Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

2014 F150 owners....your opinions please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 08:09 AM
G Ford Fan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 F150 owners....your opinions please.

Hey Y'all,

I'm looking at a 2014 F150 left over at my local dealer. It's a crew cab, short bed. no back-up camera but still a nice truck for what it is. It's an XLT, manual front driver's seat, basic sync, but does have the trailer tow package, integeral brake controller and 3.73 gears.

Ran great when I test drove it, but I would like to test drive a Chevy Silverado for comparison sake. I think I could get a 2015 Silverado with the all-star pack, rearview camera, power driver's seat, etc for about the same money as the F150 with Chevy's current incentive (8k off).

Those of you with 14' F150's. Do you like your trucks? Are you having any problems or issues with them, if so what? The 5.0 in the truck I drove was suprisingly stout to say the least. Would you buy your truck if you had it to do over again?

The backup camera would be very nice with the camper I tow and just in backing it up in general, but not necessarily a deal braker. The Chevy seems very nice I must admit but I've been a Ford man for many years. Any thoughts, opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
G

Old 05-03-2015, 11:19 AM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
well, this is a Ford forum so the answers will be biased. I've only ever owned Fords and I have no complaints. Currently I have a 2013 SD and my wife has a 2012 F150 EB and both have been outstanding trucks. I wouldn't think twice about buying them again if could do it over.

I wouldn't get to hung up on the rear camera, they're nice but it's not a substitute for actually looking behind you. I fear a lot of people are using features as backup cameras and park assist too much and are loosing driving skills they need.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:30 AM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Ive owned both chevy and Ford trucks. I wont say Ford is better, but I prefer Ford trucks......but Ive got friends that have chevy trucks and are happy with them too. but in general, most people are brand loyal, and if the like chevy, they will go chevy, same for Ford. Ive never driven a 5.0 (2011-14).....but Ive heard they are good.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:40 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
My only recommendation to a person who isn't brand loyal is to follow the money.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:01 PM
fastback89
Senior User
I have a 2013 crew cab FX4 short bed 5.0 and can't say enough about this truck, it has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. I tow a race car trailer and the engine is awesome, no problems whatsoever. I'm getting between 15 and 16 mpg, mixed driving..

Old 05-03-2015, 08:47 PM
96grimreaper
Senior User
I've owned a 10, 12 and now a 14 so I do love this generation of truck. I'm not brand loyal as I've owned all of the big 3. My fiancé works for a dealership in town that has sister dealers for Dodge and Chevy/GMC. So I could get a really good deal on any of them. All 3 were the crew cab, 4wd with the gas V8. I test dove the Chevy first, didn't care for it at all. Felt like a car and hated the interior. Then the Dodge, I'll admit the newest ones look really good, especially leveled on 35's. Didn't care for the ride, maybe the coil rear suspension... or the cheap look of the interior. Also I couldn't get the options I wanted without buying a more expensive model.

Of course I ended up with my 14 FX4 with the 5.0 and 3:55's. Love everything about the truck and only thing different I'd want from the factory would be 3:73's since I'll be running 35's eventually.

Price wise the Chevy was the least expensive, then the Dodge, then the Ford.

Like mentioned, Ford forum so we're biased but I wouldn't give up my Ford for any other brand.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:06 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
I like my 14. It's almost as plain jane as it gets. The only options I got were 3.73 gears with limited slip, and tow package. If I would have ordered the truck, the only other thing I'd have gotten is the controller but they're easy enough to install.

Even with the V6 I have, it is MUCH more stout than the old 351w I was used to, or even the 4.2L V6 in my brothers truck. I've towed a car trailer with my F250 on it twice and it does just fine. I don't have a problem keeping up with traffic or climbing hills. I'm averaging 22mpg right now and I'm also impressed by that.

People have been backing up to trailers for decades without backup cameras, I'm sure you'll live.

That said, there were a BUNCH of the rebates you could have gotten by buying one before May 1st.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:25 PM
FalcoDog
Junior User
Everyone has an opinion right?

I drove the Chevy, the Dodge and the Ford when I bought mine last year.

Personally, I really didn't like the Chevy. The interior was pretty lame and it drove like a big american car from the seventies. I have friends that have late model Chevys and love them but for me, both the Ford and the Dodge were miles better in the way they drove, rode and handled. They both felt like much better developed products.

The combo of the Ford's effortless power, excellent drive train and packaged value pushed the Ford purchase for me but the Dodge was also very good.

I've had no issues with my XLT and I would definitely buy it again. I love it.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:20 PM
dilas
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My recent F150 purchase was the first time that I didn't test out Silverado and Tundra prior to purchase. It's my fifth F150, had such positive ownership experience with Ford trucks. I felt I didn't need to waste my time flirting at Chevy, Dodge and Toyota trucks. I was focused trying to find my 2014 in specific package (max tow package and long bed) available in dealer lots while they're selling at huge rebates. I'm somewhat biased now, but I have valid reason after owning couple of them.
I wanted the backup camera for hitching, that's one reason why I optioned for Lariat trim. Nice features, not necessary fully loaded like higher trims but perfect for my need and taste.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:25 AM
MikeJ65
Freshman User
I'm still a bit lukewarm on mine. It tows great with the Ecoboost and 3.73's, but mileage is very disappointing. I get about 14 highway and about 8.5 towing a 7x12 single axle cargo trailer on the highway. If I believe the Chevy owners I talk to, I may have been better off with a 5.3L.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:45 PM
FalcoDog
Junior User
Originally Posted by MikeJ65
I'm still a bit lukewarm on mine. It tows great with the Ecoboost and 3.73's, but mileage is very disappointing. I get about 14 highway and about 8.5 towing a 7x12 single axle cargo trailer on the highway. If I believe the Chevy owners I talk to, I may have been better off with a 5.3L.

I would be disappointed too. That's pretty sad mileage.

Mine pulls over 18 on the highway if I keep it under 80 and over 20 if I set the cruise at 70.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:33 AM
G Ford Fan
Senior User
Wow great responses guys! I really appreciate them! As i said I've been a ford man for many years now. In my younger days i hated ford and was pro gm.. until i owned and worked on some 5.0 mustangs of the late 80s and an early 90s f150.

I did test drive a silverado last night. Unfortunately it was a v6 truck. ... so not a good comparison. I'm going back wed to test drive a 5.3 truck.

My initial impressions are as expected. The ford felt more solid and more rhobust. The power in the new 5.0 is very impressive! I know it would give those old 5.0 mustangs a run and they were not stock cars.

I really wish the ones my local dealer have had the bu camera. It's a tough call. The Chevy felt quality too. I don't like dodge. Didn't even test drive one. Interior was very cheeezy in the dodge. Junk!

Thanks again guys!

-G

Old 05-05-2015, 07:10 AM
FalcoDog
Junior User
Originally Posted by G Ford Fan
Wow great responses guys! I really appreciate them! As i said I've been a ford man for many years now. In my younger days i hated ford and was pro gm.. until i owned and worked on some 5.0 mustangs of the late 80s and an early 90s f150.

I did test drive a silverado last night. Unfortunately it was a v6 truck. ... so not a good comparison. I'm going back wed to test drive a 5.3 truck.

My initial impressions are as expected. The ford felt more solid and more rhobust. The power in the new 5.0 is very impressive! I know it would give those old 5.0 mustangs a run and they were not stock cars.

I really wish the ones my local dealer have had the bu camera. It's a tough call. The Chevy felt quality too. I don't like dodge. Didn't even test drive one. Interior was very cheeezy in the dodge. Junk!

Thanks again guys!

-G
You can always get an aftermarket camera. There are several good ones on the market.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:00 AM
Atlee
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wish I had a back up camera and will probably add one relatively soon. For me, a back up camera would definitely help when I'm hooking up the trailer alone.

Originally Posted by fordman19762003

I wouldn't get to hung up on the rear camera, they're nice but it's not a substitute for actually looking behind you.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:58 AM
MikeJ65
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Atlee
I wish I had a back up camera and will probably add one relatively soon. For me, a back up camera would definitely help when I'm hooking up the trailer alone.
The small screen camera that you get on the XLT is disappointing. It is 2015, how much more would a 6" LCD cost vs. the tiny 3" one they use? Even on magnify, you can just make out that there is a tongue and something that looks like it could be a ball.

Quick Reply: 2014 F150 owners....your opinions please.