6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ford Releases TSB 15-0088 For 2015 Active Regeneration Jackhammer Valves Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 06:04 PM
expeditor97
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Amelio
Has anyone had experience with a lemon law buy back? I was just reading the basis for it on the BBB site and one stipulation was an attempt to repair of 3 times. I've had the truck at the dealer twice. The biggest problem I see is that they don't drive the truck long enough to initiate a regen. They will never catch it if they don't drive it long enough.

The regional rep gives me the line of " well we cannot diagnose it if it does not act up" well I understand that but it does not mean it doesn't have a problem!

Today I did a little documentation ...... Regen light came on at 5:05 pm @ 16,280 miles almost exactly 10 minutes after that and seven miles down the road it started knocking. I got it recorded . Then at 5:35 and 16,292 it got bad knocking louder and no power.... Also on video.

This tells me it's directly heat related as 10 minutes into regen I am sure cylinder head temps are cooking. I am starting to Change my thinking about the real possibility there is metal contact in the cylinder...... It sure as hell sounds like it��
You got the video again today....take the truck back in tomorrow. Thats 3 "attempts".....Even if they say theres nothing they can do, ask them to look at it...tell them you are afraid its unsafe...be nice and dont mention BBB...get your receipt and start the process....but their not just going to hand you a check....BBB will most likely give them another attempt to fix it....EDIT..(I personally didnt ask Ford to make any "attempts" to fix it I just wanted my money back....BBB had them "attempt" to paint the vehicle 3 times)...The laws in your state might be different....on another side note....if the BBB requres 3 repair "attempts" in your state....and ford tells you "theres nothing we can do"...BBB will "make" them "attempt" to fix it a 3rd time...so I wouldnt worry to much if you are met with resistance from ford, after you go to BBB, its basically out of Fords hands as to weather or not they will "attempt" to fix it again....did that make sense?...................If people feel this is waaaay off topic then just PM me......but I would argue that it sorta kinda relates to the topic, but thats for the suits @ FTE to decide

Old 08-17-2015, 08:25 PM
David1986
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I would trade it and never look back. Not worth all the stress and drama. Dealer would probably give you around $54 on a 15 Platinum trade in. Not sure how much you owe, as it may not be feasible for you.

Good luck!

Old 08-17-2015, 09:03 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Originally Posted by expeditor97
You got the video again today....take the truck back in tomorrow. Thats 3 "attempts".....Even if they say theres nothing they can do, ask them to look at it...tell them you are afraid its unsafe...be nice and dont mention BBB...get your receipt and start the process....but their not just going to hand you a check....BBB will most likely give them another attempt to fix it....EDIT..(I personally didnt ask Ford to make any "attempts" to fix it I just wanted my money back....BBB had them "attempt" to paint the vehicle 3 times)...The laws in your state might be different....on another side note....if the BBB requres 3 repair "attempts" in your state....and ford tells you "theres nothing we can do"...BBB will "make" them "attempt" to fix it a 3rd time...so I wouldnt worry to much if you are met with resistance from ford, after you go to BBB, its basically out of Fords hands as to weather or not they will "attempt" to fix it again....did that make sense?...................If people feel this is waaaay off topic then just PM me......but I would argue that it sorta kinda relates to the topic, but thats for the suits @ FTE to decide
I do plan to bring it back this week and I am going to a different dealer not happy with the other one. I will make as much noise as possible. I had very big reservations about buying a new diesel because I knew the EPA crap causes problems...... Figures I get one that has issues. Anyway I know Ford will fight I am prepared for it I am not scared to scrap! It's just very unfortunate situation to deal with.

I will document everything and log everything and go through the proper channels. I will keep you guys posted

Thanks

Old 08-17-2015, 09:06 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Originally Posted by David1986
I would trade it and never look back. Not worth all the stress and drama. Dealer would probably give you around $54 on a 15 Platinum trade in. Not sure how much you owe, as it may not be feasible for you. Good luck!
I try to avoid stress and drama at all cost I have little to none in my life but this truck is a main source at the moment, I have not even had this truck a year yet..... Your probably right they would not give me much I don't think and it wouldn't do much good I heard the problem is affecting the '16's also????

Old 08-18-2015, 04:44 AM
wharrell
Tuned

I try to avoid stress and drama at all cost I have little to none in my life but this truck is a main source at the moment, I have not even had this truck a year yet..... Your probably right they would not give me much I don't think and it wouldn't do much good I heard the problem is affecting the '16's also????
Per the new informational bulletin that Ford issued last week, it referenced that some 2016s have the issue also.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:41 AM
Thom12
Senior User
The one problem I see with going the BBB route is that the BBB will take it for a test drive also during the arbitration process, since it only does it during regen and if it doesn't do it for the BBB, they may agree with Ford that it is a non-issue or normal. Had that happen during my attempt to lemon my rear end bounce at 40-45 mph issue.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:17 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Thom12
The one problem I see with going the BBB route is that the BBB will take it for a test drive also during the arbitration process, since it only does it during regen and if it doesn't do it for the BBB, they may agree with Ford that it is a non-issue or normal. Had that happen during my attempt to lemon my rear end bounce at 40-45 mph issue.
Interesting - any more details on the 40-45 rear end bounce issue?
Have you resolved?

Old 08-18-2015, 09:41 AM
Thom12
Senior User
Everything you wanted to know about rear end bounce.
No, I never have resolved it.

But one other point about going the lemon law route I forgot to mention, if the BBB does rule for Ford, then Ford never has to fix that problem on your truck at their cost, even if they come up with a fix later. It will get flagged in OASIS for that issue. To get them to apply any potential fix, you must pay for it....
They might do it as a good faith fix, but after you waged war on them, I think the chances would be very slim.

The cost of doing battle.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:57 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Thom - yes, I am actually a late contributor to that thread.
I took mine to the dealer and rode around with one of their mechanics for about 30 miles or so.. As he drove the truck, he experienced the shudder as well.. He noted it in the trucks history in case there ever is a fix from Ford.
Having lost a Lemon Law suit over a real Nightmare motorhome that was dangerous and never made right - I am painfully aware of what sort of a position that leaves you in...

Note - I have since put Bags in the truck and it is somewhat better with 10 PSI in the bags, but it is still there...

Old 08-18-2015, 11:57 AM
expeditor97
Freshman User
Not if he has video and the tsbs ford released....BBB arbitrators are volunteer lawyers and know the difference between constant and intermitent.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:02 PM
expeditor97
Freshman User
Everything you wanted to know about rear end bounce.
No, I never have resolved it.

But one other point about going the lemon law route I forgot to mention, if the BBB does rule for Ford, then Ford never has to fix that problem on your truck at their cost, even if they come up with a fix later. It will get flagged in OASIS for that issue. To get them to apply any potential fix, you must pay for it....
They might do it as a good faith fix, but after you waged war on them, I think the chances would be very slim.

The cost of doing battle.
I lemon lawed a vehicle in Fl.....I looked at my paper work, and checked the BBB autoline site, and I cant find this stipulation anywhere.....Do you have a link to these (very specific) claims?....

Old 08-18-2015, 12:35 PM
Thom12
Senior User
Not if he has video and the tsbs ford released....BBB arbitrators are volunteer lawyers and know the difference between constant and intermitent.
From the BBB: "BBB AUTO LINE arbitrators are attorneys or other persons with arbitration experience, who are interested in the fair and expeditious resolution of consumer disputes."
My arbitrator was a retired air traffic controller, yes they are volunteers but no they are not all lawyers.

I lemon lawed a vehicle in Fl.....I looked at my paper work, and checked the BBB autoline site, and I cant find this stipulation anywhere.....Do you have a link to these claims?....
Again from the BBB:
The manufacturer will be bound to abide by the decision and comply with its terms (subject to any limited right of review that may be provided by state or federal law)
The consumer must comply with the terms of the decision.

In my case, Arbitrator ruled Ford did not have to fix it, and Ford marked my OASIS as such.

Also, the In Florida, an 2011 F-350 does NOT qualify for the State of Florida's Attorney General’s Lemon Law Arbitration because of the Gross vehicle weight, only option I had was the BBB arbitration.

I did not intend to hijack this thread, and I know that legal advice is against board policy so this ends this portion of the lemon law conversation for me.....

Old 08-18-2015, 12:50 PM
Amelio
Senior User
So from what I am reading it sounds like I have some consequences if I file a lemon law and loose. If I lost that battle the truck will be marked as a problem in its history which would hurt me on a resale or trade correct?

If I didn't go that route I would need to wait a year or 2 to trade in so I don't loose a bunch of money.

I still want to know what the hell is causing the racket..... I am less concerned with what's causing the overall problem as I am what's hurting the engine long term. If Pistons are slapping valves that is absolutely a big issue especially for longevity. If it's a case of bad detonation that's hell on main an rod bearings again a longevity issue with the engine.

Let's say a " re flash " fixed the shutter and noise. Who can say that loud knocking has not caused internal damage? No one can tell unless the engine was torn down and inspected which i know they wouldn't do that.

It seems like I'm gonna get screwed pretty hard no matter which way I go.

Unbelievable .......

Old 08-18-2015, 12:55 PM
expeditor97
Freshman User
From the BBB:

Again from the BBB:
The manufacturer will be bound to abide by the decision and comply with its terms (subject to any limited right of review that may be provided by state or federal law)
The consumer must comply with the terms of the decision.

In my case, Arbitrator ruled Ford did not have to fix it, and Ford marked my OASIS as such.

Also, the In Florida, an 2011 F-350 does NOT qualify for the State of Florida's Attorney General’s Lemon Law Arbitration because of the Gross vehicle weight, only option I had was the BBB arbitration.

I did not intend to hijack this thread, and I know that legal advice is against board policy so this ends this portion of the lemon law conversation for me.....
yeah sorry, but thats not even within a mile of what you claimed above...not even close.....Try posting the page that states clearly, " If the BBB rules against you, Ford will never have to repair your vehicle even if a fix is found"...Then post the page that specifically mentions an "oasis report"....because THATS what you claimed...

Old 08-18-2015, 01:08 PM
expeditor97
Freshman User
So from what I am reading it sounds like I have some consequences if I file a lemon law and loose. If I lost that battle the truck will be marked as a problem in its history which would hurt me on a resale or trade correct?

If I didn't go that route I would need to wait a year or 2 to trade in so I don't loose a bunch of money.

I still want to know what the hell is causing the racket..... I am less concerned with what's causing the overall problem as I am what's hurting the engine long term. If Pistons are slapping valves that is absolutely a big issue especially for longevity. If it's a case of bad detonation that's hell on main an rod bearings again a longevity issue with the engine.

Let's say a " re flash " fixed the shutter and noise. Who can say that loud knocking has not caused internal damage? No one can tell unless the engine was torn down and inspected which i know they wouldn't do that.

It seems like I'm gonna get screwed pretty hard no matter which way I go.

Unbelievable .......
You need to stop listening to posters, posting things that are clearly not true....pick up the phone...call the 800 number for bbb and ask....they will answer your questions...they are there to help you.....You cant base your decision on what I or anyone else says, especially if half of what is said is speculation and opinion...call them and get it straight from the horses mouth.....or perhaps you should just let it go...1 negative (unverified) comment and woe is you...gonna get screwed.....You dont seem to have the stomach for this

Quick Reply: Ford Releases TSB 15-0088 For 2015 Active Regeneration Jackhammer Valves Issue