1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Progress Pic, of 56 F 100 project

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 10:59 AM
Don Vito
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Progress Pic, of 56 F 100 project

Old 06-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Don Vito
Senior User
So I wasn't sure these pics would post but looks like they did, 1st pic is basically the stance I have so far, still gotta get the back end at least 1" lower. The front fenders which I originally threw in the scrap pile because they were so bad, minimal rust but all split and dented patched together, however when I got pricing on new ones and shipping, I pulled them back out and spent a couple weeks hammering and dolly, welding, filling etc, to get them back, glad I did. 2nd pic gives a preview of the theme of the truck with the Iron Cross LED tail lights and smooth tailgate. 3rd pic is the bumper less gravel pan. I'm ordering 3" wider rear fenders so I can get a 8.5 x 20" wheel on without tubbing the bed, so I'll sell the back fenders to offset the cost. The truck has a volare front end, ford 9" boxed frame with 390FE & C6. Mif Fifty's adjustable front spring hangars, with one leaf spring removed. Thinking I'll run it in primer for a while until I decide on a color, but this is going to land up being a old school looking Rat Roddy looking truck.It isn't going to be shiny or perfect, just a cool run around kind of truck. I need to get some idea on bench seats also. Will post pics when I paint the old school logo's on the doors, it's gonna be cool!' Don

Old 06-11-2015, 12:51 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking great. Tail lights are awesome Mate.
And I love an FE.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:36 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Vito
So I wasn't sure these pics would post but looks like they did.
Glad to see you got the pics to upload. Nice looking truck!

Old 06-11-2015, 06:34 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
So I wasn't sure these pics would post but looks like they did, 1st pic is basically the stance I have so far, still gotta get the back end at least 1" lower. The front fenders which I originally threw in the scrap pile because they were so bad, minimal rust but all split and dented patched together, however when I got pricing on new ones and shipping, I pulled them back out and spent a couple weeks hammering and dolly, welding, filling etc, to get them back, glad I did. 2nd pic gives a preview of the theme of the truck with the Iron Cross LED tail lights and smooth tailgate. 3rd pic is the bumperless gravel pan. I'm ordering 3" wider rear fenders so I can get a 8.5 x 20" wheel on without tubbing the bed, so I'll sell the back fenders to offset the cost. The truck has a volare front end, ford 9" with 390FE & C6. Thinking I'll run it in primer for a while until I decide on a color, I need to get some idea on bench seats also.

Your truck looks real good, wish you lived closer because I could use those rear fenders. Is that an original box on there?

Old 06-12-2015, 09:30 AM
Don Vito
Senior User
Panel Ford, yes it's an original box, but I've done a lot of work to it, new front section, new stake pockets and i skinned the inside, meaning it was so banged up I tried to hammer and dolly it all out but couldn't, so I went to the metal shop and got 2 pieces cut exactly to size and welded them over the old bed sides, from that point I was able to get the outside dialed in by hammer and dolly and skim coats of rage gold body filler. It isn't perfect but this was supposed to be a rat rod, and I have to keep reminding my self of this as I go.
Don

Old 06-12-2015, 12:55 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Doesn't look like you are going to end up with a rat rod, looks like it's going to be a very nice driver to be proud of. What are you running for drive train?

Old 06-12-2015, 01:15 PM
Marauder2004
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That's going to be (actually it already is) a great looking '56.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:17 PM
Don Vito
Senior User
it has a 390 FE with a C6 and 9" rear. Soon as I get the fiberglass 3 inch wider rear fenders I will be putting the back fenders and a bunch of other parts on craigslist.
Don

Old 06-18-2015, 04:31 PM
Don Vito
Senior User
Just got a bunch of parts last night, bit the bullet and got the 3" wider rear fenders, a chrome tilt cloumn, brake booster kit (firewall mount) and a bunch of other goodies, looks like I'll be busy this weekend.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:09 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Just got a bunch of parts last night, bit the bullet and got the 3" wider rear fenders, a chrome tilt cloumn, brake booster kit (firewall mount) and a bunch of other goodies, looks like I'll be busy this weekend.

Sounds like an early Christmas

Old 06-22-2015, 10:47 AM
Don Vito
Senior User
Updated Pics

Here are some pic of the steering co

lumn install, and the Fat back fenders, looks like I'll be able to run a 10" wide wheel now.

Steering column with 4" column drop and floor mount swivel.<br/>

3 inch wider rear fenders, I have to say, they are really nice, scuff & prime.

Running board to fender is a much cleaner and better fit then the original fenders.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:30 AM
emay
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple things about the rear fenders. I have them on mine, still in gel coat currently. I highly suggest you rhino line the insides on those. When mine were raw I picked up little road debris/pebbles that's been flung up which was of stature and caused some starring/spidering. I do allot of rolling burnouts in mine so the abuse is more than most. Just be aware it's an issue. After lining them, I got no new damage and it's been about 10 months.

I got a 10" under mine without issue on a 305 tire so you should have no issues. I'm going to do a 4" tub so I can run a 12". I just like the look stance wise - no other reason than that.

I too sold off my original fenders, you will have no issue selling those in classified on here.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:45 AM
Don Vito
Senior User
Got the tires and wheels. 18 x 8.5 front and 20 x 10 back with Goodyear Eagle, think I need another inch lower in rear for look I'm after.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:12 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
I like the stance as it sits. I like the truck over all and the fenders you took off as well as the ones you put on. Wish I lived closer.

Quick Reply: Progress Pic, of 56 F 100 project