setting the carburator

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 09:34 PM
41Clay
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
setting the carburator

Ok, I'm a little dumb at this, but can someone give me a run down on how to get the idle set on a Holley 750 n/dp? I set the thing a while back and now the thing starts to idle around 1500 rpm sometimes. The only thing that I have touched since I got the thing is the two screws on the sides of the front bowl area and the float screws. Is there anything alse that needs to be set? It has an electric choke too. Should it be closed part of the way when hot?

Also is it a bad thing that only one of the cylinder banks has a burble and the other one doesn't (duel exhaust) ? Could this be caused by the carb? Or rather a timing issue?

Clayton

Old 07-30-2003, 04:20 AM
luvfordtrucks
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
setting the carburator

the choke is on the passenger side of the carb. when the engine is warm, theres 3 screws that hold a ring around the black plastic choke mechanism. loosen these screws a little until you can twist the black thing clock wise or counter clock wise. rotate it in the direction the choke starts to open and when its open all the way tighten the screws. you'll also ntice some hash marks on the top of this black choke, these are so you know where its set incase you have to disassemble it.
as for the idle, some where on the driver side of the carb there is a screw that the throttle linkage rests against...its a screw with a spring around it, this is your idle screw...turn it or back it out to lessen your idle. after you've done this, set the mixture screws ( these are the ones you already fiddled with ). start the engine let it warm up and adjust the screws to the highest idle....normaly one half turn to one turn is where there at and then adjust them from there, trimming them in and out till its idling high...but don't turn them to far counter clock wise as it'll be to rick....you should be able to trim them in and out a half turn here and there depeding on how much you already adjusted them.
theres also an adjustment for the high idle for the chocke and this adjustment can be tricky, so i wouldnt worry about it unless your have choke idle speed trouble...

Last edited by luvfordtrucks; 07-30-2003 at 04:23 AM.