5.0L Coyote 5.0l Ford OHC Coyote engine for 2011+

Oil Catch Can?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 05:44 PM
2014coyote
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Catch Can?

On stage3motorsports.com they offer a UPR oil catch can, and they proclaim the benefits of it. Has anybody installed one that can verify the benefits? Or is it just a marketing ploy?

Old 05-22-2016, 03:54 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
The only benefit is your wallet is lighter and easier to carry.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:46 AM
Excelerater
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run an oil catch can on my 5.0 F150..
Keeps oil off the back pistons and out of your throttle body..
I went with JLTs version

Old 05-28-2016, 08:53 AM
Michael Culberson
Junior User
I have a catch can on my 2012 Dodge Challenger and it does a great job separating the oil and keeping it from returning to the intake. I empty mine every month.

BUT WORDS OF CAUTION: I have heard stories of Ford not wanting to cover warranty repairs to engines, in direct conflict of the Magnuson-Moss Act, in Mustangs with aftermarket accessories. Including catch cans and cold air intakes.

Oil Catch Cans | Everything you need to know and more!

Old 06-02-2016, 11:22 AM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Michael Culberson
I have a catch can on my 2012 Dodge Challenger and it does a great job separating the oil and keeping it from returning to the intake. I empty mine every month.

BUT WORDS OF CAUTION: I have heard stories of Ford not wanting to cover warranty repairs to engines, in direct conflict of the Magnuson-Moss Act, in Mustangs with aftermarket accessories. Including catch cans and cold air intakes.

Oil Catch Cans | Everything you need to know and more!
It is modifying the engine so yes.
Many required drilling and such.
You are removing factory installed parts and altering systems.
Ford sure did not approve it.
Actually if i owned ford, i would void the engine warranty of any vehicle with one installed.
If ford wanted a catch can on their vehicles or deemed it necessary they would have already done it.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:49 PM
Michael Culberson
Junior User
Originally Posted by sky Cowboy
It is modifying the engine so yes.
Many required drilling and such.
You are removing factory installed parts and altering systems.
Ford sure did not approve it.
Actually if i owned ford, i would void the engine warranty of any vehicle with one installed.
If ford wanted a catch can on their vehicles or deemed it necessary they would have already done it.
Good thing you don't own Ford. Ford has a team of lawyers...and they know that in order to void a warranty for a non-factory part they have to prove that the non-factory part caused the failure. (See: Magnuson-Moss Act)

Most Mopar dealerships are not gigging people on having them. The only altering of the system was splicing into the PVC return line. It adds nothing to the engine. It's not a power adder. All it does is catch the engine oil that vaporized during the normal operation of the engine and prevents it from gumming up the intake. Mine, on my car, didn't need any drilling. I bolted it to the fender wall.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:55 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Modifying the engine voids the engine warranty.
Ford still has to warranty the wiper switch or other parts of the truck correct.
But modify the engine and they can surely deny that part of the warranty.
Read the Magnuson-Moss Act closer.
Now how is adding a whole new system not doing a modification?

Lets see you and your lawyer argue it in court?

If I was betting on the outcome my bet is placed with ford.

But hey since I will never ever ever use a catch can at least my warranty isn't affected.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:39 PM
Michael Culberson
Junior User
Again, ...it's not modifying the engine. But since you've made up your mind that it is and you're not going to to use one, that makes it moot point.

In regards to my lawyer, he is quite good and is a gearhead. Oh and he has one on his SRT Charger.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:08 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Ford does recognize the benefit of a catch can on the 5.0 Coyote engine, but does not endorse its use on street driven vehicles. Ford Racing Mustang 5.0L Coyote Oil-Air Separator (11-16 GT) | M-6766-A50 | Free Shipping! I have the passenger side JLT catch can that also uses factory connectors and can reversed back to stock in 30 seconds. There is no harm it can do. I has only positive benefits and leaves no "foot print".

Old 12-01-2016, 01:08 AM
Thorium
Senior User
Can one just tee and vent to atmosphere, a simple drain tube to ground? Catch cans and filters, what do they do opposed to a drain hose thats inline? TIA for the replies.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:37 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Thorium
Can one just tee and vent to atmosphere, a simple drain tube to ground? Catch cans and filters, what do they do opposed to a drain hose thats inline? TIA for the replies.
The PCV system is considered to be a "closed" system. Venting the vapors to the atmosphere would definitely be considered tampering of emissions related hardware.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:28 AM
Thorium
Senior User
Originally Posted by mueckster
The PCV system is considered to be a "closed" system. Venting the vapors to the atmosphere would definitely be considered tampering of emissions related hardware.
Understood and agree, simply for conversation, plugging the manifold fitting and venting, using the valve cover vented to open air, or even adding a hose to run to filter or catch can? Drain the catch can or change the filter, greater benefit than running back to be burned in and through the intake. Just conversation Non boosted, NA engines of course.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:31 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
Screw all that! Just run a hose down below the truck, and let it blow to atmosphere like the good olde days!

Old 12-06-2016, 09:58 AM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by johnday
Screw all that! Just run a hose down below the truck, and let it blow to atmosphere like the good olde days!
No engine issues from doing it for 75 years on cars.
Many motorcycles and other things still do it.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:21 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
Don't you want a working PCV system to maintain a vacuum on the crank case? That actively pulls the bad stuff out, and potentially reduces the chances of oil leaks.

And besides, there were days in the "good olde days" when I could not see across the street in parts of Los Angeles, and my lungs hurt and eyes watered from breathing too hard, all because of noxious emissions. I do not cherish those days.

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can?