1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mildly lifted F-350: Toning down the bounce?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 11:57 PM
SheepShanker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mildly lifted F-350: Toning down the bounce?

Hi everyone, been lurking for a while and this is my first time posting. Done a fair bit of searching concerning my issue, but now it's time to ask the experts!

This is my first full-size truck, first diesel, and first largish camper that I bought it to tow. So it's been quite a crash course learning all the new stuff, but I am in love with the truck (especially now that I've got a DP Tuner in there!), and want to make it work better for my needs.

The truck: Early 99 F-350 7.3 crew cab long bed, with what appears to be a 4 inch lift, on 35" BFG AT's. Has air bags in the back, too.

It's duty: Hauling dirt bikes and the occasional yard stuff in the bed, and towing a small (~5,000 lbs) toy hauler. Honestly, I really should have bought a 3/4 ton, but this was a good deal!

The issue: It's bouncy. Like, real bouncy. So bouncy that it makes it hard to press on the gas pedal consistently because my foot is bouncing off it. In the front, all I see is leaf springs/shocks, so I assume the leaf springs have been upgraded to taller ones. In the back, there is clearly a 3.5" block between the axle and the springs there.

So, what I'm thinking of doing is putting a set of F-250 leaf springs on there (with 2" of lift, like a leveling lift), and then taking the lift block out of the rear. I know it will drop the truck a little bit, but I am okay with that if it will give me some better drivability. Towing the camper should be no sweat, and if I end up getting something bigger down the road, I can just swap in the beefier suspension.

The top product on this page is the leaf spring I was looking at:
99 1999 Ford F250 Super Duty Leaf Spring - Suspension - Pro Comp Suspension, SuperSprings, Front, Rear - PartsGeek

So does this sound like a good plan? Any other ideas? Thanks for any help!

Old 06-09-2015, 12:17 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The springs are generally the same on the F250/350 other than the F350 has a taller block on the rear axle and has the overload springs standard. The quality of the lift kit will play a huge part in the ride quality of the truck as well as shocks, my 06 stock F350 was super stiff and bouncy empty or towing and after checking the part numbers on the Napa shocks I found they were actually meant for a duly truck. It still doesn't ride like a Lincoln but definitely more how I would prefer a super duty to ride and doesn't try to buck the trailer off the back of the truck anymore.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:53 AM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Before replacing springs try a good quality shock like a bilstein or pro comp prorunner. Both of these have made my superdutys ride softer. Bounce usually means your shocks are worn out!

Old 06-09-2015, 10:00 AM
slpcth
Senior User
I have an 03 F350 that is lifted also. The first time I drove it, it also bounced like you described. I put adjustable shocks all around and it drove like stock again. I run the shocks on the softest setting empty and adjust accordingly when I haul or tow.

Paul

Old 06-09-2015, 10:09 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Old 06-09-2015, 12:28 PM
SheepShanker
New User
Wow, thanks for all the replies! Shocks it is, I really like the idea of getting those Ranchos and being able to tune them for what I'm doing. Little more cost (okay like 2x), but so much more versatile.

Alrighty, so shocks need to happen. Still thinking about taking the lift down to just a leveling lift, which should be simple for the rear; just take out the blocks.

The front, however, is just a leaf spring/shock. Does that mean it's the leaf spring that's giving it the lift?

I should also add that the only reason I want to reduce the lift is just to make it easier to get the bikes and other stuff into the bed. Nothing worse than struggling to get a bike up a ramp and almost have it land on you!

Old 06-09-2015, 12:56 PM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Don't forget about this!!!
Promotions

Info in quote below too.

Originally Posted by SheepShanker
Wow, thanks for all the replies! Shocks it is, I really like the idea of getting those Ranchos and being able to tune them for what I'm doing. Little more cost (okay like 2x), but so much more versatile.

Alrighty, so shocks need to happen. Still thinking about taking the lift down to just a leveling lift, which should be simple for the rear; just take out the blocks.

The front, however, is just a leaf spring/shock. Does that mean it's the leaf spring that's giving it the lift? Yes the leaf spring or it could be an add-a-leaf, but most likely a true spring pack. Also shocks will be for a 4" lift too.

I should also add that the only reason I want to reduce the lift is just to make it easier to get the bikes and other stuff into the bed. Nothing worse than struggling to get a bike up a ramp and almost have it land on you!

Old 06-09-2015, 06:03 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ARB Old man emu springs are supposed to provide a smoother ride. No experience with them myself though.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:56 PM
Tom A
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The front, however, is just a leaf spring/shock. Does that mean it's the leaf spring that's giving it the lift?
They're probably the stock blocks. You may also have an add-a-leaf in the rear, which will make the ride stiffer. If you have one, I would remove that to start.

The front springs would be part of the lift kit. Blocks in the front are a no-no.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:19 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is the camper hooked up in your picture? The back of the truck from the looks of the picture is sitting at a fairly normal height for a F350 and the front looks a lot like my buddies old 99 with a 2 inch lift add A leaf. This is how my 06 f350 sits unloaded (stock 18" rims with stock 34" tires and no lift).

Old 06-10-2015, 02:12 AM
SheepShanker
New User
Twigs, so that's all stock? Good lookin truck btw. How about this: I'll take a pic of my front and rear axle setups so you guys can tell me for sure. I tried looking at the fordparts.com site, and there's like 5 different blocks that could be under there.

Once I get the whole spring situation figured out, I'm definitely going to order up some of those Ranchos, with that rebate they're only around $250, worth it for that adjustability.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:00 AM
Super Duty DJ
More Turbo
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
The Rancho RS 9000 shocks are a great addition and I think will help your problem immensely. Also remember to check the pressure in the tires. Those 35" tires will not need to run nearly as much air pressure in them as the stock size. Here is a link to a document that you can use to calculate the correct pressures for your oversized tires to match the load carrying capacity of the stock size tires at the pressures listed on the door jamb/fuel door/glove box sticker.

http://toyotires.com/sites/default/f...-LT_102913.pdf

You may be surprised at how little pressure you need to run in the larger tires to have the correct load carrying capacity. I had 315/75/16 on my 2003 and I calculated a pressure less than 35 psi using the document above. Running too much air in the tires can create a situation where the suspension isn't really allowed to do its job.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:59 PM
SheepShanker
New User
Originally Posted by Super Duty DJ
The Rancho RS 9000 shocks are a great addition and I think will help your problem immensely. Also remember to check the pressure in the tires. Those 35" tires will not need to run nearly as much air pressure in them as the stock size. Here is a link to a document that you can use to calculate the correct pressures for your oversized tires to match the load carrying capacity of the stock size tires at the pressures listed on the door jamb/fuel door/glove box sticker.

http://toyotires.com/sites/default/f...-LT_102913.pdf

You may be surprised at how little pressure you need to run in the larger tires to have the correct load carrying capacity. I had 315/75/16 on my 2003 and I calculated a pressure less than 35 psi using the document above. Running too much air in the tires can create a situation where the suspension isn't really allowed to do its job.
Oh, interesting! I've seen some really high recommendations, but I think I have mine set at around 40 front and 50 rear right now. I'll take a look at that, thanks man. I know how much of a difference tire pressure makes when wheeling, same goes for a bumpy road i suppose...

As promised, here are some pics of my suspension, I would be shocked (no pun intended) if it is stock. Front:

Rear:

Old 06-10-2015, 08:32 PM
SheepShanker
New User
anyone know if that block on the back there is stock?

Old 06-10-2015, 10:58 PM
Tom A
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
anyone know if that block on the back there is stock?
It appears to be.

Quick Reply: Mildly lifted F-350: Toning down the bounce?