1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Am I crazy for wanting to upgrade to a 6.7 PSD???

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 12:04 PM
sledhead999
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I crazy for wanting to upgrade to a 6.7 PSD???

I'm kinda torn. Old "Whitee" only has 82k miles on her, but shes feeling a bit dated. Still runs a drives like a champ. Doesn't drip or leak any oil. Never had the VC's off. But I'd like to update to a newer PSD with newer technology (Bluetooth, Sync, Quiter, Smoother, ect).

So here's the conundrum, I've found a '12 F-350 Lariat with 80k miles with a 4" lift and 35's for $40k. Exactly a newer version of what I have.

The other option is to spend some $$$cash$$$ and update mine.
1- I already have a double din radio, but its not color and doesn't have Navigation or backup camera, so update that.

2- I have some core injectors I've been planning on doing a HP upgrade. I also have a new T500 HPOP I've also never installed to go with em.

3- I have 4.10 gears I've never installed, these will bring it back close to stock parameters for tire size.

4- Possibly upgrade to a 4-5" lift instead of my 2.5" level lift and stay with my 35's.

5- Have my spare trans built to handle the new found power from items 1&2 above.

6- I have new headlights and grill from the '05 era waiting to be installed too!

I'm having a hard time choking down a $700-800/mo truck payment after not having one for years. How would you spend your money in my situation? I only put about 3-5k miles a year on it.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:17 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sledhead999
I only put about 3-5k miles a year on it.

same here.

have had old green for 10+ years. it runs and drives great, and gives little to no trouble. It has been a very economical vehicle to drive, but is starting to really show its age. added bluetooth a while back, and have debated adding the backup camera but it is not that urgent. the suspension is tired, for sure.

the biggest issue is finding the time to work on it when little issues do come up. have come to realize the next truck will most likely be a F-150.

can lease a nicely loaded one for ~$450/mo. purchasing is a no go at 50k+. same goes for the super duty. especially considering the 3k-5k a year that gets put on it.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:28 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
I bet a lot of us in the same boat. I know I can upgrade components, but I hate trying to make something dated perform like the latest and greatest. I don't have an emotional attachment to my trucks the way some folks do. They just have to do what trucks do and sometimes when we are towing, we (my wife) says we need more power. Still a lot of bucks!

Old 07-01-2015, 12:37 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
If you drive one of those beasts, and CAN do the numbers ($), you'll answer your own question. They're incredible...
If you decide to do it, PM me concerning your truck. I've been looking for one like it!

Old 07-01-2015, 12:42 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the fuel millage on a newer truck is around 12mpg due to all the emissions they have.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:52 PM
Thomas White
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I would like to have a newer on for the reasons they ride much better. The interiors are much nicer. But, there is no way in hell I'm putting that kind of money in a vehicle. Some draw backs are the cost of tires, DPF Fluid, Insurance, etc.

I think the best of both worlds could be found in a 2007 6.0 XLT or better. Updated suspension, Bulletproof Engine, Improved Trans and 8 years newer.

On the other hand, I have a 1999.5 with 250k which doesn't even feel broken in yet. I would (and have) jumped in, hooked a 10k lb. trailer and headed out for 15k mile round trip with no problems whatsoever.

More often than not, many items, not mechanical related, have plagued me; like window motors, switches, etc.

Just from a maintenance stand point last winter I replaced all the engine sensors because of age rather than performance.

I guess I'll stick with the old girl until she, or I gives up the ghost.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-01-2015, 01:13 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
The discussion I just had with a wholesaler while purchasing a new (to my daughter) car (to replace the one someone totaled for her)... well, it can be summed up in what he said to me...

"I don't fool with trying to deal with the 7.3 Super Duty trucks any more because I just I can't find 'em... most of the people who have 'em just won't let go of 'em!"

That being said, though, you should do what you feel best for your own situation.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:20 PM
sledhead999
Elder User
Originally Posted by empiretc
same here.

have had old green for 10+ years. it runs and drives great, and gives little to no trouble. It has been a very economical vehicle to drive, but is starting to really show its age. added bluetooth a while back, and have debated adding the backup camera but it is not that urgent. the suspension is tired, for sure.

the biggest issue is finding the time to work on it when little issues do come up. have come to realize the next truck will most likely be a F-150.

can lease a nicely loaded one for ~$450/mo. purchasing is a no go at 50k+. same goes for the super duty. especially considering the 3k-5k a year that gets put on it.
My towing requirement have went down over the years. I think I could get by with a half ton pickup. I actually test drove a '13 EcoBoost 3.5L. It had 80k miles. Not impressed with the power. Is it fast yes, is it lacking torque, yes. Is it fun to drive, heck yes! I've decided its not for me. It felt gutless out of the hole til about 3000-4000 RPM when its making boost. Couple that with complaints about not getting the quoted EPA mileage. I've read/seen reviews the new 2.7L EcoBoost is actually peppier/snappier and funner to drive making 325HP vs 365 out of the 3.5L and better fuel economy to boot!!

Originally Posted by RV_Tech
I bet a lot of us in the same boat. I know I can upgrade components, but I hate trying to make something dated perform like the latest and greatest. I don't have an emotional attachment to my trucks the way some folks do. They just have to do what trucks do and sometimes when we are towing, we (my wife) says we need more power. Still a lot of bucks!
I do have an attachment to my truck. Had her 13 years now. I've actually thought about keeping it even if I did upgrade simply because its not replaceable. I haven't seen any other trucks for sale of same year without at least 130k or more miles!

Originally Posted by Thomas White
I would like to have a newer on for the reasons they ride much better. The interiors are much nicer. But, there is no way in hell I'm putting that kind of money in a vehicle. Some draw backs are the cost of tires, DPF Fluid, Insurance, etc.

I think the best of both worlds could be found in a 2007 6.0 XLT or better. Updated suspension, Bulletproof Engine, Improved Trans and 8 years newer.

On the other hand, I have a 1999.5 with 250k which doesn't even feel broken in yet. I would (and have) jumped in, hooked a 10k lb. trailer and headed out for 15k mile round trip with no problems whatsoever.

More often than not, many items, not mechanical related, have plagued me; like window motors, switches, etc.

Just from a maintenance stand point last winter I replaced all the engine sensors because of age rather than performance.

I guess I'll stick with the old girl until she, or I gives up the ghost.
Sorry, no way in hell would I give up my 7.3 for a 6 .Oh No, sure they can be made into great trucks, but what I have now is just as great if not better IMO!

Old 07-01-2015, 01:24 PM
sledhead999
Elder User
Do you guys think the 6.7L will have the long term durability/reliability these 7.3L's have when they are 12-15 years old?

Old 07-01-2015, 03:11 PM
LurkerX
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sledhead999
Do you guys think the 6.7L will have the long term durability/reliability these 7.3L's have when they are 12-15 years old?
I can't answer that question, but her is my 2¢ on your OP...

I can't create a sig yet, but here is what it'd say:
01 Excursion Limited, GTP38R, 4" Down & Exhaust, Programmed, Custom Dayco 1100 RPM TC, Harpoon, ZooDad, 3 way Headlights, F350 rear springs w/ Bags, 30mm Rear Sway Bar, AIH Delete, IH Water Pump, 205° Thermostat, E99 (all metal) IC, 6.0 (31 Row) Trans Cooler, Nippondenso Starter, Odyssey 65-PC1750T Batteries

So my truck is definitely not "stock". Nothing outrageous, no lift or big tires... Mostly reliability or service mods.

All that to say:
I recently pulled a 50HP tractor with front-end loader (and all 4 tires filled with antifreeze), a T300 Bobcat, and 7 implements for the two on a gooseneck behind a '13 F-350DRW-CC. The load worked out to around 32-35K# on the trailer.

Three days later, I pulled that exact same equipment on triple axle, bumper pull, imperial trailer... behind my Excursion.

My Excursion pulled that load noticeably better than the 6.7. I had better off-the-line, better rolling acceleration, and less speed loss in the hills at highway speeds.

That, coupled with the fact that @ 300,000 miles, I still get 24-25MPG unloaded - I am in no hurry to get a 6.7.

Take it for what it's worth...
I also (now) know that while you can work on many things on the 6.7 much easier than the 6.0 or 6.4, you have to lift the cab just to get to sensors!
No Thank You very much.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:28 PM
F0rdc0wb0y
Fleet Mechanic
Received 446 Likes on 261 Posts
There's no way in he!! I'd get rid of my 7.3 for a new one. I can't even fathom a $700-$800 a month car payment. That's ****in craziness to me. I can't even imagine trying to work on one either. I'd rather stick with the devil I know as opposed to the one I don't. I'll drive mine until it blows up and then I'll rebuild it and do it all over again. I'd install all those items you have accumulated and keep updating your truck. Way more funner workin on 7.3's anyway. Just my thoughts

Old 07-01-2015, 04:47 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
KEEP the 7.3 truck!! do a few upgrades/maintenance as you can/want/need to!

I keep seeing and hearing about backup cameras........these things are for woosies or OLDER folks (I'm 57) to back up RV trailers, I am a professional commercial truck driver and USE MY MIRRORS on my S/D as well (the '14 ones I might add!!) to back up, change lanes, ect, ect.....IF anyone has ever driven a "Big" truck rather it be a straight truck or a tractor trailer (I have since I was 16) you know you CAN'T back up in traffic if you make a mistake, its part of life, its no problem if you are a true pro!!

MY L99 XLT CC Dually suits me just fine as far as comfort goes, it has all the usual power windows, mirrors, locks, cruise, tilt, 6 disc double din factory in dash CD player, etc, etc, runs well, is pretty quiet for a 7.3 due to running synthetic Rotella and B99.9 Bio-Diesel fuel, rides well both empty and loaded, and even towing our 36' 10k TT.

AND I have NO payment!!

Old 07-01-2015, 06:01 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Two people who have driven Stinky commented that he's on par with a 6.7L (empty). I see no reason why he couldn't tow just as well, if not better. I can get parts, access to those parts without buying a lift, get by without DEF & DPF, and I can spend money on him on my schedule - not a bank's.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:17 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Just personal preference. No right or wrong here.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:55 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
Two people who have driven Stinky commented that he's on par with a 6.7L (empty). I see no reason why he couldn't tow just as well, if not better. I can get parts, access to those parts without buying a lift, get by without DEF & DPF, and I can spend money on him on my schedule - not a bank's.
This is just my 2 cents.

I can concur to this! Stinky is an extremely strong truck, ya it did take money to get it their and keep it their. I have no doubt and know that Stinky can keep up.

But like Stinky, my truck, your truck any truck that is 10+ years, there are going to have some sort of rattle (not as bad as any chevy I have been in and our trucks are tight!), with some air making it's way into the cab and not as tight in the steering wheel, which all this can be taken care of with none and comes down to are you keeping the truck or not. For me I made the decision on keeping my 7.3 all though I came real close to a 2013, then thought payments, unfamiliar truck (maintenance wise), accident history, etc. So I kept my true and tried 7.3 and as we speak I'm doing a build on "the grinch" and it's costing me about 6K dollars in parts, but I will have a strong worry free truck for another 10 (hopefully) + years in a payment free truck. Plus you just can't be the sound of a true 7.3 diesel.

I probably have 80 miles in an empty 6.7, which is not much. They are fun, quick, tight and smooth and should have a warranty. But once that warranty is up, that is where I got scared.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy for wanting to upgrade to a 6.7 PSD???