1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Grinch is getting a new engine pan gasket, OBA, 38R. Step by step engine/trans removal W/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 08:30 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by scotttahoe
But I have the time and as long as this is helping others to get familiar with their 7.3 than I am happy to do it. I won't lie as much time as it takes I am having fun doing it.
I DO know how much time and patience it takes to document a project like this. And the level of detail with awesome pics you have provided here is amazing.

Good work!!

Old 09-20-2015, 02:41 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Great looking. I would like to say sometime that my engine will look like this. But who am I kidding. Not gonna happen, glad somebody can don't though. Keep the great pics coming.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:37 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Tim.

It's funny how all these photos take way more time and patience to load to computer then to photo bucket then to FTE then it does to actually just work on the truck (especially after working an hour on a thread and you go to click post thread... then it says sorry you have timed out, oh gigidy I get to start over). But I have the time and as long as this is helping others to get familiar with their 7.3 than I am happy to do it. I won't lie as much time as it takes I am having fun doing it.
Thank you Scott for going to the trouble of doing this write up and posting so many great photos !! I myself find it all very helpful and hopefully someday I will be able to do the same. I feel your pain when you say it takes alot of time to upload photos and do the write up because when I built my Kuzz4R100 I felt the same way. But I was glad I did do so at the time.

That engine is beautiful !!!
Great job keep up the good work!!

Old 09-25-2015, 06:56 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
she's gonna purrrr like a kitten at idle then roar like a lion at WOT - looking sharp!

Old 09-25-2015, 07:31 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Thanks Tim.

It's funny how all these photos take way more time and patience to load to computer then to photo bucket then to FTE then it does to actually just work on the truck (especially after working an hour on a thread and you go to click post thread... then it says sorry you have timed out, oh gigidy I get to start over). But I have the time and as long as this is helping others to get familiar with their 7.3 than I am happy to do it. I won't lie as much time as it takes I am having fun doing it.
As someone who has enjoyed and benefited greatly from writeups and photos, I say THANK YOU to you and all the folks who take such efforts and time to do these threads

Tip: Before you hit the 'Submit Reply' button, highlight and copy your entire writeup in the window. That way if you lose it... Another tip: Sometimes you can just hit the back arrow when you get the timeout and get another chance to copy your work (can't post it, still timed out, but another chance to grab it)

Tip 3: In the upper right side of the posting box is a set up up/down arrows. They make this typing window larger or smaller, which can be helpful with large posts and pics

Old 09-25-2015, 11:09 AM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Ex, Those are great tips. I will keep them in mind.

Thanks to everyone for all of the compliments and support.

I didn't mean for the last several threads to be a guilt trip on the difficulty of posting pics and that I deserve praise. I'm sorry for that. I couldn't have done this job if it wasn't for all you great friends that are on here giving fantastic advise. I have learned a lot about my truck and wanted to give back to everyone the best I could. So, thank you all.

On a 2nd note, I got the engine installed this morning. Sorry no pics as it was a last minute thing. My buddy was hauling a backhoe to a job and stopped by the house. I asked him for the use of the backhoe and we went for it. We left the backhoe chained down to the low boy trailer, backed the truck in and lifted the motor into place. He had to get the backhoe on the job by 8 this morning and it all happened so fast so no pics were taken... Was pretty cool though how it all came together. I'll get some pics up with the engine in, but need to get the trans in first to help support the back of the engine.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:41 PM
petrokiller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 239 Likes on 162 Posts
You gotta Love it win a plan comes together! Quote from my old Friend Hannibal

Old 09-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Love all the pics of all the truck **** keep them coming

Old 09-27-2015, 09:02 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Thank you Scott for going to the trouble of doing this write up and posting so many great photos !! I myself find it all very helpful and hopefully someday I will be able to do the same. I feel your pain when you say it takes alot of time to upload photos and do the write up because when I built my Kuzz4R100 I felt the same way. But I was glad I did do so at the time.

That engine is beautiful !!!
Great job keep up the good work!!
The Kuzz4R100? I like it!

Old 10-02-2015, 03:11 PM
bdpotts
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
awesome update scotty. we were up in so.lake last weekend hiking/camping there at mt.tallac/fallen leaf lake. thought about your project, wondering if you had the beast mounted yet. sounds like you're close to completion.
cheers from oakland.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:41 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
How is it going Scotty? Could we get a progress report?

Old 10-04-2015, 10:12 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Thanks for checking in! It's coming along nicely My best friend got married over the weekend and was in the wedding, so have been busy with that.

I need to get some pics up ASAP! I have the motor back in, transmission is connected, all the front brackets for the alternator and A/C are on, harmonic balancer is back on and new power steering hoses are in.

Need to get the transfer case back in, drive shafts (wanted to get the new U-joints and the center bearing support, but will wait), intercooler, radiator, engine wiring harness and get the new isspro gauge in. Dash looks like a bomb went off right now. Lol.

I met up with Walt today (Holeshotwalt) and got his old new to me EBPV for the turbo outlet. Thank you Walt! I was just hoping to remove the valve itself and put it in mine since I already had it ceramic coated. Looks like I need to get the new one ceramic coated before I can get it back on the turbo and then I can install the AFE intake manifold.

The onboard air bracket is made up just need to tear it apart so it can be used with air instead of freon, but that will be easy. The hardest part will be making sure the belt is aligned with all the other pulleys and won't tear apart.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:19 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Awesome progress. Thanks for the update. When do you think you'll be shooting the first start video?

Old 10-04-2015, 10:25 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
I need the truck up and running by Thursday which will give me till saturday to make sure everything is good to go. I have a pretty big Dr. visit in Sacramento I need to go to and that old 1953 truck or jeep yj that I started using won't do a good job on getting me down there. So the plan is make first fire on Wednesday and button it up by Thursday!!! So fingers crossed that there will be a video by mid week. Yaayeeee!!!

Old 10-04-2015, 11:03 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
I know you are excited...good luck this week!

Quick Reply: Grinch is getting a new engine pan gasket, OBA, 38R. Step by step engine/trans removal W/ pics