convert to PCV valve on Y block

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 07:37 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
convert to PCV valve on Y block

I'm doing some work on my 312 Y block and while I'm at it I thought I might eliminate the crank case vent pipe and replace it with two valve cover breathers..one with a PCV valve and hose connected to the vacuum on back of carb and the other just a grommet and breather cap with a plate mounted as needed inside the valve cover to eliminate oil spray etc. that serves as an air inlet for the vacuum coming from the other side with the PCV valve. Its a kinda standard mod for any motor that came before PCV valves that do a great job in recirculating gases/fumes etc from inside the crank case+.

I have another non y block overhead that I did that to years ago..but maybe the aftermarket valve covers came with the holes already in them..I don't remember its been a long time, but anyway somehow I put together something for that. And on this Y block I "think" I can drill the holes in the valve covers as needed if I get the correct grommet dimensions.

I plan to stop by NAPA and see if they can help me with some grommets and the 90 degree PCV valve etc.

But does anyone have the specific part numbers or knowledge of a complete kit made to do this etc? I was looking for something universal where I can drill and mod the valve covers as needed, but so far haven't seen anything.
Thanks Tom

Old 05-24-2015, 12:23 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Howdy Tom,

Yeah. Adding a PCV valve to a Ford-Y is probably one of the most common things people do to them!

I have one that would have went on a chev but just about any one will do. You only have to connect it in a convenient place and run the hose to a convenient vacuum source.

I don't have a handy part number but someone will jump in here with some suggestions. If not, go over to Y-blocks Forever and do a search. There's a plethora of threads on adding one there.

Incidently, I did a little searching around and it appears that the 64 F-100 292 came with a PCV system, although there's probably better ways to do it than using the oil fill cap as the crankcase source. Most people mount the PCV valve in the back of the engine and route the hose to the back of the intake manifold for the vacuum source etc.....My carburetor has it's own vacuum connection for hooking to a PCV valve.....

Cheers,

Rick

EDIT: Here's a great discussion on adding a PCV valve (some people on this forum are members here too!)
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...4462&showall=1

Old 05-24-2015, 01:32 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Thanks..ya my carb has a vacuum port for PCV too. And was planning to use it. I wasn't planning on using the oil filler cap type source either..just because I probably don't want to "see that hose etc"..but it may be the simple way to go..I'm just thinking if one uses the oil filler cap/crank vent tube for this purpose then I would still need some sort of "breather' or etc in the valve cover or somewhere..i believe..to allow an effective "circulation". Meaning vacuum from the oil filler cap needs an opening somewhere else in the system to allow the vacuum to move the air. I think otherwise it's just like sucking soda out of a bottle..not too effective..need an opening somewhere.
I wonder would i need to punch a breather and baffle in the valve cover? or is their a simpler way?

Old 05-24-2015, 04:41 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomget
Thanks..ya my carb has a vacuum port for PCV too. And was planning to use it. I wasn't planning on using the oil filler cap type source either..just because I probably don't want to "see that hose etc"..but it may be the simple way to go..I'm just thinking if one uses the oil filler cap/crank vent tube for this purpose then I would still need some sort of "breather' or etc in the valve cover or somewhere..i believe..to allow an effective "circulation". Meaning vacuum from the oil filler cap needs an opening somewhere else in the system to allow the vacuum to move the air. I think otherwise it's just like sucking soda out of a bottle..not too effective..need an opening somewhere.
I wonder would i need to punch a breather and baffle in the valve cover? or is their a simpler way?
If you have the valley cover off and/or you are planning to rebuild the engine, there's a place on the rear/left of the block just outside of the valley cover that is a perfect place to drill and (NPT) tap to screw one in.

You can also put it on the valley cover too. My valley cover actually has a port/connection for hooking up a hose to a PCV valve. My engine came out of a 60 F-100 but I don't think the PCV valves were standard then.

If you went with an aluminum cover like the one Mummert sells, You can choose the one that is already counter-bored/drilled for PCV.
HOME PAGE

I am definitely putting PCV on mine.

Just found this on FTE btw!

Have a look!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...2-y-block.html

Old 05-24-2015, 09:21 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Thanks and I'll look at the link you've shared. And yes I do have the valley cover off as I've replaced the heads (the heads that came on the truck had been milled for higher compression plus other grinding as the previous owner wanted better flowing etc..but the intake manifold hadn't been ground to fit those heads and thus it was plagued by vacuum leaks and such)
with some cores I got at the machine shop where they replaced all and included hardened valve seats etc.

I'm still in contact with the previous owner and he put the Y block in the F1 about 35 years ago haha. He is a pro mechanic and was in Jr college at the time taking auto repair classes.

I saved the cores and told him he could have them if he wanted etc. We'll see.

So I'll look at all you mentioned thanks.