Trailer brakes locking when headlights on

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 08:16 AM
snoopdog970
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've owned this trailer since it was new and towed it but never had a brake controller till now but yes I've towed it before with headlights on but no controller and had no issues. after I got the controller in it said trailer brake fault on dash. I crawled under the rear and found where it looked like someone had cut the two wires going into the brakes. So I repaired the wires and boom I have brakes. (Oh I had loaned my trailer to a buddy a couple years ago to haul his broke down car home and he used his truck). The brakes had worked fine till I was leaving a buddys house and it wasn't dark but felt I wanted to turn the lights on so I did and boom it showed trailer brake fault on dash and brakes locked up. I did some more digging yesterday evening and found that the power wire for the brakes goes to the rear of my trailer where it has another receiver whole and a 7pin plug whole and I do remember the dealer telling me that was there cause that trailer had been used to haul new trailers on it back to his location and pull another trailer. It got dark on me before I could see if maybe the wire is being touched at the rear of the trailer by the tail light wire. I will post an update when I find the issue. Just the brake wires being cut leads me to believe the issue is in the trailer.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:11 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by snoopdog970
I've owned this trailer since it was new and towed it but never had a brake controller till now but yes I've towed it before with headlights on but no controller and had no issues. after I got the controller in it said trailer brake fault on dash. I crawled under the rear and found where it looked like someone had cut the two wires going into the brakes. So I repaired the wires and boom I have brakes. (Oh I had loaned my trailer to a buddy a couple years ago to haul his broke down car home and he used his truck). The brakes had worked fine till I was leaving a buddys house and it wasn't dark but felt I wanted to turn the lights on so I did and boom it showed trailer brake fault on dash and brakes locked up. I did some more digging yesterday evening and found that the power wire for the brakes goes to the rear of my trailer where it has another receiver whole and a 7pin plug whole and I do remember the dealer telling me that was there cause that trailer had been used to haul new trailers on it back to his location and pull another trailer. It got dark on me before I could see if maybe the wire is being touched at the rear of the trailer by the tail light wire. I will post an update when I find the issue. Just the brake wires being cut leads me to believe the issue is in the trailer.
In that case, disconnect the wires to what would have been the second trailer and see what happens. Somewhere the lights are feeding back to the brake circuit.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:53 AM
snoopdog970
New User
They disconnected the wires but they are tucked up under the rear of trailer and it got dark so I couldn't see good, so was waiting till today. Heck the battery feed wire to the brake away battery isn't hooked to the battery feed wire of the plug its wired in the brake circuit.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:29 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
For the break-away, one wire to the battery, one wire to the blue lead to the trailer brakes. The lead from the seven pin cord can go to the same lead as the trailer battery, but it doesn't have to. As long as the battery lead goes to the break-away lead, you are protected, if the seven pin were to come disconnected.

Steve

Old 02-21-2017, 06:22 PM
snoopdog970
New User
Okay guys I found the issue and I really should've started with the obvious. My break away battery positive is wired to the tail light wire to keep it charged. My break away cable has been gone for sometime. I cant remember how it got broken off but I should've started there to see if it was completing the brake circuit but I didn't think my battery was hooked up to a charge supply since it wasn't hooked the battery charge part of the 7pin plug. I disconnected the wire charging the battery and no more issues with head lights on. I will be replacing the break away switch and then reconnecting my charge wire to battery. I even checked the battery yesterday and it was dead so I didn't think it was being charged since it wasn't hooked to the 7pin plug. So lesson learned was check the most obvious things first before you spend time crawling around on the ground checking the wiring out. Thanks for all the tips...

Old 02-21-2017, 06:41 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Wild, but you got it done and that is the important thing.

Steve