Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Debugging slightly low boost

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 11:26 PM
tjmike
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, here's another pass. I'm not all that good with colors - hopefully this is better.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:27 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I'm pretty sure Tugly will agree with me that the air intake part is looking normal. It is very common and expected that the filter minder portion on the AIS intake pulls 1/2 way down. That is why many folks swap out that one for the stock filter minder.

There has to be something going on with the air side to give u those elevated egt's.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:00 AM
tjmike
More Turbo
So the filter and minder seem ok.

The high EGTs indicate a problem on the intake side - so we're back to leak testing on the intake side (turbo to manifold, including the manifold)?

The chart above **might** be showing showing something else that I thought was strange. I recall reading that it's better to be in 3rd at higher RPMS vs OD at lower RPM.

I'm pretty sure that chart shows starting a hill in OD and then a downshift and higher RPMs and EGTs. I'm not sure how I could get a quick jump like that in any other way.

So, does that mean that if everything is perfect, then what I should see is a jump in RPM and the EGTs should go down instead of up?

Old 07-27-2015, 12:18 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Between 16 and 16.5, I see that although RPM goes up, Boost and MAP take a sharp drop.

If you were indeed WOT, not holding throttle at a set position, this shouldn't be.

Have you done a boost leak test? Checking your boots?

I won't speculate on too much, since you're getting help from folks who know more than I, rather pointing out this anomaly for opinions.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:27 AM
kbarbee95
Senior User
Yes please let us know if you have checked the boots.

My filter minder melted off when my radiator kept spewing coolant all over the engine, it only left the very end on there. After I had just changed the dang antifreeze!!!

Old 07-27-2015, 12:42 AM
tjmike
More Turbo
I don't know if it was WOT before the downshift and RPM jump. I suspect not.

What I did notice was that if I was going up a hill in od, every time that I paid attention to it, a downshift into 3rd always brought higher EGTs. I remember thinking that more RPMS was supposed to bring more cool air and EGTs should be going down.

I've done a number of boost leak tests. I've been asking about the filter and what not getting enought CFM through the turbo might look like lately because I've been grasping for other options to consider. It appears that we're pointing back toward the boost leak side again though.

If it's a boost leak, it must be something that presents itself only at higher pressure, higher than Ive been testing with.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:45 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
So this is the before pic on the marmon clamp. Does it look right now? The symptoms look like exhaust leak at baby's butt to me.

Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2015, 01:03 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by tjmike
If it's a boost leak, it must be something that presents itself only at higher pressure, higher than Ive been testing with.
I had a leak at the uppipes clamp just behind the turbo. My boost would build, EBP would climb, then EBP would drop and start to build again after a few moments and repeat.

The clamp was loose.

Boots can leak under pressure. How did you do the leak test?

Old 07-27-2015, 05:20 AM
tjmike
More Turbo
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
So this is the before pic on the marmon clamp. Does it look right now? The symptoms look like exhaust leak at baby's butt to me.
I think I took these before tightening to make sure everything looked good.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:00 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
How about smoke out the tailpipe? See and black clouds in the passenger mirror when towing?

Towing - You should see lower EGT's when going from low rpm's (1800ish) in OD to higher rpm's (2200 ish) in 3rd. The key to towing with these trucks is to keep the rpm's at or above 2K when running up grades.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:05 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Also, how responsive is the boost? Does it build boost pressure quickly or does it lag a bit then catch?

Old 07-27-2015, 07:25 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I see those 10 PSI spikes on EBP, a good looking turbo, and wimpy boost with dips opposite of EBP spikes. The last time I saw that on Stinky, he had a leak at the intake plenum, near the CAC boot fitting.

A boost leak can show itself at low pressure, but you have to really look for it. I had about 5 PSI and the Simple Green bubbles out the intake plenum seal looked minor - but I can only speculate what it would have looked like if I had 20 or 30 PSI boost going on. I know for sure that the subtle bubbles were gone after replacing the plenums, and my boost/EBP/EGT numbers showed an obvious improvement.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:47 AM
tjmike
More Turbo
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
How about smoke out the tailpipe? See and black clouds in the passenger mirror when towing?
Nope, you mean a steady stream, or look at a specific time (OD->3 downshift for example)?

Towing - You should see lower EGT's when going from low rpm's (1800ish) in OD to higher rpm's (2200 ish) in 3rd. The key to towing with these trucks is to keep the rpm's at or above 2K when running up grades.
Yes this is what I recall and why I thought it was strange when I saw higher EGT with higher RPMs.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:47 AM
kbarbee95
Senior User
Egt's should go lower at higher rpms unless you mashed the throttle when it down shifted.

I would imagine you have a leak at the boots somewhere.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:22 AM
tjmike
More Turbo
Also, how responsive is the boost? Does it build boost pressure quickly or does it lag a bit then catch?
It seems to pop up quickly and the plateau. I'll find an example later.

Quick Reply: Debugging slightly low boost