6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Bonehead Hall of Fame Founding Member

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 07:13 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Yup, that was pretty embarrassing. Except for my parents I didn't really "fess up" about what happened for a long time. I remember I was working at a chicken plant at the time cutting 2 chicken legs per bird at a rate of 16 birds a minute. Funny how you don't forget stuff like that-lol. 53 years old and I still have scars on my hand from that job. My boss talked me into coming in and they let me sit on a stool for 3 weeks. Still living at home, I could have skipped working for a couple weeks but I needed money for that new Holly carb (and front end) for the Mustang. Sorry for rambling, too many hours at work and powered by expresso right now.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:20 PM
evan1242
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Yup, that was pretty embarrassing. Except for my parents I didn't really "fess up" about what happened for a long time. I remember I was working at a chicken plant at the time cutting 2 chicken legs per bird at a rate of 16 birds a minute. Funny how you don't forget stuff like that-lol. 53 years old and I still have scars on my hand from that job. My boss talked me into coming in and they let me sit on a stool for 3 weeks. Still living at home, I could have skipped working for a couple weeks but I needed money for that new Holly carb (and front end) for the Mustang. Sorry for rambling, too many hours at work and powered by expresso right now.
Yep, some things are just burned in there. Lol.
So I asked my dad what his dumb moment was with his stang.
He removed the engine also a 289 auto Trans to rebuild. Once he was done and had it back in, it would not start. So he went to jump the solenoid just like you did except it was in park but he forgot to put the bolt back in one of the motor mounts and when he was bent over to hit the solenoid the motor jumped up and hit him in the forehead. Said it knocked him flat out. Lol.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:19 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IHateCommieCars
Pretty dumb, lol.. I do stuff like a lot but claim its age related.
Wish I could use age as the excuse--but I can't

Old 06-28-2015, 09:11 PM
bizzelj
Senior User
Well I've only had my truck for 8 months. First diesel luckily I have this forum. But my biggest bonehead moment was when I changed my oil. After I drained my oil I put it in the bed of the truck to take it to autozone. Then got busy any forgot well the next day me and the wife went to the grocery store and the oil started to leak out the bed of the truck and I thought it was coming out of the tailpipe. So here I go freaking out googling everything my wife is calling her dad. I get home and I'm trying to figure out what happened and then the light bulb came on that the oil from the back of the truck had spilled and looked like it was coming out of the tailpipe. Biggest bonehead moment of my life.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:15 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bizzelj
Well I've only had my truck for 8 months. First diesel luckily I have this forum. But my biggest bonehead moment was when I changed my oil. After I drained my oil I put it in the bed of the truck to take it to autozone. Then got busy any forgot well the next day me and the wife went to the grocery store and the oil started to leak out the bed of the truck and I thought it was coming out of the tailpipe. So here I go freaking out googling everything my wife is calling her dad. I get home and I'm trying to figure out what happened and then the light bulb came on that the oil from the back of the truck had spilled and looked like it was coming out of the tailpipe. Biggest bonehead moment of my life.
It would have been Worse if you started a FTE Thread on it

Old 06-28-2015, 10:30 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Not a super bonehead move. But have you ever missed
the oil tube with the better part of a gallon of oil?
I was in a hurry and did not check where I put the end of
the funnel after doing an oil change. Needless to say it was
dribbling under the truck before I found the mis. Everything
in the valley got well oiled along with the bell housing and driveway.

I double check it before I dump it in now.

Sean

Old 06-29-2015, 10:49 AM
wingrider75
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Shaneb75
Ok, I think I can top that...

2004 Jetta TDI, changed the oil, fuel filter, and blew out the air filter. Put it all together to start it and run it down the road. Started and idled just fine but had (0) power and smoked like a freight train... I didn't do ANYTHING that would cause this...

My brother drives up just in time to witness the stupidity.... With the hood raised, revving the engine I notice that the intake tube is dang near kinking shut with each rev... Then the light bulb goes off, I know what it is... I had stuffed a leather glove in the intake tube to keep bugs and dirt from blowing up there when cleaning the air filter...

Now every time something doesn't turn out right... My brother asks, did you leave a glove in it???

Hope that helps!!
I watched a professional tractor puller do this once. He was running an Allison V12 modified. He took off down the track, tractor smoking and sputtering, and finally just shut it down. As he waited for a pull-off tractor, he was walking around looking in the motor. You could see the "oh ****" look on his face as he reached in and pulled a glove out of a turbo. They let him re-pull just to see if he had damaged anything, and he pulled clear out the gate. He was PO'd.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:53 PM
dieselbogging
Senior User
Stupidest thing I ever did was on my 91 f-250 around 8 years ago. Had a u-joint gone and figured i'd give it a shot (18 years old at the time). Well it didnt dawn on me about the small hill i was parked on until i popped the driveshaft off. The truck started to roll backwards down the hill with me under it. Panicked, I grabbed around the transfer case and held on. Thankfully there was a ditch behind the truck where it stopped 50 ft later.
Scared the parents pretty good haha

Old 06-29-2015, 01:49 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I bought 3 new General Motor's vehicles before my Excursion.
I took my prior vehicles to Jiffy Lube-type places

Old 06-29-2015, 02:51 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
So far the dumbest thing I have done, I changed out the U-joints in my '91 Chevy K1500 truck, but I could only get three of four snap rings installed on one of the u-joints. So I said F*** it, and I drove a 240 mile round trip right afterwards like that, and I guess I had some luck cause as I was pulling into my town after the trip my drive shaft dropped to the ground, and I had to use 4 wheel drive to get home (2 miles). My drive shaft did not look pretty afterwards .

Old 06-29-2015, 03:27 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
When I was in high school I talked my dad into letting me put a 4 barrel intake and carb on his 53 flathead. I had no idea what jetting was back then. 14 valves latter I found out. Luckily dad knew less about cars than me.