Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 F-350 Steering Column Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 03:07 PM
Collin75
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 F-350 Steering Column Issues

I have been unable to find much information on repairing a wobbly steering wheel/column so figured I would throw this out there for people suffering the same issue. I will say that this is a terrible issue to have as far as safety goes and it's not fun to dig into but well worth it.

My steering wheel would move 1-1.5 inches up, down. left and right. It has been that way since I purchased it, but for $2000 a 5-speed 7.3l idi king cab I wasn't going to complain. It runs great and the only mandatory repair was the diesel distribution pump and replacing the mechanical uplift pump with an electrical diesel pump. There is plenty of information out there on this repair though.

Alright, so from day 1 my steering wheel has wobbled and I didn't give it too much thought, it was on my list of things to repair and I meant to do so in the next few months. Well, my truck decided that it was time to do so NOW!

I was turning left when my steering wheel locked in place and wouldn't return to center. There was a loud cracking and grinding sound and after some serious effort I was able to steer the truck up into a parking lot. As I forced the wheel back to center the steering column rained several plastic pieces that looked like some sort of collar as well as some metal pins that appeared to be sheered off. I got the truck towed home and pulled the steering wheel. I spent the money on the steering wheel puller and learned that it was a waste. As I tightened down the center bolt to push against the shaft it ripped the threads out of the pilot holes on the steering wheel. I finally sprayed a white silicon lubricant around the shaft and began yanking the wheel one side at a time. (left, right, top, bottom)

Be sure, if you use this method, that you leave the bolt in the shaft a few turns. If you don't then you are looking at a broken nose when the wheel finally comes flying off.

I had been told that I needed a new clock spring and knew I was going to need new bearings. I was soon to learn that the 93 has no clock spring. It has a horn contact ring. This had been folded in half and the plastic collar pieces that had fallen out as I turned the wheel were from this part. The metal pins that had broken and sheered off were from the contact brush harness assembly. Finally, after removing the spring, which had broken in to 2 parts and slipped over itself, the retaining ring and the aluminum space that fits between the smaller upper bearing and shaft (this had broken off at the flange as well) I realized that I was in trouble.

I have spent the past few weeks trying to track down these parts and learned that it would probably be easier to mill all the parts myself (not going to happen). I was only able to find one place where these parts were available on the internet called Steering Column Services at:

Steering Column Parts, Replacement, & How to Instructions

They seem to be pretty proud of their parts and some are fairly pricy but they have everything you need and the PDF instructions to do all of the work yourself if you are willing to spend an extra $21.95 after paying for the parts and shipping.

I was able to find:

Ford Steering Column Upper Bearing Retainer Kit

Ford Horn Contact Ring

This is what many newer trucks have instead of a clock spring

Horn Spring Brush Contact Assembly

These look to be fairly simple parts and kits and after all is said and done and I add the #20 Torx Gol Screws everything totaled up to $357.27 plus shipping.

You can tack on $21.95 if you want the PDF instructions to go with it.

I guess that the pricing isn't so bad. At least I was able to get everything I needed in one place.

I know that the steering column issues I am experiencing are common in Fords and with the mass shortage of information regarding these issues out there I wanted to share.

This website also has complete steering column assemblies for purchase if you need a refurbished one. If it has to do with older OEM parts for steering they seem to have it.

I hope this helps anyone else having issues. If you know of any other places to get these parts for an early 90's Ford F-250 or F-350 please leave a comment. It is getting harder and harder to find parts. I got this truck to refurbish and that is proving to be my biggest challenge, finding parts.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:53 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
you probably could have just pulled a used steering column from a truck (or car of correct vintage) from the salvage yard and bolted than in,quicker and cheaper.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:21 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
you probably could have just pulled a used steering column from a truck (or car of correct vintage) from the salvage yard and bolted than in,quicker and cheaper.

Plus that may not fix the problem if it is tilt

Old 05-31-2015, 11:59 PM
Collin75
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually tried that and it seems that around here this year ford is a nightmare to find parts for. Every yard I have called says they have nothing close. tons of 150's but zero 250's or 350's. I didn't think it would be that hard getting parts but live and learn, it's still a fun project.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:26 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Collin75
I actually tried that and it seems that around here this year ford is a nightmare to find parts for. Every yard I have called says they have nothing close. tons of 150's but zero 250's or 350's. I didn't think it would be that hard getting parts but live and learn, it's still a fun project.
Same column. There are also some LTDs / Grand Marquis that will work cant remember the years. You probably need the tilt mechanism