? I had a fresh rebuild with the same issue and there was an internal pipe plug missing from an oil gallery. I wouldnt run it too long without checking it out. Maybe the oil pump pickup fell off the pump?

Old 07-02-2015, 09:44 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
It was missing an oil plug in the rear of the block. I pulled the transmission and plugged it. There's no oil leaks, so can't figure it out. I can't pull off the oil pan unless I pull the motor. .....if I remove the oil pressure gauge, oil shoots out of the port. So I know there's a little pressure...

Old 07-02-2015, 09:47 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Could be a missing plug behind the timing chain or another area further down the oil gallery, especially if you already found one missing. I had one missing under my intake manifold.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:17 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Should I just pull it and have it inspected? I don't have the time or experience to do it myself. It's my first time starting it, and it's a fresh rebuild.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:18 AM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Do I understand that upon discovery of the rear galley plug missing, that NO oil had poured out? hmmmmmm... To me this would suggest the oil isn't making it that far and, the Lifters and Rockers aren't oiling at all? I could be wrong.

The common check lists for low or no oil pressure are well documented so I'll just offer two things that come to mind.

I wonder of the "New" Oil Pump Pick Up Tube is kissing the Oil Pan Floor.

I bought a Windsor with no pressure once. I discovered the P.O. used a bolt that was too short when installing the Oil Pump. It pulled the block surface up at the threaded hole creating a gap. Some folks gasket the Pump and Pick Up Tube, some don't.

Good Luck

Old 07-03-2015, 07:04 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by jrockdiddy
Should I just pull it and have it inspected? I don't have the time or experience to do it myself. It's my first time starting it, and it's a fresh rebuild.
If a shop built it I would take it to them. I normally prime any new engine before starting, I like to see full oil pressure before hitting the key. Parts are going to get damaged running it like it is.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:55 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
I had that problem once on a fresh rebuild. The reason for the rebuild was that the fiber timing chain gear had started to disintegrate and pieces had traveled thru the engine. I replaced the oil pump with a new one which fixed the problem. A later post mortem on the old pump revealed a piece of the gear tooth had become trapped under the pressure relief valve check ball so most of the oil was by passing the engine. Pull the valve covers and crank over the engine to verify an ample oil supply is reaching the rocker arms. Yes, the engine shoud have been verified as having oil pressure by the rebuilder.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:04 AM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
I bought the truck in California, (motor came with it. Engine builder also in California), oil did come out of oil galley plug. That's how I noticed I had a leak. I will pull valve covers and see if oil is making its way to rockers. I did prime the motor before start, but had an electrical oil gauge so didn't see any oil pressure.

Originally Posted by eman92082
Do I understand that upon discovery of the rear galley plug missing, that NO oil had poured out? hmmmmmm... To me this would suggest the oil isn't making it that far and, the Lifters and Rockers aren't oiling at all? I could be wrong.

The common check lists for low or no oil pressure are well documented so I'll just offer two things that come to mind.

I wonder of the "New" Oil Pump Pick Up Tube is kissing the Oil Pan Floor.

I bought a Windsor with no pressure once. I discovered the P.O. used a bolt that was too short when installing the Oil Pump. It pulled the block surface up at the threaded hole creating a gap. Some folks gasket the Pump and Pick Up Tube, some don't.

Good Luck

Old 07-03-2015, 09:40 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
As Dave mentioned, there is an oil galley plug right behind the cam timing sprocket. I can't imagine why a galley plug would be missing on the rear, but it increases the odds the one on the front is missing. Pretty sure you could see if the plug is there by pulling the WP and front cover off.

Before you do anything, I'd verify that the gauge is working.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:18 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
As Dave mentioned, there is an oil galley plug right behind the cam timing sprocket. I can't imagine why a galley plug would be missing on the rear, but it increases the odds the one on the front is missing. Pretty sure you could see if the plug is there by pulling the WP and front cover off.

Before you do anything, I'd verify that the gauge is working.

I just replaced timing cover gasket 2 weeks ago. Didn't know to look for another oil plug. I have used electrical oil gauge and mechanical gauge. Both read 10 lbs max

Old 07-03-2015, 05:39 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
I guess there are actually 3 plugs up front.
How to tap the oil galley plugs on a ford 302 | SBF Building

Old 09-21-2015, 12:32 AM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Finally pulled distributor, is this an oil galley plug?

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I guess there are actually 3 plugs up front.
How to tap the oil galley plugs on a ford 302 | SBF Building

Old 09-21-2015, 12:34 AM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Oil galley plug missing?

I was told to pull distributor and check for missing oil galley plug. Have low oil pressure. Is this threaded hole oil galley plug?

Old 09-25-2015, 09:46 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 469 Likes on 305 Posts
Thought that anyone reading this post may want to see the final resolution/cause of this low pressure condition...https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-removal.html

Quick Reply: Still low oil pressure