Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Speaker crackling/popping issues - HELP?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 12:13 PM
jgrohs54
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Speaker crackling/popping issues - HELP?!?

Need help from the experts here.... i have a 2001 Ex Limited with the Audiophile sound system (6 cd changer without the DVD and have the rear integrated control panel RICP in the center console) and I had a couple of issues going on with that stereo but more on that later. I had intermittent popping/static coming from the right middle and right rear speaker and it was not a huge issue but annoying. I assumed it was something wrong with my stereo because it had volume dial issues, etc. Sooo... fast forward to now where i just finished installing a new head unit and some rear DVD monitors and the problem persists (may even be worse). Anyone else dealt with this or have any insight? Below is what I have learned and or tried....

-The rear speaker channels from the stereo goes to the RICP in the center console where i believe it is amplified. The two speakers (each side) are wired in parallel. I have not tried to "jump" this RICP yet and may do that - afraid that when I wire these two 4 ohm speakers in parallel it will hurt my new stereo since it will see a 2 ohm load
-The speakers still pop/static even when they are disconnected from the RICP!?! From what I think i know about the wiring they should be completely disconnected (bad wiring/rubbed spot?!?) if I disconnect the RICP.
-I replaced both right mid and rear speakers thinking maybe there were issues there. No change.

Sooo... right now i am thinking that I much have a wiring issue but would LOVE some help from anyone who knows. All i can think about now is to re-run speaker wires from my stereo OR use a pre-amp channel directly from my radio to a small amplifier and then connect the radio to that to completely bypass all wiring.

Anyone have any thoughts?!?

Josh

Old 07-01-2015, 02:05 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would agree that it sounds like your problems are stemming from the rear distribution center. I didn't realize it was amplified and have actually read the opposite, that the two rear speakers are simply wired in parallel to the rear distribution center and the head unit sees a 2 ohm load (though Iirc factory speakers are like 6 ohm anyway for a 4 ohm load).

I'm planning on bypassing my rear distribution center. I've never used it.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:16 PM
jgrohs54
Freshman User
Originally Posted by hasteranger
I would agree that it sounds like your problems are stemming from the rear distribution center. I didn't realize it was amplified and have actually read the opposite, that the two rear speakers are simply wired in parallel to the rear distribution center and the head unit sees a 2 ohm load (though Iirc factory speakers are like 6 ohm anyway for a 4 ohm load).

I'm planning on bypassing my rear distribution center. I've never used it.
Honestly i am not sure what all the RICP does, i was under the impression from a previous post that it did its own amplification - dont take that as gospel truth by anymeans. I do know it talks to the factory head unit through some communication protocol and I cannot reuse the push buttons in that unit to control anything on my new head unit. I did measure my speakers and they are both about 5.2-5.4 ohms.

Again i want to point out that the crazy part is that when the popping/static is happening I can quickly get into the center console and disconnect the plug going into the RICP and the noise does NOT stop. That is what leads me to believe that i might have a wiring issue. I have tried wiggling every wire possible, shutting doors, bouncing on the car, and i get no change. To complicate things the problem is intermittent so i cannot make it happen, it just does it sometimes. If the problem had not existed prior to installing a new head unit then I would have assume I botch the install.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:42 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah that is a little odd. I'm not sure exactly how the rear control unit works. I'm sure bypassing it with aftermarket speaker wire would do the truck though. If the resistance is an issue for your head unit, Alpine makes a tiny box that's like 25x4 watts rms and Iirc is 2 ohm stable and it's under $100. It's about the size of two packs of cigarettes.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:13 AM
jgrohs54
Freshman User
Originally Posted by hasteranger
Yeah that is a little odd. I'm not sure exactly how the rear control unit works. I'm sure bypassing it with aftermarket speaker wire would do the truck though. If the resistance is an issue for your head unit, Alpine makes a tiny box that's like 25x4 watts rms and Iirc is 2 ohm stable and it's under $100. It's about the size of two packs of cigarettes.
Thanks - i did verify that my new head unit is 2 ohm stable and I plan on trying to bypass the rear controls first and see what happens. My next step would be to go with a small amp like you are describing. Thanks!