1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rhino Liner/Underbody Clear Coat

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Kane96
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rhino Liner/Underbody Clear Coat

Hey guys. So as the title suggests, I'm interested in rhino lining some of my truck (front grille, running boards, bed, mirrors, and possibly bumpers). I know there's more than one liner product and was wondering if anybody had any information on what's best to use.? Also if the spray on, or paint on holds and looks better. And about the clear coat, pretty much the same as the liner. What's the best product of it to use. I've heard some people talk about it helping prevent rust and just easily wash off mud and whatnot. Is it worth adding it.? Do I need to cover or take off all the bolts it goes over as I need to for the bed liner.? Thanks in advance for any response. Really appreciate it.!

Old 05-09-2015, 07:25 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
I would think a commercial spray on will be more durable than a DIY paint on kit. I bought a can of rustolem spray on coating and it's basically a rough textured paint. I painted my mower with it and it's holding up pretty good except for where I scraped a pole and took it off. I don't think it would hold up to a lot of abuse though.

As for clear coating the underside, I wouldn't do it. It will get chipped and then rust will start eventually. I can't see it being very cheap to do either. IMO you'd be farther ahead to just spray the underside with Fluid Film and reapply it once or twice a year.

Old 05-10-2015, 03:06 AM
Kane96
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm alright with the rough texture. I think it'll make my truck a little more mean looking which is what I want. And I'm not worried about scraping it off, I do try to avoid hitting things with my truck. Lol. But I have plasti-dip sprayed of a few things right now and after a bunch of rain and going mudding, it's starting to peel after just a few months so I'm looking for something more durable.
And can you explain more about the undercoat fluid film.? Haven't really heard much about that but would like to know more.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:00 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
there are a lot of threads about it on here. It's basically a lanolin based liquid with the consistency of honey that is non drying. You spray it on and as long as it's on the metal it will not rust. It will eventually wash off areas that see direct water spray so you have to reapply it every so often. I reapply it every spring and fall. Best thing to keep it on longer is to spray the vehicle and then drive down a gravel road to get a layer of dust on top. even if it looks like it's washed off there will still be a light film protecting the metal as it is supposed to soak into the pores.

I use the bulk stuff for the majority of the underside since it's thicker and holds up better. I use the aerosol cans for inside the rockers, doors, and anywhere else I can't get the bulk sprayed into and these areas really don't need to be touched up very often because they don't see enough water to wash it away.

Gallon cans of it cost around $40 from the Rust Store and the aerosol cans cost around $10. You can also buy an extension hose with a 360deg tip for the cans to reach into areas better. There is also an application gun for applying the bulk that is fairly inexpensive(a paint gun will not work).

Old 05-10-2015, 02:02 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kane96
Hey guys. So as the title suggests, I'm interested in rhino lining some of my truck (front grille, running boards, bed, mirrors, and possibly bumpers). I know there's more than one liner product and was wondering if anybody had any information on what's best to use.? Also if the spray on, or paint on holds and looks better. And about the clear coat, pretty much the same as the liner. What's the best product of it to use. I've heard some people talk about it helping prevent rust and just easily wash off mud and whatnot. Is it worth adding it.? Do I need to cover or take off all the bolts it goes over as I need to for the bed liner.? Thanks in advance for any response. Really appreciate it.!
IMO....Line-X is far superior
I have used it on numerous Trucks as a bed-Liner, Rocker-Panel / Wheel-Well Cover, Etc
Professionally applied only
Can be applied in various color's (ive only used black)
Yes mudd, etc is easily power-washed off
Yes REMOVE any Bolt's u would want to remove later BEFORE Spraying then Re-Install