6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ford Releases TSB 15-0088 For 2015 Active Regeneration Jackhammer Valves Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 08:35 AM
louisianashooter
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't had the issue in a while. Although, I have not noticed the cleaning exhaust filter message for at least 3 tanks which would be around 900 miles. If I brought my truck in to ford service, would they be able to tell me the exact dates that regens occurred?

Old 07-23-2015, 11:09 AM
Thom12
Senior User
I don't think they can tell you the date, but they can tell you miles since last regen.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:01 PM
LariatRick
Freshman User
I've not had this issue but I noticed my last regen lasted only 9 miles and my mpg has gone up since then. All my prior regens lasted 18-20 miles, I watch the lie-o-meter to see an increase in mpg to know the regen has completed. 14,300 miles on my 2015. Since birth, I'm getting 15.4mpg. Now I'm getting 17.3 mpg where before I got no better than 16 (per the lie-o-meter). About 300-400 miles between regens.
Rick

Old 07-23-2015, 09:24 PM
Amelio
Senior User
It looks like I am joining the club with issue....... Fantastic! I have 14.xxx miles on the truck the first time it did it was about 4-5 weeks ago and it has done it a total 4 times including today. At first I thought it was a TQ converter issue but I just read all 12 pages of this thread in the past hour and I definitely have this issue. The second time I felt this issue was two weeks ago before I went on vacation where ironically I was on my way to drop it off at the dealer for some other small issues.

Like others the dealer could not duplicate........ I picked up the truck last Thursday and it did it again this Tuesday and again today. The funny this is all 4 tines it has done it has been the same time of day and the same exact spot of the same road..... Wtf?

I assume the load conditions of that part of the road are just right to make it go into condition. I have noticed that it goes do it when in regen but only after 10-15 minutes since the "cleaning filter" light comes on. The truck typically regen once every 300 or so miles or once every tank. I have noticed this week it is regening every 100 miles.

No when it goes into condition it's very brief or I should say I don't allow it to do it for more than 5 sec. I either accelerate through it or I manually shift to 5th and that's it. Now today I caught it on camera with my phone and the loud "diesel" sound was very pronounced almost a knock!

My truck is a commuter that does done towing. I drive 70 miles round trip every day not including driving to different job sites during the day. On avg I typically drive 100-130 miles a day, the don't let me truck sit and idle but it's Atlanta and traffic is the same as idling.

I will bring this thing back to the dealer but I have to say this has my confidence shaken pretty bad. This is my second Ford truck. My first was a 2012 SD with the 6.2 then I upgraded to this truck this past November. I did a lot of research prior to buying this truck because I have always had GM trucks. I was also nervous about owning a new diesel with all the emissions crap! This just plain sucks!

I will get this thing back go the dealer and see where it goes...... Whatever happens I can already tell by the way I feel and what I have read that I won't be keeping this truck past the factory warranty as I had planned.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:42 AM
Amelio
Senior User
I have a few thoughts/ questions for you guys that have a good handle of what's going on.

So from my understanding of what ford is saying and what I gather from the posts in here that actually have info. Is this is a valve guide/stem coating issue from gases being forced back up the guide. This is affected the left head and only happens during regen. Ford says they are working on a re flash and it will be 9+ months before we see something....... That means 2016 trucks will have this issue also. I also see that Ford has recommended left head replacement in some situations.

Does this sum up the issue correctly?

Ok so my questions:

1. If the condition is due to regen why does it only happen at a given rpm and a given load? ( this is my truck...... Only experienced it in 6th @ 60mph which is roughly 1,400rpm)

2. Why is it only the left head? Was the left and right head manufactured at different places?????

3. Is there any known way ( even through a dealer) to temporarily turn off the regen process and drive the truck around to see if the issue really is due to regen?

4. This kinda goes with question 1. But if it is a matter of the valve sticking in the guide, shouldn't it go into condition in any gear at any rpm? Or is it only low rpm and light load because of "load"? Basically more rpm and more load it simply cannot get stuck to overcome the pressure in the cylinder?????

Just trying to get a better understanding of this issue.

Thanks for any info in advance!!!!

Old 07-24-2015, 08:30 AM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts
Originally Posted by Amelio
I have a few thoughts/ questions for you guys that have a good handle of what's going on.

So from my understanding of what ford is saying and what I gather from the posts in here that actually have info. Is this is a valve guide/stem coating issue from gases being forced back up the guide. This is affected the left head and only happens during regen. Ford says they are working on a re flash and it will be 9+ months before we see something....... That means 2016 trucks will have this issue also. I also see that Ford has recommended left head replacement in some situations.

Does this sum up the issue correctly?

Ok so my questions:

1. If the condition is due to regen why does it only happen at a given rpm and a given load? ( this is my truck...... Only experienced it in 6th @ 60mph which is roughly 1,400rpm)

2. Why is it only the left head? Was the left and right head manufactured at different places?????

3. Is there any known way ( even through a dealer) to temporarily turn off the regen process and drive the truck around to see if the issue really is due to regen?

4. This kinda goes with question 1. But if it is a matter of the valve sticking in the guide, shouldn't it go into condition in any gear at any rpm? Or is it only low rpm and light load because of "load"? Basically more rpm and more load it simply cannot get stuck to overcome the pressure in the cylinder?????

Just trying to get a better understanding of this issue.

Thanks for any info in advance!!!!
I can pretty much tell you it 100% due to regen. I would love to know the exact mechanical actions causing it. The reason its the left side only is because the 1-4 cylinders are the ones being used to send unburnt diesel into the exhaust to burn in the dpf. I think the injectors spray on the exhaust stroke. so you now have raw diesel being introduced to the valves and could be causing the guides or valves to cool. That might be enough thermal difference to cause sticking. Could be turning to soot and causing the valves not to close, or could be igniting causing combustion behind the valves. But whatever it is, it is happening only when the raw fuel is running through the exhaust. So is there real damage? I know my truck ran good otherwise. It certainly feel like its coming apart when it does it.

My 2015 I traded back to the dealer got bad with the shakes, but it was always around the 1200-1400rpm range during regen. I now drop a gear whenever in regen and try to keep the rpm's closer to 2k.It seems the most efficient rpm range for regen.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:41 AM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Also a far fetched reason for the shakes is the injectors might not be keeping up with the double spray timing. spraying for combustion and spraying for regen, they might be missing the combustion cycle and the 1-4 cylinders are dead. I have no ideal, and I don't think anyone really knows including ford...or there would be a fix, I would hope.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:11 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Originally Posted by zeroo
I can pretty much tell you it 100% due to regen. I would love to know the exact mechanical actions causing it. The reason its the left side only is because the 1-4 cylinders are the ones being used to send unburnt diesel into the exhaust to burn in the dpf. I think the injectors spray on the exhaust stroke. so you now have raw diesel being introduced to the valves and could be causing the guides or valves to cool. That might be enough thermal difference to cause sticking. Could be turning to soot and causing the valves not to close, or could be igniting causing combustion behind the valves. But whatever it is, it is happening only when the raw fuel is running through the exhaust. So is there real damage? I know my truck ran good otherwise. It certainly feel like its coming apart when it does it.

My 2015 I traded back to the dealer got bad with the shakes, but it was always around the 1200-1400rpm range during regen. I now drop a gear whenever in regen and try to keep the rpm's closer to 2k.It seems the most efficient rpm range for regen.
Oh ok that makes sense why the left head only......I had no idea they used engine injectors to send fuel for the dpf. I had always thought there was a separate injector solely for the dpf. That to me makes more sense but Im not an engineer.

So it totaly sounds like a tuning issue which I hope they do fix. Thank you very much for the info.....I still dont have a warm fuzzy feeling going on.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:11 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just so you'll know, it's cylinders 5-8

Old 07-24-2015, 12:28 PM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by vloney
Just so you'll know, it's cylinders 5-8
I have no ideal why I said 1-4. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:36 PM
Lastwagen
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yesterday was the first time I've had it happen in this truck (11,900 miles). I dropped it into 5th and it was still there only worse. Finally let up on the throttle and it smoothed out. The very reason I traded in my 2012 and the problem still exists. You'd think they would have resolved it by now.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:33 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lastwagen
Yesterday was the first time I've had it happen in this truck (11,900 miles). I dropped it into 5th and it was still there only worse...
Do you plan on bringing your truck in to the dealer soon, Lastwagen? I'll make sure your regional customer service manager is aware so they can help. PM me your details, including your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll push this up the line.

Crystal

Old 07-27-2015, 11:21 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a calibration issue. There is not a mechanical issue with the valves, it is totally unrelated.

Hysteresis calibration is too damn narrow during EOM1 and 2, so are the time constants for torque filtering. There is a surge (from lack of hysteresis, too narrow) filtering down through the whole operating strategy.

Ford boys reading this,

dpc_t_act_clpost_lim, add .5 to .75s
dpc_t_act_farpost_lim, add 1s
dpc_t_deact_clpost_lim, add .5 to .75s
dpc_t_deact_farpost_lim, add 1s
dpc_t1_tqi_dif_farpost, raise to 1.5s
dpc_t2_tqi_dif_farpost, raise to .8s

Monitor dpd_mf_clpost_bank1, dpd_mf_clpost_bank2, dpd_mf_farpost_1_1_0, dpd_mf_farpost_1_1_0, dpd_mf_main1, dpd_soi_clpost, dpd_soi_farpost, dpd_soi_main1, InjCrv_facPoI1BasPrs_mp, InjCrv_facPoI1BasNxt_mp, InjCrv_facPoI2BasPrs_mp, InjCrv_facPoI2BasPrs_mp, InjCrv_facPoI2QntRmp, InjCrv_qMI1Des, and EngDem_trqInrLim. You'll see the surge quite clearly there.

This fixes the surge on FC3A-14C204-KE (DDDF2C5) and FC3A-14C204-LF (DDDG1AA), F350 SRW applications. This is all I can confirm, since those are the only two I've needed to remedy. FC3A-14C204-AXD (DDDG1R3) for F450 Pickup doesn't suffer this issue, at least on my truck. No clue as to whether this is needed, nor works on the latest DDDH0 strategy such as the FC3A-BLC reflash.

If one of you wants to drop me a DDDH0.A2L, I'll be more than happy to take a look

Don't act like you guys aren't reading

Last edited by SpartanDieselTech; 07-27-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:10 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
*snicker*

Old 07-28-2015, 06:52 AM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by SpartanDieselTech
This is a calibration issue. There is not a mechanical issue with the valves, it is totally unrelated.

Hysteresis calibration is too damn narrow during EOM1 and 2, so are the time constants for torque filtering. There is a surge (from lack of hysteresis, too narrow) filtering down through the whole operating strategy.

Ford boys reading this,

dpc_t_act_clpost_lim, add .5 to .75s
dpc_t_act_farpost_lim, add 1s
dpc_t_deact_clpost_lim, add .5 to .75s
dpc_t_deact_farpost_lim, add 1s
dpc_t1_tqi_dif_farpost, raise to 1.5s
dpc_t2_tqi_dif_farpost, raise to .8s

Monitor dpd_mf_clpost_bank1, dpd_mf_clpost_bank2, dpd_mf_farpost_1_1_0, dpd_mf_farpost_1_1_0, dpd_mf_main1, dpd_soi_clpost, dpd_soi_farpost, dpd_soi_main1, InjCrv_facPoI1BasPrs_mp, InjCrv_facPoI1BasNxt_mp, InjCrv_facPoI2BasPrs_mp, InjCrv_facPoI2BasPrs_mp, InjCrv_facPoI2QntRmp, InjCrv_qMI1Des, and EngDem_trqInrLim. You'll see the surge quite clearly there.

This fixes the surge on FC3A-14C204-KE (DDDF2C5) and FC3A-14C204-LF (DDDG1AA), F350 SRW applications. This is all I can confirm, since those are the only two I've needed to remedy. FC3A-14C204-AXD (DDDG1R3) for F450 Pickup doesn't suffer this issue, at least on my truck. No clue as to whether this is needed, nor works on the latest DDDH0 strategy such as the FC3A-BLC reflash.

If one of you wants to drop me a DDDH0.A2L, I'll be more than happy to take a look

Don't act like you guys aren't reading
so is this fuel starvation on combustion strokes? Why does it seem to progressively get worse and doesn't start from the beginning? it seems to start after several thousand miles.

Quick Reply: Ford Releases TSB 15-0088 For 2015 Active Regeneration Jackhammer Valves Issue