Sponsored by:

Proper Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 11:02 AM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proper Hitch

So, I am looking to buy a hitch for my Ex. It has the 4" lift and the 35" tires on it, so i am thinking of getting this 8" adjustable drop hitch.

For all of you seasoned Ex towers, am I in the right ball park for drop length? Also, what hitches has everyone found to be the best quality, reliability and over all usability?

I need a good hitch for pulling a u-haul trailer in my upcoming move to the Seattle area...

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2015, 11:22 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
David, If you can ahead of time, find out what the hitch height is on the trailer when sitting level, then verify that whatever drop drawbar you are looking at will be able to be adjusted to match that height.
I use one of these for our boat trailer and small utility trailer, it adjusts to the perfect height for the boat but is still a little too high for the 5'X8' utility trailer's hitch.
Adjustable Tri-ball Hitch | AW Direct I paid less than this for it, I don't recall where but some web shopping should find it for a better price.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:37 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ball mount you've posted usually runs around $90 IF memory serves.
You can go really cheap BUT safe if you want at Harbor Freight. I prefer the solid H/D ball mounts (10000 to 12000 rated). H/F sells a straight, solid, tri-ball for $24 with coupon. It will easily do what you want & since you are just now looking for a ball mount I assume you do not tow often. Northern & others sell a solid, Buyers Label I use & like as well. I run a 4" lift /drop Buyers up on the stocker & down on a 6" w/37's, this type of B mount with ball should set you back about $40-$50. EITHER are over kill for this single tow your doing. Your stock receiver is only rated at 600/6000 at best and U-hall does not really rent any heavy load trailers because of the liability AS well as how few rigs could legally tow them.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:45 AM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
I should add that what ever I buy is for future use as once we are settled up north, we are thinking of finally getting a camper trailer. If all goes well, we will be doing a big road trip in 2016...

Thanks again everyone for the information.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:04 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
David, For anything more than a pop-up/tent trailer or very small TT you will be using a WD hitch so what ever you buy for this move will remain for utility trailers and such.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:07 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by USCG_PA
I should add that what ever I buy is for future use as once we are settled up north, we are thinking of finally getting a camper trailer. If all goes well, we will be doing a big road trip in 2016...

Thanks again everyone for the information.

Don't sweat the ball mount for a trailer/rig you don't have yet !! Good chance it will be wrong anyway I have 5 to 6 different ball mounts laying around, used when needed on not at all. You should get what you need for this trip ($25 to $50 max) I.M.H.O. U-hall may even rent a B/M for $10-$15 ??

Old 05-31-2015, 12:09 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
DANG TOM : You a speed typer

Old 05-31-2015, 12:53 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Tom's Towing senses were tingling....

Old 05-31-2015, 08:40 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
I've ran anything from 12 inch drop to a 4 inch drop on my ex. You need to be careful on the wt ratings. My mother in law had a adjustable cushion hitch break on her this weekend due to prob 1,000 lbs over the wt rating on the tounge.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:48 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
I've ran anything from 12 inch drop to a 4 inch drop on my ex. You need to be careful on the wt ratings. My mother in law had a adjustable cushion hitch break on her this weekend due to prob 1,000 lbs over the wt rating on the tounge.
x2 on that... every time ive looked at drop hitches for the lifted vehicles just to see if they could rate anywhere near what the regular hitches were for stock heights i noticed a sharp decline in weight ratings the lower the ball had to drop.. just something to keep in mind when your shopping.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:19 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use this, even though it's rated for 10k lbs. I use it as a light duty
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  49.9 KB

Old 05-31-2015, 09:32 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I ran a 3.5' on my last Excursion and pulled a 24ft enclosed car hauler around.

You read that correctly...3.5' so roughly 42".

Old 05-31-2015, 09:38 PM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What ever you do in the future, make sure it's installed correctly. I'm dealing with a busted up WD hitch with built in sway control right now that I'm finding the dealer installed incorrectly. Pulled into the park on Friday night and it was popping and creaking to the point other people came out of their trailers. On a side note, where you moving to near Seattle, I'm about an hour or so north.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:36 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by BigGreenEx
What ever you do in the future, make sure it's installed correctly. I'm dealing with a busted up WD hitch with built in sway control right now that I'm finding the dealer installed incorrectly. Pulled into the park on Friday night and it was popping and creaking to the point other people came out of their trailers. On a side note, where you moving to near Seattle, I'm about an hour or so north.

Sorry to hear about the hitch problems, what hitch is it and what is the issue? Your TT is a pretty big unit and may be too much for a less than robust WD setup.

How is your daughter doing?

Old 06-01-2015, 10:17 AM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by BigGreenEx
What ever you do in the future, make sure it's installed correctly. I'm dealing with a busted up WD hitch with built in sway control right now that I'm finding the dealer installed incorrectly. Pulled into the park on Friday night and it was popping and creaking to the point other people came out of their trailers. ...
What actual hitch is it? Our Equalizer WD hitch will groan and pop, but when properly lubed will quiet down. The Equalizer uses friction between the bar and the end mounts of the bar to reduce sway. The front bar sockets are metal to metal and the L brackets at the other end are metal to metal unless you get the rubber pads.

Quick Reply: Proper Hitch