Sponsored by: Moser

Salvage title f150?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 04:29 PM
Bradley_smith28
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salvage title f150?

Ok so Ive been really looking into getting a 2011-2014 f150 but I can't afford a new or used truck so I was wondering if a salvage vehicle is a good choice. There a lot of really nice lariats and fx4s for around 8000-10,000$ and some only have about 40,000 miles. But those are just "buy it now" prices, there's a ton more for auction which I may also be able to get for less $$. Btw they have front end damage (fenders,hood,bumper,lights..ect) but the radiators and mechanical parts are not damaged. There also run and drive verified.

So what I was wondering is could I just buy fenders and hood with the same color and just slap em on instead of repainting ****? I also have shop and could easily make brackets or whatever to make stuff fit if needed (been there done that), but most of them seem pretty straight forward. Let me know if you think this would be reasonable or if I've got my head in the couds dreaming about having one of those badass rigs haha

Old 05-30-2015, 04:32 PM
Bradley_smith28
New User
Also is it reasonable to get a bumper, hood, lights, fenders, grill and that peice that goes under the grill for around 2000$?

Old 05-30-2015, 06:02 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Bradley_smith28
Also is it reasonable to get a bumper, hood, lights, fenders, grill and that peice that goes under the grill for around 2000$?
Yes, but you probably won't find the color you need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-14-FORD-F-150-Fx-4-Complete-Frond-End-Take-Of-Used-Oem-/261907514839?hash=item3cfae785d7&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-14-FORD-F-150-Fx-4-Complete-Frond-End-Take-Of-Used-Oem-/261894705097?hash=item3cfa240fc9&vxp=mtr

Old 05-30-2015, 07:27 PM
Bradley_smith28
New User
Thanks man that helped out a lot! and I'll probably check local salvage yards if I can't find the right color on eBay

Old 05-31-2015, 10:32 PM
PinMd
Senior User
Check your local MVA/DMV to see what your laws are for title, inspection, and tagging salvage title vehicles in your state. Check with your insurance carrier to see if they'll insure it. If you plan on taking a loan out for the purchase, make sure the bank will front the money on a branded title.

To give you an example. In my state (Maryland). When an insurance co totals a vehicle, they have to mark the title as rebuildable, parts, flood, fire, theft, etc... Before they send the title to the MVA. If they mark it anything other than "rebuildable" the MVA will not title the vehicle again for road use in tbe state of MD.

And remember, after its complete and you've gone through all the hoops, you'll still be driving a branded title vehicle. Your ACV of the truck will always be lower then a comparable "clean" title truck. Heaven forbid you total it, your insurance company may not pay you retail value for the loss because of the branded title. And some states require you to disclose that it is a rebuilt total loss upon you selling it.

FACT!!!! Most rebuildable total loss vehicles sold in tbe US are taken out of the country. That should tell you something. It's too much of a PIA to re-title them here in the good ol USA.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:06 PM
Trailblazen
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Beat me to it. You nailed buying a salvage titled vehicle. If money is tight maybe save up for a bit to have a sweet down payment on a used and that will make things easier for you.

Originally Posted by PinMd
Check your local MVA/DMV to see what your laws are for title, inspection, and tagging salvage title vehicles in your state. Check with your insurance carrier to see if they'll insure it. If you plan on taking a loan out for the purchase, make sure the bank will front the money on a branded title.

To give you an example. In my state (Maryland). When an insurance co totals a vehicle, they have to mark the title as rebuildable, parts, flood, fire, theft, etc... Before they send the title to the MVA. If they mark it anything other than "rebuildable" the MVA will not title the vehicle again for road use in tbe state of MD.

And remember, after its complete and you've gone through all the hoops, you'll still be driving a branded title vehicle. Your ACV of the truck will always be lower then a comparable "clean" title truck. Heaven forbid you total it, your insurance company may not pay you retail value for the loss because of the branded title. And some states require you to disclose that it is a rebuilt total loss upon you selling it.

FACT!!!! Most rebuildable total loss vehicles sold in tbe US are taken out of the country. That should tell you something. It's too much of a PIA to re-title them here in the good ol USA.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:05 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 441 Likes on 323 Posts
Around here a "salvage" title vehicle can't be registered and driven on the road until it's been fixed and then passed a fairly rigorous inspection to get the title changed to "rebuilt status". Those "rebuilt" trucks are never worth anything close to the same value as a truck with clean status. No matter who did the work. In fact, in some cases they are nearly impossible to sell no matter what the price.

I understand the need to save your pennies man, I've been there, but make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:20 PM
Olytlr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My mom's cousin has an autobody shop and I wanted a newer vehicle but didn't have allot of money. I bought a '95 Blazer in '96 for $6k from a rebuildables yard and had him do the work to make it close to new as possible. It had 12k miles on it at the time. Was it perfect? No, but I kept it for half a dozen years and then sold it to my in-laws. They drove it for a few years and then they sold it to some other relatives. We did get some use out of the vehicle.

The only issues we had were not accident repair related but the typical GM mechanical issues that were fairly common. Things to consider:

If you need to finance make sure you can get financing from your financial institution. I was able to secure an auto loan through U.S. Bank at the time.

Talk with your insurance agent and make them aware of your plans so there aren't issues with insuring a vehicle with a branded title.

The title will be branded. Here in the State of Washington the vehicle must go through an inspection by the State Patrol. This wasn't too big of a deal. I had to present all of the receipts for everything that was purchased. WSP was more concerned that stolen parts weren't involved in the reconstruction than if the vehicle was road worthy.

Yes a vehicle with a branded title is worth less and harder to sell but if you are buying one to keep, you're doing it to save money.

If you do decide to sell it down the road yes, it will be harder to sell but not impossible. In the State of Washington a Dealer is required to notify the buyer if a title is branded but an individual seller is not. Don't be that guy. Be upfront with prospective buyers. CL ads have a spot for title status. If a buyer is looking for a car they should review the title before money changes hands but some people don't know what to look for. Again, this is where it is important to disclose the history of a vehicle.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:37 PM
Bradley_smith28
New User
Thanks guys! I wouldn't have to take a loan for the truck itself, and I've never made payments on anything and would rather not do it, but I thought it was relatively easy to get a repaired salvage title? I'm from kansas and I'm not 100% sure on the rules but I think it's a lot easier here. Don't you just go and get the vehicle inspected by a certified officer to make sure none of the parts are stolen? Then you get the repaired salvage title? And I'm not too worried about insurance, also remember these trucks are run and drive verified (might help.. might not make any difference).

Old 06-04-2015, 09:54 AM
96grimreaper
Senior User
Here in Kansas the vehicle will need to be inspected by the Highway Patrol similar to an out of state title. Back in my Mustang days I had a couple salvage cars (theft recovery) They were still a salvage branded title but never had issues registering or getting insurance.