1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

2001 Navigator question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 11:01 AM
DawgBawls
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Navigator question.

I just bought a 2001 Navigator with 58k on it. It rides great. There is NOT a suspension light on. The front end seems to have a higher wheel well gap then the back, but it looks level. The compressor kicks on when start up occurs and when put into gear. Then stops after about 15-20 seconds. When my large friend got in, it stayed on a little longer . It does not lower when turned off, I believe its called kneeling. It just stays at the same height all the time, which is kinda high ( I dont't mind it). Is this normal or should I be watching for something...the only code that would come up is alternator when under load. I do not have any experience with these and did not know that there was such an issue with this type of truck, but it is like new and could not pass on it. Just a little paranoid with all that I have read.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:02 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
If its not broke, its gonna be kinda hard to fix.

What is the alternator code?

Old 05-27-2015, 02:55 PM
DawgBawls
New User
I dont know the alternator code off hand. It was only throwing on the machine when we took it to +3500, but I'm switching it out anyways ( the truck sat a while in a old mans garage)...I was just concerned that it did not kneel when I got out or even move when the compressor ran...it stays the same height even if you hear the compressor run for about 15 secs. I never been around these vehicles with air ride...I been driving the same Chevy 1500 for the last 25 yrs and put 750k on it...had to retire it for just a going to store truck. But I got a really good deal on this truck and it seems to good to be true when I purchased it. After reading about all the issues I am just checking before my wife drives it and it breaks down on her. I know if it isn't broke then there isn't anything to fix. But with it not kneeling I was concerned that was an issue. I know I'm ignorant to the Navigator that is why I was asking about it. I posted the pic to see if that is the correct ride stance or if the back seems low.Thanks anyway.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:01 PM
alloro
Received 4,197 Likes on 2,433 Posts
There is supposed to be more of a gap around the front tires since they turn and the rears do not. As to the kneeling, take a before an after measurement to the ground. It could be dropping and you're just not seeing it. BTW, it will not kneel if any of the doors are open.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:15 PM
DawgBawls
New User
Thanks alloro...I figured that it was fine up front and Ill measure it when I get home to see if it is dropping... just to clarify, when should it lower itself? I know that sounds dumb, but if it can't when the doors are open do I have to wait a certain amount of time before getting out once I reach my destination? I literally have no knowledge of this operation.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:34 PM
alloro
You just open the door and get out when it pleases you to do so. A few seconds after all of the doors are closed (key off) you'll start to hear some clicking sounds. Those clicks are the air solenoids releasing air and dropping the truck. Also just an FYI for you, switching to 4WD Low will raise the suspension an additional 1-2 inches. By going into low it assumes you're going off road so it gives you a little more ground clearance.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:15 PM
DawgBawls
New User
Originally Posted by alloro
You just open the door and get out when it pleases you to do so. A few seconds after all of the doors are closed (key off) you'll start to hear some clicking sounds. Those clicks are the air solenoids releasing air and dropping the truck. Also just an FYI for you, switching to 4WD Low will raise the suspension an additional 1-2 inches. By going into low it assumes you're going off road so it gives you a little more ground clearance.

Thanks again for your help...I think I got it now. I did notice those clicks and the backend when down in increments...I was expecting one constant motion. Thats why I thought the back end looked lower, cause it was kneeling after all, duh. I do have one more question since you have been so knowledgeable. Once the Navigator is at "trim" level can I turn off the suspension with the switch on the passenger kick panel so the compressor and "kneeling" feature doesnt keep kicking on and off everytime I drive it. I dont mind it being the height it is and it seems like the solenoids/relays/modulators and compressor would last longer if it didnt keep kicking on and off everytime I drove it. Thanks

Old 05-28-2015, 06:11 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by DawgBawls
Once the Navigator is at "trim" level can I turn off the suspension with the switch on the passenger kick panel so the compressor and "kneeling" feature doesnt keep kicking on and off everytime I drive it.
Yes.

But it will drive different. When the air suspension is active, the SAS (Steering Angle Sensor) monitors how quickly you turn the steering wheel. If you turn quickly at speed the air suspension system will close an air valve between the left and right side of the system to minimize body lean (think Greyhound bus). When the air suspension system is turned off this valve stays open all the time for a smoother ride, but the body will lean more pronounced in a sudden swerve.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:41 PM
alloro
can I turn off the suspension with the switch on the passenger kick panel so the compressor and "kneeling" feature doesn't keep kicking on and off every time I drive it. I don't mind it being the height it is and it seems like the solenoids/relays/modulators and compressor would last longer if it didn't keep kicking on and off every time I drove it. Thanks
Yes you can turn it off, but if the system slowly loses air the compressor will never turn on and level the suspension. As to the solenoids, using them less will not necessarily make them last longer. By sitting unused they can become sticky and not work smooth. I would just leave the system on and drive like you don't even know it's there. The system was designed to do exactly what it is doing. You can manually shift an automatic transmission but you don't, right? You just put it in Drive and let it do what it was designed to do.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:01 AM
DawgBawls
New User
Originally Posted by alloro
Yes you can turn it off, but if the system slowly loses air the compressor will never turn on and level the suspension. As to the solenoids, using them less will not necessarily make them last longer. By sitting unused they can become sticky and not work smooth. I would just leave the system on and drive like you don't even know it's there. The system was designed to do exactly what it is doing. You can manually shift an automatic transmission but you don't, right? You just put it in Drive and let it do what it was designed to do.
Understood. I'll drive normally. I'm just a little paranoid. It seems like there is a lot of Navigators effected. Is there a high number, or is it not that bad? Is there something that causes it...i.e. heavy towing or heavy loads?

Old 05-29-2015, 01:36 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As far as people usually say, the air springs has a service life expectancy of about 10 years, after that they may start to need replacement. The other components aren't so bad to replace, but the air springs are quite expensive. Most people buy a spring converter kit at this point as it's much cheaper than replacing the air springs and it fixes it once and for all, but obviously your dynamic ride height won't be dynamic anymore.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:58 PM
DawgBawls
New User
Thanks, guys. You have been a big help.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:28 AM
alloro
Is there something that causes it...i.e. heavy towing or heavy loads?
It is a pretty solid system for the constant abuse it takes. For me I think the biggest problem is the air compressor wearing out. Even then, it wears out mostly because the system develops a small leak and the owner ignores it. This causes the compressor to run much more than it should and it wears faster.