Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Blue: 89 F150 5.0L 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 10:04 PM
michaelleiterman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Blue: 89 F150 5.0L 4x4

Well boys, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on another project Now there are two 89 F150's sitting in the driveway! This one I plan on keeping for just a bit, get it running to fix up and sell. But still, progress will be made that I'm wanting to document and questions will arise (they always do)... I picked her up from a guy down in Pine Bluff, roughly hour south of here, for $800. Not the worst deal, he was asking $1000. I'm thinking once I get it running good and cleaned up, hopefully it'll be worth about $2000-$2500... Not the point of this forum nor the thread but still, more money I can put towards my truck

Here's some specs on the truck:
-Blue, metallic rattle can job (I may get first hand at painting a vehicle with this)
-Reg cab, short bed, dual tanks
-5.0L 302 EFI
-Auto trans w/ 3.55s and factory ls rear (gonna swap into my truck)
-3" BL made from galvanized pipe and 2x4's (yes, will be coming off)
-40/20/20 seats custom in
-Winch plate/steel bumper welded up front
-Custom muffler (single in, single out to Y pipe)

But I have a problem. I turn the key and it cranks over, but no catch. It's getting spark and I can spray starting fluid in the intake and it'll catch right away and then die. The fuel pump on the rail sounds like its energizing (it does hum) but when I took the line off of it to the filter and turned the key no fuel pumped out. That tells me theres a problem further back that isn't getting fuel to the high pressure pump. I have no experience with these dual tanks and that's why I'm here... I've read up and gathered its possibly the inertia switch?

Thanks guys and look forward to progress! I'll post pictures tomorrow in the daylight!

Old 06-12-2015, 01:33 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
If the inertia switch is triggered there is no power sent to the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump will not cycle. So if you hear the pump cycle when you turn the key to ON the inertia switch is not at fault. This sounds like you have zero fuel pressure and need a pump. Is the condition different for each tank or the same on both?

Old 06-12-2015, 03:10 PM
michaelleiterman
Senior User
Figured out how the inertia switch works, and it wasn't tripped, so thats out of the way. Got to tearing it apart today, its a newer high pressure pump on the rail (still shiny). So I thought, well I'll pull the line off the rear of the HP pump, but once my lady friend turned the key, I heard the pump energize but no fuel even came out of the line from the DFR.. Bout an hour ago (I stopped as its pushing 95 and I needed lunch) I started taking care of getting that out, but there's so much mud caked up under that and around it on the t-case shield. I did some research from a fellow that posted a nice write-up on SuperMotors of how to clean up and recondition the DFR. Once I get back out there I'll pop it out and take some pictures of the truck like promised! I think that once I get the DFR off, I should be able to turn the key and gas should run out of the line right? If it does, for front/rear tank, then I can conclude that both pumps are working right and that the DFR is the problem. (This is my logic, but I'm 17 so who knows for sure)

As far as tank/pump condition, the guy I got it from told me he replaced the front tank/pump (I know, should I trust him or not) but after getting under the truck it's easy to tell its a nice looking tank.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:42 PM
F150'94
Senior User
You are a glutton for punish!

But seriously I enjoy the enthusiasm. Good luck with #2!

P.S. I just noticed the avatar, after reading through both of your threads. I'm a little slow sometimes. DU advocate myself.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:31 PM
michaelleiterman
Senior User
Whoops, this post is super long!

Sorry for the lack of updates! I was at the lake this past weekend and early this week I got a call from my dad telling me my grandfather in WI had passed. So I've been up here for a day or so!

Anyways, the beast runs now! I bought a $4 test light at Harbor Freight (lately been quite good to me) and went through the whole fuel system. Inertia switch, good. Selector switch, good from both sides. Even went and pulled the connector to the pumps and verified it was getting energy! Did that for both pumps, saw light on but no bueno from either one. Pulled em, and bench tested em using a battery, a jumper wire and the test light; just made a circuit but again nothing. Went down to Oreilly's and got two Precision pumps and rebuilt the pumps. Got it to fire up on the front tank, as that was the tank he had been using because it was the one with gas in it. The rear was bone dry.

First, before I even was able to do that I had to replace the fuel line from the rails right near the cap/rotor. I had a small fire and thought I was gonna lose the whole truck! But it mainly stayed down in the valley and was able to be put out within a minute or so. I had a very high idle (roughly 3000rpm), what i found was that in the fire it had messed up the throttle cable somehow and after pressing the pedal it wouldn't return all the way. Butterfly stayed open and voila extra air got in. That has been fixed with a cable from the JY ($7.02 vs $39.99+tax).

Then my next problem... The ignition would stick bad when trying to crank. So I went to tear that apart, and some (now I'm being kind with this) complete idiot broke off bolts in the puller holes of the freaking steering wheel. I had rented a puller set because I've tried to get em off otherwise but I've never been able to pull and hit hard. Anywho, then I went to get some left-handed drill bits to hopefully get the bolts out. Got it working but the bolts were wedged in... And then the cheap HF bit broke in the dang hole. I was pissed! Then after a little google search, I was enlightened to the fact that.... THE WHEEL DIDN'T NEED TO COME OFF... Once the all day event was over in roughly a minute, I started the truck up and it idled a little high (950-1000) but smoked a lot off the d/s bank of the motor. It was a exhaust/oil smell. Not sure if its a leaky gasket on the exhaust manifold or seal or something... But I need to get that fixed!

Here's some assorted pictures and I apologize for such a long post!!!

Old 06-18-2015, 05:37 PM
michaelleiterman
Senior User
Originally Posted by F150'94
You are a glutton for punish!

But seriously I enjoy the enthusiasm. Good luck with #2!

P.S. I just noticed the avatar, after reading through both of your threads. I'm a little slow sometimes. DU advocate myself.
Hahah well I am 17, 10ft tall and bulletproof. So I think it's just part of my blood!
But thank you! I enjoy working on these trucks and have fun learning about em while also making a little cash doing it.

Yes, DU member here. Last year of being a Sr. Greenwing I think, I'm one of the oldest kid members there can be I hunt in Clarendon, AR which is roughly a half hour NE of Stuttgart (the duck hunting capitol of the world)

P.S. (to everyone) my computer isn't finding the pictures that I've imported to iPhoto. I'm gonna try and maybe make a gallery, because I know y'all are just dying to see em

Old 06-20-2015, 11:48 PM
michaelleiterman
Senior User

Finally got pictures up!!! Took forever because of iPhotos and it wouldn't find em! But here she is, take a gander for yourself!!