Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

new oil & battery computer reset

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 11:55 AM
georgeda
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new oil & battery computer reset

Just bought a new 2015 Escape. I find the owners manual leaves out a lot of information for things I would like to do myself. Eventually I will get a FSM, but for the time being am curious about how the oil and battery reset is done.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:57 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know about the oil change but the battery management reset is done with the dealer's PC, etc.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:42 PM
SCUDDOG
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Resetting oil system instructions are in your manual. I think that you turn the key off... then to "on" but don't start it and floor both the brake and gas for 25 seconds or something like that. Again, it is in your manual.

Concerning the battery issue... holy cow did Ford screw us with the battery box placement. You have to remove the air box, the front wall of the battery box and then you can check your battery fluid levels or replace the battery. To avoid the nonsense of resetting whatever with the dealer computer etc... just buy one of the .99 gizmos that plug a 9V battery into your cigarette lighter. This is a temporary way to keep "juice" in your electrical system. But beware because the 9V can drain very quickly if you leave a door open or leave the key on.

Best of luck to you. Did you buy the S, SE, SEL or Titanium trim level?

Old 05-18-2015, 09:31 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SCUDDOG
Resetting oil system instructions are in your manual. I think that you turn the key off... then to "on" but don't start it and floor both the brake and gas for 25 seconds or something like that. Again, it is in your manual.

Concerning the battery issue... holy cow did Ford screw us with the battery box placement. You have to remove the air box, the front wall of the battery box and then you can check your battery fluid levels or replace the battery. To avoid the nonsense of resetting whatever with the dealer computer etc... just buy one of the .99 gizmos that plug a 9V battery into your cigarette lighter. This is a temporary way to keep "juice" in your electrical system. But beware because the 9V can drain very quickly if you leave a door open or leave the key on.

Best of luck to you. Did you buy the S, SE, SEL or Titanium trim level?
That's not the same thing. The battery's charge is adjusted for age so when replaced, it must be reset. The 9V battery would only help if the battery needs to be disconnected/removed and reinstalled. I have a cord that connects to the OBD port and a jump pack will last forever.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:59 AM
georgeda
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wptski
That's not the same thing. The battery's charge is adjusted for age so when replaced, it must be reset. The 9V battery would only help if the battery needs to be disconnected/removed and reinstalled. I have a cord that connects to the OBD port and a jump pack will last forever.
That is what I heard. Now, how is it reset, and can only the dealer do it? Also what does a dealer charge if you do not buy the battery from them?

Old 05-19-2015, 06:47 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by georgeda
That is what I heard. Now, how is it reset, and can only the dealer do it? Also what does a dealer charge if you do not buy the battery from them?
How, you ask. They don't release info like that. That stuff is so new that probably the dealer can only do that right now. They sometimes charge $100 for a diagnostic but for a battery reset might be less. If you buy a battery from the dealer they may do a reset free. I think this just started on the 2013 model year so those batteries should still be good.