Project "Brusiey" my 47 (or 46) ford truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 04:18 PM
Duellym
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 46fordtruck
For your trans cross member I'm thinking you'll be best to get a universal one, Speedway motors carries them I believe. It looks like yours has been cut up, and original ones are not reproduced.
Looks like a fun project
Thanks I may try and score a used crossmember from a swap meet if I can, I would like to keep as much as stock as I can for simplicity.
If not I'll end up buying a universal one like you said.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:56 PM
Duellym
Junior User
Originally Posted by 49fordv8f4
The U bolts are upside down. The round end goes around the axle and there should be a plate on top of the spring that the threaded end of the U bolt would go thru and tighten against the spring. My dad had the same issue with the steering tube on his '47 when he installed a Y block years ago. It interfered with the last sparkplug. He was able to dent the tube for clearance.
Mark
Cool I didn't know you could dent the tube, I may end up doing that.
Thanks

Old 03-31-2016, 06:00 PM
Duellym
Junior User
Originally Posted by privateer, eh
Thats a normal fuel pump for a 360/390. In one of my Rebel Rodz mags there is an example of a gear and chain setup that the guy used on his steering. basically he put a bearing and it's mount on the firewall to hold the steering shaft from the steering box, there is a gear on that shaft. On the steering wheel side there is a bracket that extends from the firewall with a bearing in it to brace mount that shaft and that shaft has a gear on it the same size as the other one and there is a chain that joins the gears. Or you can make a variation of a Schroeder style steering system
The reason I say that my fuel pump is weird is because I never really see them with the filters on the bottom.
I would like to keep the steering simple and somewhat stock so if it comes down to it I will probably dent or no charge it like mentioned above.

Last edited by Duellym; 03-31-2016 at 06:53 PM. Reason: My phone sucks
Old 03-31-2016, 07:56 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
You can't dent them very much or the tube will rub the steering shaft. The fuel pumps with filters were common on the FE engines.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:23 PM
Duellym
Junior User
Originally Posted by 49fordv8f4
You can't dent them very much or the tube will rub the steering shaft. The fuel pumps with filters were common on the FE engines.
Haha I'm not going to worry about it, I went to a car show today and saw a nash metropolitan with a hemi stuffed in it. My logic is if someone can get a hemi in a nash I can get a fe into a pickup.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:24 PM
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
transmission crossmember

don't know if i you could use it but I have part of a 1952 F-3 frame that has a transmission crossmember that I could remove. I think the frame rails are the same distance apart, this frame is 6 inches tall. If you are interested I could measure it and take pictures of it.
Patrick in St. Louis Missouri area.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:16 AM
Duellym
Junior User
Thank you, but I don't think a stock crossmember is going to work now.

So Remember how I said that the motor doesn't Clear the steering column, well it turns out the ugly motor mount has been mounted a full inch closer on the drivers side than to the passenger side. And on top of that the motor is slanted a few degrees over as well. I think an fe will fix with the stock column. Horray.

As a side note, does anyone have an idea on how to remove the 70 year old bolts that hold the front fenders together. Mine have stripped out and I don't own an air hammer to take care if them.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:16 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
This type of thing forced me to learn to use a torch. I wrecked a few things in practice, but am getting better. It's amazing to watch two of my buddies that have used them all their lives in tight quarters on vehicles. They cut nuts off of bolts and re-use the bolt. I'm lucky to not have a 1" hole in the fender. But it DOES get better. That's my advice for tonight. Looks like a great project on a very clean truck for sure......
Originally Posted by Duellym
Thank you, but I don't think a stock crossmember is going to work now.

So Remember how I said that the motor doesn't Clear the steering column, well it turns out the ugly motor mount has been mounted a full inch closer on the drivers side than to the passenger side. And on top of that the motor is slanted a few degrees over as well. I think an fe will fix with the stock column. Horray.

As a side note, does anyone have an idea on how to remove the 70 year old bolts that hold the front fenders together. Mine have stripped out and I don't own an air hammer to take care if them.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:33 AM
Duellym
Junior User
Cool thank you. I've used a torch before so I do know how to not blow holes in it.