Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Computer blew up

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 05:57 PM
weskan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer blew up

Didn't even need to look at the motherboard.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:59 PM
weskan
Senior User
Are NAPA remans still a good deal?

Old 05-25-2015, 05:59 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
WoW!!!!
😨 😤

Old 05-25-2015, 06:10 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that's what old electrolytic capacitors do after a couple decades or so. I'm waiting for that to happen to a whole bunch of us on this board around the same time. It wouldn't surprise me in the period span of a year or two that a lot of us have computers that die.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:11 PM
weskan
Senior User
Symptoms of this were:

1) Truck suddenly runs bad.
2) Won't idle.
3) Hard shifts
4) Engine light on
5) Can't pull codes
6) Unique smell anywhere near the vehicle.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:17 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
I know that smell anywhere. I remember jamming on my 1972 Marshall Super Lead cranking out about 90 watts when the damn thing blew up. Electrolytic capacitance goo was all over the chassis of the amplifier. Ruined an otherwise kick a$$ piece of rock and roll history.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:23 PM
weskan
Senior User
Now that you mention goo, I did notice the bottom side of the case looked a little wet before I opened it up.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:25 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by weskan
Now that you mention goo, I did notice the bottom side of the case looked a little wet before I opened it up.
just thank God they were little capacitors in the computer. The thing only runs 12 volts, maybe even less if a rectifier circuit is lowering the voltage. On my amplifier, it was pumping over 500 volts in the power section and it had four of those capacitors each half the size of a bottle beer

Old 05-25-2015, 06:30 PM
weskan
Senior User
My research about reman computers for these shows that Standard Products is the better one to get. Do they also reman NAPA's? Their website just lists NAPA reman for a supplier.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:08 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by weskan
My research about reman computers for these shows that Standard Products is the better one to get. Do they also reman NAPA's? Their website just lists NAPA reman for a supplier.
I honestly don't know. I haven't had to get a reman yet. I have grabbed a couple on half-price days with junkyard to have as backups that have the same binary code

Old 05-25-2015, 11:47 PM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarJesus
that's what old electrolytic capacitors do after a couple decades or so. I'm waiting for that to happen to a whole bunch of us on this board around the same time. It wouldn't surprise me in the period span of a year or two that a lot of us have computers that die.
Dramatic as that picture is, I don't think it is a capacitor that blew up here. Looks like a high current diode that has had one side blown off it. Odd failure to see in a running vehicle. Usually this type of damage happens with application of wrong polarity power. Not saying that is what happened here, just not your typical capacitor failure.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:52 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by NotEnoughTrucks2014
Dramatic as that picture is, I don't think it is a capacitor that blew up here. Looks like a high current diode that has had one side blown off it. Odd failure to see in a running vehicle. Usually this type of damage happens with application of wrong polarity power. Not saying that is what happened here, just not your typical capacitor failure.
it's quite possible, he did mention most you're on the outside of the case. If anything got into it, it could arc the diode. although there is an radial electrlytic capacitor right next to it. with a quick glance I figured it's spattered capacitance out the bottom

Old 05-25-2015, 11:57 PM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Yes, blew through the case. Maybe a short from the case to the hot side of the diode? May be something else to look out for?

Old 05-26-2015, 12:06 AM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by NotEnoughTrucks2014
Yes, blew through the case. Maybe a short from the case to the hot side of the diode? May be something else to look out for?
that's actually the interior of the hood to the case. Do you see the tabs sticking out? Those go face down on to the body of the case, and then you screw the hood and the case body together.it's possible. Moisture got inside the case and arced the diode, I couldn't tell without looking at the actual motherboard and seeing how the leaves look on the piece of wafer itself. But actually looking at the picture closely, I think you are right about the diode. Just sort of weird, these things aren't known for putting out that much current, especially at 12 volts. I'd be interested to hook it up to my 12 volt bench power supply and see what kind of readings I get on the other pieces of the board

Old 05-26-2015, 12:30 AM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Yes, you are correct. My old eyes deceive me from time to time. Interesting thing about the remaining lead from what may have been a large diode is that it looks undamaged while the bulk of the diode and the opposing lead seem to be disintegrated. That would tell me the device was not destroyed by current through it, rather from some event isolated to the one lead. Would be very interesting to see the board up close and try to power it up. Usually a diode of that size is employed for polarity protection. Nothing else in the box would need that size of diode.

Quick Reply: Computer blew up