Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Make Ex better for Wife to Daily Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 09:21 AM
TNScrambler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Make Ex better for Wife to Daily Drive?

Ok, so now that our Surprise #5 is on the way..... we are quickly outgrowing my wife's caravan.... as in 5 car seats won't fit.... they will fit in my Excursion, however she isn't a fan of driving it, says its too tall, drives like a truck, blah blah blah...... so we are looking at trying to trade her van for a Expedition EL, since its lower to the ground, has features she is used to like a power lift gate etc...

BUT, we have the Excursion, and are having a hard time trying to trade the Van as right now we are only $1k under nada on it for what we owe..... so I'm trying to get some ideas for how to easily make the Ex a little more friendly for her.... what are some ways you all have gotten your wives to drive Excursions on a daily basis?

Here are the current details on ours:

2000 4x4 7.3 Auto Limited
has 2in. mini-pack up front factory F350 blocks in rear
Hub centric spacers and '05 King Ranch 18" aluminum wheels with street tires.
No Muffler
2008 Factory Ford Crew Cab Chrome Tube Steps
Has guages
Diablo Single Position Chip
2008 Superduty front Seats and Console

So, Obviously.... first thing to help is to remove the 2in. mini pack and put the factory blocks back in, that will lower it down ~2 inches all around. The Late Model Steps made a huge difference, so those two combined will make the biggest difference I feel.

Next is Noise, so I have collected a 4in. exhaust and a Walker BTM Muffler, so installing that with a nice chrome tip will help in looks and over all volume.

She also wants something "Nice" as she is used to a newer vehicle now.... so I have also collected the parts (with exception of a radio) to do a '05-07 upper dash mod with black/woodgrain that I think would look very nice. I have also priced out having the 2nd and 3rd row seats re-skinned with a better matching leather to the '08 material used on the front seats, and thought about having the headliner redone at the same time. As well as a new headunit with back up camera and DVD system for the kiddos.

I've also been collecting parts to do a coil spring front swap, which I think would help her as well to make it turn sharper and ride better, but I'm concerned about the height.... wondering if maybe coils out of a Gas truck might help to keep it shorter but still ride good.

What are everyone's thoughts? Does your wife DD an EX? Should I just sell the Ex and get her a Expedition EL? If I sell the Ex, I could easily pay down the Van to be able to trade. For our current family situation we really don't "need" a diesel... but hopefully we'll be getting a camper in the next few years.... but that isn't set in stone either. Am I nuts from even considering doing all this?

For reference here is the EX as it sits now:

Thanks!
Justin

Old 06-16-2015, 10:43 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
When I bought my truck my wife was sketchy about driving it. It had worn our ball joints and was bone stock.

These are the things I've added that the wife has appreciated:
1) replaced all worn suspension components (which for me was shocks, track bar bushings, sway bar bushings, steering box, u joint, steering stabilizer, etc).
2) replaced factory leafs with v codes. Wife didn't mind the additional firmness in ride for much greater feeling of control with less wander.
3) back up camera. It's a necessity.
4) 08 mirrors. We both love these. They are a little wider but the view while parking is fantastic.
5) keep decent tires on the truck (in violation of this right now trying to squeeze some extra summer miles out of this set). Keeps it quiet and keeps down the shakes.
6) Ebc rotors and Hawk super duty pads changed the braking from scary to acceptable. Old stuff wasn't worn out, just didn't work well.

I never removed my factory running boards. Looked at aftermarket ones but wife said unless they were lower than the factory boards then forget it. Mine are the optional bright tube step so they look nice.

That's probably about it. Mine has a nice woodgrain dash kit and upgraded speakers as the factory ones sound awful. Not sure the wife cares about that though.

Anyway we went from her be afraid of driving it to her being able to drive it. Still doesn't prefer it because she likes small cars, but she is confident and comfortable in it now.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:52 AM
2wdDezlX
Elder User
I think you mentioned everything that is obvious to help her and the kids get in and out easier. Also, the exhaust will help alot. I assume you don't drive it that often as a family right now? We have an 04 yukon xl denali that my wife loved but we needed more room with 5 kids also. So, I bought an 03 2wd for cheap and planned to have her transition into it eventually. But, we got hit on the left rear and decided to update it to 11+ during the repairs, so it would just be mine or a backup and if I was driving most of the time. Then, I found a deal on an 05 and I can't keep her out of it. I think the main reason she likes it now is its 4x4 and I added gearhead tunes to it. It's a struggle to drive the yukon xl with the 6.0 in it no. There is a big difference in power and she likes to go and get around people in her big truck. Good luck and I hope you can convince her. Oh, and maybe tint at least the front windows. Where are you located?

Gary

Old 06-16-2015, 10:59 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"How to Make Ex better for Wife to Daily Drive"

Like that title

Old 06-16-2015, 11:17 AM
TNScrambler
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2wdDezlX
I think you mentioned everything that is obvious to help her and the kids get in and out easier. Also, the exhaust will help alot. I assume you don't drive it that often as a family right now? We have an 04 yukon xl denali that my wife loved but we needed more room with 5 kids also. So, I bought an 03 2wd for cheap and planned to have her transition into it eventually. But, we got hit on the left rear and decided to update it to 11+ during the repairs, so it would just be mine or a backup and if I was driving most of the time. Then, I found a deal on an 05 and I can't keep her out of it. I think the main reason she likes it now is its 4x4 and I added gearhead tunes to it. It's a struggle to drive the yukon xl with the 6.0 in it no. There is a big difference in power and she likes to go and get around people in her big truck. Good luck and I hope you can convince her. Oh, and maybe tint at least the front windows. Where are you located?

Gary
Hey Gary,

We live in North Knox, "Pawls" area (powell/halls) off Callahan Dr.... and I work for Knox Auto Parts out off Oak Ridge Hwy.

Justin

Old 06-16-2015, 11:26 AM
2wdDezlX
Elder User
That's cool. We have a powell address but zoned for karns. Clinton hwy and emory rd. I think I've seen your ex at knox auto parts before. Maybe we should meet up and have my wife convince yours to keep it.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:57 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TNScrambler

I've also been collecting parts to do a coil spring front swap, which I think would help her as well to make it turn sharper and ride better, but I'm concerned about the height.... wondering if maybe coils out of a Gas truck might help to keep it shorter but still ride good.

What are everyone's thoughts? Does your wife DD an EX? Should I just sell the Ex and get her a Expedition EL? If I sell the Ex, I could easily pay down the Van to be able to trade. For our current family situation we really don't "need" a diesel... but hopefully we'll be getting a camper in the next few years.... but that isn't set in stone either. Am I nuts from even considering doing all this?

For reference here is the EX as it sits now:

Thanks!
Justin
Justin, I have a 2WD '05 - therefore it has coil springs. It STILL rides like a truck.

The Expedition (and XL) is going to ride way smoother plus it has independent rear suspension - for an even smoother ride. The Expedition XL is a few inches smaller - so it's still huge to find a parking spot at the store for her.

You are in a tough spot, you'll end up spending a fair amount of $$$ to improve the interior "visual" parts - but it' still going to ride like a 8k lb truck.
IMO: keep the Excursion - for when YOU drive the family (or tow in the future).
Trade the minivan for a Ford Flex (I think it'll have enough room for the wife and kids).

Old 06-16-2015, 12:53 PM
ranagent
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
If you bought a full 4" exhaust, and a btm... I don't think they work together. The btm that everyone puts on is for the stock exhaust size. Disregard if walker makes a 4" muffler and you bought that, I didn't take time to look.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:54 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah the newer expeditions with irs ride like a car compared to the excursions. But even the El has noticeably less room and while I could stomach a v10 and maybe even get by with an eco boost 6, I can't do the 5.4. Not after owning and towing with my 6.0.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:00 PM
TNScrambler
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2wdDezlX
That's cool. We have a powell address but zoned for karns. Clinton hwy and emory rd. I think I've seen your ex at knox auto parts before. Maybe we should meet up and have my wife convince yours to keep it.
Maybe so, I was thinking that if we did end up keeping it, I should get some kind of tuner on there so she could at least swith to "Hush" mode in drive thrus or whatever.

Originally Posted by Misky6.0
Justin, I have a 2WD '05 - therefore it has coil springs. It STILL rides like a truck.

The Expedition (and XL) is going to ride way smoother plus it has independent rear suspension - for an even smoother ride. The Expedition XL is a few inches smaller - so it's still huge to find a parking spot at the store for her.

You are in a tough spot, you'll end up spending a fair amount of $$$ to improve the interior "visual" parts - but it' still going to ride like a 8k lb truck.
IMO: keep the Excursion - for when YOU drive the family (or tow in the future).
Trade the minivan for a Ford Flex (I think it'll have enough room for the wife and kids).
I hear ya there.... I don't think the flex will be an option, as with 5 car seats we would constantly be having to completely remove one car seat to flip the seat and access the 3rd row for loading kiddos... where as in the Ex or in an EL, we can leave one of the 2nd row folded down all the time to acess loading kids into the back, then two in the 2nd row.... then we have an extra seat for when we need "support crew" lol.

Thanks for the ideas.... critizim... suggestions.... your stories... just keep them coming lol

Justin

Old 06-16-2015, 01:00 PM
2wdDezlX
Elder User
Originally Posted by ranagent
If you bought a full 4" exhaust, and a btm... I don't think they work together. The btm that everyone puts on is for the stock exhaust size. Disregard if walker makes a 4" muffler and you bought that, I didn't take time to look.
There is a 4" walker btm he can use and its the same length. I had the 3.5" on my 01 7.3 after having it straight piped and it sounded good.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:04 PM
2wdDezlX
Elder User
Originally Posted by TNScrambler
Maybe so, I was thinking that if we did end up keeping it, I should get some kind of tuner on there so she could at least swith to "Hush" mode in drive thrus or whatever.

Justin
I'll pm my info to you. Have you thought about going to the riff raff meeting in newport next month?

Old 06-16-2015, 01:05 PM
TNScrambler
Senior User
Originally Posted by ranagent
yes, walker makes a 4in version.... Walker Heavy Duty Muffler 21471: Advance Auto Parts

with some advance online coupons, it made it rather cheap lol.

Justin

Old 06-16-2015, 02:01 PM
stpete
Senior User
I've test driven an Expedition EL. It's much more comfortable and easy to handle, including parking.

My son is going to start driving soon and will be going to high school 1/2 day and taking community college classes 1/2 day. The plan is to give him my DD car. Then I'll be stuck with the Ex as a DD. I'm considering my options: another car, an Expy EL or Navigator L, or just DD the Ex. I'll probably DD the Ex for a while and see if I can deal with it, but right now the other choices look better. For towing with occasional other use the diesel Ex wins by a mile, but for DD ...

Old 06-16-2015, 02:52 PM
Gene Horr
Senior User
I would forget trying to make it ride like a car. Focus more on making sure all of the steering and suspension components are working properly. Ask her to drive it for a week. After that she won't notice the truck like qualities.

She may also be worried about maneuvering the vehicle. I would get some side mirrors that have the larger convex mirror. And a reverse camera. Those may make her more comfortable driving it.

Quick Reply: How to Make Ex better for Wife to Daily Drive?