1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Binding in steering wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 01:25 PM
Platinum08
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,

I noticed that I am having binding in my steering wheel when turning left and right. Anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks,
Calvin

Old 06-07-2015, 02:36 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Platinum08
Hello Everyone,

I noticed that I am having binding in my steering wheel when turning left and right. Anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks,
Calvin
Check your ball joints and u joints

Old 06-07-2015, 06:55 PM
Platinum08
Senior User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Check your ball joints and u joints
I know how to check the ball joints but I'm not sure how to check the u joints in the hub. Every google search I do comes up with how to check the drive shaft u joints, those are good since they were just replaced last week. So how would I check the u joints in the hub.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:19 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
It's hard to tell from a brief written description, but it sounds like your steering shaft U-joints may be failing. Does it vary with speed or occur all the time? At certain points when you turn the wheel?

Old 06-07-2015, 07:28 PM
Platinum08
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
It's hard to tell from a brief written description, but it sounds like your steering shaft U-joints may be failing. Does it vary with speed or occur all the time? At certain points when you turn the wheel?
It disappears when turning at higher speeds. If I'm remembering right 15 or higher I don't feel it. I feel it on both sides when I first start turning, then it sort of "releases" the wheel after about a 1/4 turn of the steering wheel.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:00 AM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am having a very similar problem as you are. If you just bump the rpms up a little does it make turning the wheel easier? It does on mine.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:23 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
factory size (32") tires or oversized tires?

also, remember these are big heavy monsters. How old is your truck. Both my old 2002 Excursion and old 2006 F-250 had issues turning 35" rubber when <10 mph, but any faster speeds they were fine. the power steering pumps weren't up to snuff for the larger tires.

what year is your truck? 99-04 trucks are slightly different up front than 05-15 trucks

Old 06-08-2015, 08:26 AM
SHAWZER
Junior User
My guess would be front axel u-joints are binding up.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:57 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Calvin,
The general answers here are good for your general description. What Im getting at is we need a little more info, the crystal ball isn't working. Year, model, 2x or 4x, engine/trans combo, tires/rims, if not factory. Miles on truck. Auto 4x4 (ESOF) or manual hubs? Any recent service performed etc...
If in fact you do have a 4x4, are you in or out of 4wd right now? How familiar are you with how a 4X4 reacts on different surfaces?

Old 06-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Platinum08
Senior User
Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Calvin,
The general answers here are good for your general description. What Im getting at is we need a little more info, the crystal ball isn't working. Year, model, 2x or 4x, engine/trans combo, tires/rims, if not factory. Miles on truck. Auto 4x4 (ESOF) or manual hubs? Any recent service performed etc...
If in fact you do have a 4x4, are you in or out of 4wd right now? How familiar are you with how a 4X4 reacts on different surfaces?

I have 2008 f-250 with the 5.4 and auto transmission. 4 wheel drive with auto hubs (both Hubs are on auto). Also just regular rim and tire combo. It has 115xxx miles on it with the only recent service being u joints on the driveshaft last week and last summer the ball joints and hub on the pass side. I do know the difference between being in 2/4 wheel drive, the truck is in 2 wheel right now. Any other suggestions?

Old 06-09-2015, 11:52 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
You are at the point on miles that I(we) say its the front ujoints out by the hubs. If they are sloppy thats easy to see w/o dis-assembly. If they're bound up, as we suspect is your problem, its harder to tell until disassembled. If your getting the sensation of the 4WD bind while nothing is engaged I say its a definite ujoint bind issue.
What I and others tell everyone is...if your in that deep just plan on replacing the hub/bearing assemblies(one in your case) and the ujoints on both front shafts. Insp the ball joints (again) and steer linkages too. MAW do it all at once if you have the $. It will save you in the long run. Make sure everything gets anti-seized before re-assembly.
This bind problem generally arises due to lack of 4WD engagement and water wicking in to the ujoing due to lack of grease. I recommend these front joints get greased every 5K minimum.
Use Spicer replacement ujoints. If your **** buy a separate grease gun and buy the recommended Spicer grease dedicated for their ujoints.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:57 PM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is good info, sorry op, not trying to hijack your thread.

However that is not my problem, it feels like I have no power steering until I raise the rpms to about 1100 or so. I can't imagine that my 35/12.50s are the only colprit

Old 06-09-2015, 07:09 PM
Platinum08
Senior User
Originally Posted by im2tall33
That is good info, sorry op, not trying to hijack your thread.

However that is not my problem, it feels like I have no power steering until I raise the rpms to about 1100 or so. I can't imagine that my 35/12.50s are the only colprit
Yours sounds like a power steering pump going bad

Old 06-09-2015, 07:11 PM
Platinum08
Senior User
Originally Posted by droldsmorland
You are at the point on miles that I(we) say its the front ujoints out by the hubs. If they are sloppy thats easy to see w/o dis-assembly. If they're bound up, as we suspect is your problem, its harder to tell until disassembled. If your getting the sensation of the 4WD bind while nothing is engaged I say its a definite ujoint bind issue.
What I and others tell everyone is...if your in that deep just plan on replacing the hub/bearing assemblies(one in your case) and the ujoints on both front shafts. Insp the ball joints (again) and steer linkages too. MAW do it all at once if you have the $. It will save you in the long run. Make sure everything gets anti-seized before re-assembly.
This bind problem generally arises due to lack of 4WD engagement and water wicking in to the ujoing due to lack of grease. I recommend these front joints get greased every 5K minimum.
Use Spicer replacement ujoints. If your **** buy a separate grease gun and buy the recommended Spicer grease dedicated for their ujoints.
Thank you for the info!

Old 06-10-2015, 10:28 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
However I dont see how if your hubs are free? Verify they are not locked in and are both in the auto position and get back to us. If they are both in auto then the shafts shouldnt be rotating thus no binding sensation. If thats the case then Im at a loss.

Quick Reply: Binding in steering wheel.