6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ford Releases TSB 15-0088 For 2015 Active Regeneration Jackhammer Valves Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 02:37 PM
louisianashooter
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by etcbrown
The regional Ford Field Service Engineer has my truck for two days, today and tomorrow. Hopefully there will be some news.

Saturday I went on a 300+ mile drive. The truck started and ran regeneration to completion 3 times during the trip (why does it regen so often?) and yet the symptoms have not changed....still knocks and shakes near the start of a regen cycle.
When I first got my truck it used to regen every 80-100 miles. It goes a lot longer with out regen now.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:49 PM
jh225
Elder User
Originally Posted by louisianashooter
Sorry, I didn't have my boom microphone and accelerometer hooked up. Watch the cord to my radar detector, as it shows the most (around 1.15). Tonight I'll go buy a bobble head to glue on my dash for the next video. If you were riding in the vehicle you probably would be concerned, although it is hard to convey with a mobile phone camera.
Attitude and sarcasm from a brand member, brilliant way to get your point across.

Just because YOU know it is happening doesn't mean that others who were not there for the video do. You gonna show the dealer the same video and let him figure out the cell phone cord is shaking too?

Old 06-24-2015, 02:51 PM
etcbrown
Freshman User
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm at 6700 miles, it has done regen pretty much every 100 miles or so since I got it. Have not logged it ,but it at least seems that way. I'll have to track it.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:15 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
same

I watched the video twice. I did not hear anything out of the normal. Are you losing power??

The instance of 12 MPG for a regen is good.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:55 PM
louisianashooter
Freshman User
Originally Posted by donovan
I watched the video twice. I did not hear anything out of the normal. Are you losing power??

Yeah as I've said the sound quality isn't perfect next time it does a regen I'll try to get a better video. There was loss of power. I pushed the accelerator and the truck barely took over the bridge. Like I said, I thought I barely made it over. Had a been towing, it would have been a different story. I've driven gasoline trucks that have gone into Fail Safe Mode, it felt almost the same. It was actually like 3-4 MPG instantaneous, the 12.3 was my average.

Originally Posted by jh225
Attitude and sarcasm from a brand member, brilliant way to get your point across.

Just because YOU know it is happening doesn't mean that others who were not there for the video do. You gonna show the dealer the same video and let him figure out the cell phone cord is shaking too?
I actually appreciate the help from everyone. Although, I'm not claiming to have filmed big foot. I'm simply putting a camera phone video to further help trouble shoot the problem. If you turn the volume up loud enough you can hear the difference. I've had two other mech. engineers that I work with listen to the video at high volume and they can hear a clear difference in tone. It was absolutely more pronounced in the cab. I'm going to borrow a friends GoPro with an external microphone and hook it up in my truck so that next time it regens I'll have more reputable evidence. I'm sorry if I came off as having an attitude, but I will admit I'm a sarcastic kinda guy.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:24 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,397 Likes on 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by donovan

At :36 I hear it, at 1:07 it is definitely struggling and shaking or it could just be me.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:12 PM
jh225
Elder User
Yeah as I've said the sound quality isn't perfect next time it does a regen I'll try to get a better video. There was loss of power. I pushed the accelerator and the truck barely took over the bridge.

I actually appreciate the help from everyone. Although, I'm not claiming to have filmed big foot. I'm simply putting a camera phone video to further help trouble shoot the problem. If you turn the volume up loud enough you can hear the difference. I've had two other mech. engineers that I work with listen to the video at high volume and they can hear a clear difference in tone. It was absolutely more pronounced in the cab..
OK, so here's 2 thoughts...........

NARRATION during the loss of power "Notice how the truck is now struggling, my foot is floored, blah, blah, blah."

EXPLAINING that we need to turn up the volume due to poor audio from your phone.

Might save yourself some grief next time. Last time I checked, there were no psychics on FTE. Just sayin'......................

Old 06-24-2015, 05:31 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,422 Likes on 1,015 Posts
I see the shakes you pointed out but the motor to me sounds just fine.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:08 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,397 Likes on 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by jh225
OK, so here's 2 thoughts...........

NARRATION during the loss of power "Notice how the truck is now struggling, my foot is floored, blah, blah, blah."

EXPLAINING that we need to turn up the volume due to poor audio from your phone.

Might save yourself some grief next time. Last time I checked, there were no psychics on FTE. Just sayin'......................

Not everyone has video quality equipment at the right moment. He was driving but fumbled for his phone. Keep in mind the situation, driving is more important and he is seeking answers. Looks to me this problem is not just random but everyone has an opinion.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:31 PM
jh225
Elder User
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Not everyone has video quality equipment at the right moment. He was driving but fumbled for his phone. Keep in mind the situation, driving is more important and he is seeking answers. Looks to me this problem is not just random but everyone has an opinion.
Not faulting his video equipment at all and I realize he is looking for help. My problem was the way it was presented, basically here it is, what is going on, like we are mind readers.

Obviously, I wasn't the only one who didn't see the issue as we were not told to crank the volume or watch for XX, or YY in the initial post.

As for the engine issue, it sure isn't "jackhammering" like some people say they have. If there was valve interference, it would make itself well known in the form of engine damage (of which there is none).

My thought on the whole "jackhammer" issue is this..........If you have the issue, take it to a dealer for repair so it gets DOCUMENTED. If they tell you it is fine, well OK, it's now on them. And the fact that it is happening on low mileage engines is Fords problem anyway. If there is an issue, it will most certainly get worse. As long as the issue doesn't stop the truck in the middle of traffic and the engine is warranted, let Ford deal with the aftermath.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:53 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone have any pics of the " 6.7s spider web radiating cracks" from the valve stems in the 6.7 as described in this thread?
I've spent some time but I can't find anything. You would think that Ford would have subjected this motor to a lot of testing before giving it a stamp of approval.
I would have thought the testing of the DPF would have been extremely thorough. I'm not saying a 9th injector is any better, because there are a lot of problems with those. But if the extra fuel on the exhaust stroke is going to ruin a cylinder head, this makes no sense.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:45 PM
louisianashooter
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Thanks for actually understanding...Let me do a play by play. I'm on my way to work. The cleaning exhaust filter alert comes on, so I grab my phone. Safely as possible I pull my phone out of my pocket and start recording. The regen did not actually start until 1:01, this is when the MPG fell and I felt a slight vibration. At about 1:05 the truck started to vibrate more. At around 1:08 you can hear things in my truck vibrating. At 1:12, if you listen closely, you'll hear a lower pitch to the engine and when the loss of power became very obvious to me, this is when i pushed the pedal into the floor. At 1.21 is the apex of the problem I pulled the camera to my keys because they were swinging around like crazy. Keep in mind, I'm still trying to safely drive over a bridge. At 1:28 the KNOCK happens...hard to hear but if you listen closely you can hear it. It was much more pronounced in the cab. But after this knock the vibration stops, power is regained, and regen continues as normal.

The reason why i did not narrate this thing was so that people could actually hear what is going on instead of hearing my lips flap. I knew from the last time that it happened that I would only have a small window to capture this occurrence on video.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:00 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,422 Likes on 1,015 Posts
when the first generation of the dpf came out with the 6.4 there were a lot of issues with the regen's.

Mine was perfect, no concerns at all.

I seem to recall it was two big issues. First was programming. They needed to program the cleaning cycle better in conjunction with the EGR operation.

Second issue was the owners. Not driving them how it should be driven.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:20 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks, hopefully this will set me over the edge.

EDIT: You need at least 5 posts and 10 days. I will try to contact you on the 27th?
Sounds like a plan, louisianashooter; I'll keep an eye out for your message.

Crystal

Old 06-25-2015, 10:53 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Sound

I was at work when Watched it. The sound was not set high. Its not a value hitting the piston. Not sure this is above me, could it be a value not seating and causing a loss of compression which would cause a loss of power. Just thinking.

On the video talk about what your seeing but don't talk to much.

I really hope you get this fixed. You really do have to hound ford to get them to fix it. If they don't fix it lemon law it. You paid good money for a truck that would perform a task.

I hate the NO Code no problem that all dealers and manufactures are doing now.

Quick Reply: Ford Releases TSB 15-0088 For 2015 Active Regeneration Jackhammer Valves Issue