Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redhead Steering Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 01:06 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Went to my alignment place, only mechanic I trust is in Canada on vacation this week. So, went over to Ford 1/4 turn was backed out... Steering now returns to center, I will also have my alignment checked when he gets back next week since there's been a lot of caster suggestions.

So at this point I'm at 1 full turn, in case your all keeping track.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:22 PM
Vwags
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LL I'm glad you appear to be getting it worked out. It is too bad you have had to do anything to make it like it was before. I am happy that I don't have to do any adjusting because, while you say you didn't need the box but got caught up in the hype of the group buy, I damaged my gear box trying to adjust it and couldn't get it even back to as good as it was so I had to replace it. I am not too anxious to do any adjusting any time soon.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:37 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Thanks, I've never been afraid of adjust our boxes (should I say give instruction). Lol
But anything more than a quarter turn at a time could be bad. Just went out to fill the tank and she's feeling good around town. Next week I'm doing front brakes and I'll have the alignment checked as stated above. All good

Old 08-18-2015, 06:28 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
just let it wear in or youll be loose as a goose later, re adjusting again to tighten it up

Old 08-24-2015, 04:40 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Wow! This Redhead rocks!

Wow! What a great feeling!
My Ex with 107k on it now, had the (typical) vague, wandering feeling; having to constantly correct and re-correct as the tires traveled from the crown of the road on one side to the edge of the lane, then veered a little back, correct for that, then correct again to keep in the center of the lane...
I had adjusted the steering box a total of about 5/8 of a turn which made the wandering better.
Just got the Redhead steering box installed, no other changes.
Steering effort is just a bit more firm, very little more. Driving on the same local side streets and highways now I don't have to correct more than about every 20 seconds or so, then just one finger on the wheel; and no counter correction following! The truck feels totally planted in the center of the lane! Even with a 30-35 mph side wind intermittently hitting the truck, my wife commented that I was hardly having to move my hands!
I hope everyone else in the group buy has had this kind of revelation too!
This week I'll be replacing the one in my '96 F150 that i bought new.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:38 PM
The2003Excursion
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone have a suggestion on which pitman arm puller to use on the old box before I send it back??? I can't find a rental that fits. Thanks.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:13 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Take it to Napa auto parts, they pulled mine for free after breaking the cheapie HF puller.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:10 AM
swmpbgy1
Senior User
Originally Posted by The2003Excursion
Does anyone have a suggestion on which pitman arm puller to use on the old box before I send it back??? I can't find a rental that fits. Thanks.
I tried the rentals too....not big enough. I ended up using 2 cold chisels and wedged them between the arm and base of the shaft....beat the hell out of the chisels and it came right off.

What a B!@#$...........

Swmpbgy1

Old 09-23-2015, 01:28 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Brent was right! Bring him back!

Old 09-23-2015, 02:16 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Bummer that you got a bad one Michael.

I finally got the one installed in my old F150 also and I'm amazed at the results- both trucks drive SO much better.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:19 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Thanks Walt, anyways got an OEM installed cheap truck feels like a new one. No drama, I have a 2 year parts and labor unlimited mile warranty no questions asked and they have a ton in stock.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:30 AM
Brian from the crypt
Junior User
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Thanks Walt, anyways got an OEM installed cheap truck feels like a new one. No drama, I have a 2 year parts and labor unlimited mile warranty no questions asked and they have a ton in stock.

So you went back to OEM steering box ? Any one else unhappy with REDHEAD??

Old 09-24-2015, 12:13 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Brian from the crypt
So you went back to OEM steering box ? Any one else unhappy with REDHEAD??
Yes and it feels like it should (new truck feel)....

I really believe that most that buy the redhead are because they are replacing a worn out original. So, naturally it feels great when they install it.

I wasn't lucky with the redhead as I've posted earlier, got a couple weeks than she failed completely.

I paid full price for my redhead without returning core. ( figured I'd keep it as a backup ) since mine was close to perfect.

My new OEM feels much smoother than the redhead while it was working. That's all I can say.

At the end of the day the OEM cost me $380 at the dealer and 2 hours labor. I have a full 2 year unlimited mile warranty both part and labor.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:21 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Mine started leaking really bad, put on one from o'smellies. hope it doesn't bite me in the butt like their water pumps and alternators. Didn't have time to wait for one, prolly shoulda went to Ford. Took a 100 ft. pound Snap-on impact and a 2 lb. hammer to get the pitman arm off. Oh yeah, PB Blaster too. Was leaking really bad towing home from Oklahoma had to top it off a few times just to get home.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:47 PM
JIMBO_FID
Senior User
Sounds like a crappy theme. I started to have a drip under my Ex last week and started to investigate and found power steering fluid leaking. From what I can tell, she is dripping from the red cover and not the lines feeding the box. I'm taking it to my diesel shop tomorrow (they did the install), to verify where the leak is.

I did contact Red Head today to let them know I have a leak and am taking it to my shop tomorrow and see what they had to say. More or less prepping them for a call tomorrow and wanted to see how they would initially act. They seemed very receptive and will await a follow up call from my shop if the box is deemed to be the issue.

Quick Reply: Redhead Steering Group Buy