Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about headers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 11:41 PM
bstanboothe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about headers?

I'm wondering if anybody has installed BBK headers. I have a '92 F150 Flareside and I'm trying to "wake it up" a lil bit. I've installed Gibson shorty headers on a Ram before and they weren't too bad but I've never done a Ford before. I've seen the BBK's for $250 and it's a lot cheaper than the JBA's for $400. If anybody else has any other suggestions, I'm all ears and thanks.

Old 07-30-2003, 12:21 AM
tripndrag
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Question about headers?

I have the BBK's. I really like them. They are 1 5/8's, 3/8's flange. Here are the bad points. Your Y pipe will have to be modified, about another 100 bucks at the muffler shop. The collectors on the Y pipe ( the bell looking part that goes against the header) is to small to fit the BBK. Do not tighten the Y-pipe on to the headers to tight.

I just took the headers to a shop before I put them on the truck, they built some pipes that fit on the header(much easier for them to be able to do the fitting right by the bending machine), I went home and installed them and went back to the shop. They welded the new pipes on and connected them to the headers.

A friend of mine just bought the Gibson's for his 91 5.0 and his fit perfect. They were much smaller but nice. I also used the Earl's performance gaskets( a must!) the gaskets that come with them will last about 6 months. I also used a set of stage 8 locking header bolts(another must if you don't want to tighten them all the time). I wish I would have gotten slightly longer bolts, the header flange along with the Earl's gaskets are pretty thick and didn't allow me to attatch a couple brackets under them. I might go with the Gibsons if your truck is stock. They really worked well on my friends stock setup. I think the larger BBK's would hurt your performance a little bit. The direct fit is also nice. BBK is supposed to be but they aren't even close.