Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Hints and tricks for all the bells and whistles

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 01:23 PM
rmccbride
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hints and tricks for all the bells and whistles

I don't know about the rest of you but I sure would like to have a thread about using understanding all these new to me bells and whistles.

Like this lane keeping thing I have it set to help and vibrate but I don't notice much help, but it does vibrate.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:17 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 215 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by rmccbride
I don't know about the rest of you but I sure would like to have a thread about using understanding all these new to me bells and whistles.

Like this lane keeping thing I have it set to help and vibrate but I don't notice much help, but it does vibrate.
To me, most of those things are fru-fru; part of the reason I chose XLT instead of Lariat (or King Ranch or Platinum). Especially when many of those features are first year, I prefer to let others be on the bleeding edge. I got plenty of gee-gaws, and I will be very happy not being a beta tester!

Old 05-09-2015, 03:36 PM
rmccbride
Tuned
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
To me, most of those things are fru-fru; part of the reason I chose XLT instead of Lariat (or King Ranch or Platinum). Especially when many of those features are first year, I prefer to let others be on the bleeding edge. I got plenty of gee-gaws, and I will be very happy not being a beta tester!
My old truck and I couldn't wait for another year I had no choice.. And I didn't want a old 2014 one. I also find beta testing fun.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:36 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Linking a Key Fob to Memory Positions

Glad you started this thread!

I'm struggling with the lane-keeping thing, as I said on my Big Blue thread. So I set the assist to max, which lets me know for sure when it helps me. And, yesterday there was a dead possum in the middle of the road (yeah, I know it was supposed to be a skunk), so I moved into the left lane to miss it. And the truck fought me. Not that I couldn't easily win the battle, but I knew without a doubt that it didn't want me crossing the center line. So I turned the turn signal on and it was happy to let me go anywhere I wanted.

Also, today I adjusted the seat, pedals, steering wheel, and mirrors and then saved that to memory position #1, as described on Pg 143 of the manual. Then I wanted to "link" my transmitter to that position, and found this statement: "You can program a remote entry transmitter to recall a memory setting. See Keys and Remote Controls (page 51)." So, I turned to Pg 51 and read until I got to Pg 54, which says "Linking a Preset Position to your Remote Control or Intelligent Access Key Fob: See Memory Function (Pg 143)".

On Pg 143 I found this statement: "You can program a remote entry transmitter to recall a memory setting. See Keys and Remote Controls (page 51)." So, I turned to Pg 51 and read until I got to Pg 54, which says "Linking a Preset Position to your Remote Control or Intelligent Access Key Fob: See Memory Function (Pg 143)".

On Pg 143 I found this statement: "You can program a remote entry transmitter to recall a memory setting. See Keys and Remote Controls (page 51)." So, I turned to Pg 51 and read until I got to Pg 54, which says "Linking a Preset Position to your Remote Control or Intelligent Access Key Fob: See Memory Function (Pg 143)".

Now, I'm not the quickest study, but on the third pass even I figured out that I was in the proverbial "do loop". So, to the internet I turned. And, wouldn't you know it, the first hit was on FTE. And, basically it said:
  1. Hold memory button for about 5 seconds and until you get the second beep
  2. Press and let up on the Lock button on the key fob
  3. Count to 10 and press and let up on the Unlock button on the key fob
I did and it worked perfectly!

Old 05-09-2015, 05:18 PM
rmccbride
Tuned
I might not of let the truck go far enough out of the lane,, I'll have to play some more. On the key FOB interesting. I sure didn't do it that way,, which might be why sometimes I get in the truck and the mirrors are pointed crazy. I'll have to play with that more also. I'm sure enjoying the push button starting and not having to do anything but walk up to the truck and open the door. The power tailgate is fun to play with but one I get the cap I'll not be able to use it with out opening the cap first.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:35 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I don't have to open my Retrax Pro before opening the gate.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:10 PM
rmccbride
Tuned
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I don't have to open my Retrax Pro before opening the gate.
Yea but it doesn't cover the top of the tailgate like my cap is going to do. I'm hoping that if I don't latch the caps door it will swing up/out enough that the tailgate will clear it. Just incase I push the button my mistake.. Hate to have to replace the glass everytime!

Old 05-10-2015, 05:42 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
These goodies are new to the F-series trucks but Ford has been using them on the Lincolns and the Taurus for a couple of years now. Enjoy brother!

Old 05-10-2015, 06:40 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by tseekins
These goodies are new to the F-series trucks but Ford has been using them on the Lincolns and the Taurus for a couple of years now. Enjoy brother!
Yep, we aren't beta testers on these things. But, we are beta testers on the aluminum body, and the 2.7L EB if you go that way.

On the other hand, I spent much of my career as an "early adopter", as we called the pioneers. We were the ones that got to enjoy new technology earlier and longer than the "prudent" ones. Yes, there were times that the joy was coupled with frustration, but looking back on it I remember the things that worked and not those that didn't.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:10 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
One thing Ford has done that I think is really nice is they've made many videos. You can search generically, or use your sync my ride account. Also, youe sales rep "should have" sent you an email PDF that had links specific for your VIN.

If you don't have a sync my ride account you can self register at http://www.syncmyride.com

If you didn't get the PDF I'd be willing to generate a few for ya'll, just email me your VIN at DFrantz@McCafferty.com

If you just want to browse through the videos check out | How to Videos | Official Ford Owner Site

Old 05-10-2015, 08:16 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Thanks. I'll email you for the PDF. I'm sure my dealer will get to it, soon. But having it now might be good.

Having said that, my dealer does have a young guy that is dedicated to helping people with their tech. He spent an hour with me when I picked up the truck, and we paired my phone, set up my PIN for door access, worked through many of my preferences, and learned where many of the features and buttons are located. So, I know I can call him for answers to questions. But I also know that if I figure it out on my own ill remember it longer.

Edit: it looks like FTE did a number on your email address, turning it into a hot-link. I think it is supposed to be dfrantz@mccafferty.com.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:55 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for fixing it, sorry. Glad you got a guy who took care of you! I don't mind doing the PDF for folks, but it's something your sales guy can do if they know how. If you're working with your rep and they don't know about it, tell them to go to FMC dealer and under customer satisfaction tab on left at the bottom is "Vehicle Orientation/Delivery Resource Center". There is so much for a sales guy to remember and things keep changing. FMC isn't a very user friendly site and I probably only know 10% of it, so don't go too rough on him or her!

Old 05-10-2015, 12:27 PM
rmccbride
Tuned
Originally Posted by Frantz
Thanks for fixing it, sorry. Glad you got a guy who took care of you! I don't mind doing the PDF for folks, but it's something your sales guy can do if they know how. If you're working with your rep and they don't know about it, tell them to go to FMC dealer and under customer satisfaction tab on left at the bottom is "Vehicle Orientation/Delivery Resource Center". There is so much for a sales guy to remember and things keep changing. FMC isn't a very user friendly site and I probably only know 10% of it, so don't go too rough on him or her!
Just sent you a email for the PDF info on my truck.. Thanks for offering to do this. I bet my salesman never even heard of it.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:50 PM
sixseven
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm bummed that the texts from my iPhone won't work. Only Android users get that benny.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:33 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Because the Mysync software is written by Microsoft. I wonder if the vehicles using Apple's stuff retaliate?

I'm a techonut, and years ago I swore I'd never have another Windows Mobile device as that one was pure junk and should never have been released. So, I moved to Apple and was happy and even bought some stock. But, now my Apple devices are driving me nuttier. This iPad, using Safari, has just reloaded a web page I was reading at least 6 times - and each time placing me back at the start of the article. On my other iPad Safari crashes if I try to post a URL or do a bulleted list on this site - each and every time. Both are running the latest OS, as is my iPhone 6 - which is running the same version of iOS. But it doesn't reload the web page nor crash on FTE.

So, I guess what I'm saying is neither system is perfect. But, given my truck cost a lot more than the phone, I'll consider an Android next time I change.

Quick Reply: Hints and tricks for all the bells and whistles