Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bassani exhaust installed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 10:03 AM
MikeS
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my Bassani equal length headers and "off-road" Y-pipe on yesterday. Sound changed quite a bit, but not too loud with the Gibson muffler and 3 inch side swept set-up. AT first engine seemed to be running too lean at WOT. I could feel it pick up some as I lifted off the floor. Well, I had read about increasing fuel pressure to 46-48 with good headers and good flowing exhaust. I had already installed a Kirban FPR so I started increasing pressure a 1/4 turn at a time. Immediate improvement!! After driving and adjusting and some computer relearning time it runs excellent. Most noticeable is putting around. It takes so little pedal to go the speed limit. Engine is really relaxed now and breaths freely. Put a gage on fuel rail and it checked 47 psi with no vacuum. I reset it to 46 and will drive it for a while like that. Haven't pulled boat or anything yet but I expect torque has increased significantly. Wish I could have dyno'ed or raced truck before installing. The "butt-o-meter" noticed a nice power increase. I was worried about the "lean-out" thing that many say will happen. I have been sucking up all the Speed-Density information that I can lately. Here is a list of mods so far:

1993 ex cab short bed with 5.0 with E4OD

4.10 lightning rear end with Eaton posi
Front and rear lightning sway bars
K&N panel filter
Hand made "ram-air" using a diesel tube and old parts to make air enter through grill opening
ASP power 2 piece pullies and added smaller alt pulley for idle charging
Trans-GO shift kit
Kirban FPR
Bassani equal length headers and off road Y-pipe
Gibson side swept 3" single exhaust

Old 03-14-2002, 03:18 PM
Bull
Senior User

Any plans on installing Air to Fuel ratio meter soon? I'd be interested in knowing how far you can push the SD system before having to chip it or converting to MAF system.

Old 03-14-2002, 04:19 PM
Lightning2Fast
Senior User

the speed density can be pushed pretty far. you just have to know what you can and cant do. ive gone 12.79 @103 and still speed density. this year with the new vortech and intercooler i will hit high 11's. i do have a chip though to run large injectors and create a timing curve for max hp.

Old 03-14-2002, 10:03 PM
Redneckerson
Senior User

:-staun Holy crap 12.79 out of a full size truck! Lightnings kick ***! I have a pretty hot stang and I can only coax a 12.88 out of it on street tires (but i have a trap of 110). Sorry to change the subject on your post but it has triggered a memory I would like to run by Lightning. I have an ex Florida Highway Patrol (1986-coupe) car that was orginally a speed density car. Actually all the Mustangs from 86-88 were speed density but anyway I spend a lot of time in the "corral.net" and everyone that seems to know anything about these "special service" cars says that they were no different from the production cars. Mine with several non-stock mods among other things had a "piggy back" chip on the computer with a sticker from a company called "Micro-Burst technology" that has a wire coming off the chip with a two way switch that is labeled "stock" and the other position is labeled "offroad". I bought this car off the auction block in Gainsville Florida in late 1989 with the original FHP paint 68,000 miles and all and didn't find this switch for over a year as it was coiled up under the dash and I just happaned across it one day. When I would flip the switch to "offroad" it would hunt for an idle between 750-1000 rpm but seemed to have a little more power- seat of the pants. I found a Micro-burst technology" on the web and inquired about this chip and they denied any relations to this "chip". I suppose I am not really coming to a point but seems like a pretty unique piece. I still have this computer and maybe plan on using it if I ever change to the windsor firing order. Whatcha think?? Ever heard of such a beast? This was a stout car stock and really earned a reputation. Let me know what you think! Thanks for you time.

Old 03-15-2002, 05:52 AM
Lightning2Fast
Senior User

as far as the car i dont know much about them. but it sounds like a neat car to have! the chip you had was a flip chip. it uses two settings by a switch. im not familiar with micro burst at all. the idle probably changed in the other setting because timing and fuel pulse width went thru the roof. or the other setting was meant for larger injectors that were never installed in the car. sorry i could no give more insight.

Old 03-15-2002, 10:37 AM
MikeS
Freshman User

>Any plans on installing Air to Fuel ratio meter soon? I'd
>be interested in knowing how far you can push the SD system
>before having to chip it or converting to MAF system.

I will be adding more and more in the future to see how far I can go with Speed Density and tuning it. GT-40 Lightning heads are probably next on the list. Higher flowing fuel pump too I think. At least in one of the two tanks. Would like to experiment with a different cam also. Anyone changed cams in SD truck besides a Lightning. My buddy has a 93 L. We bought a bunch of stuff from a "roll-over" Gen 1 "L".
He has some stage 3 GT-40's we are going to install soon and I will put his old on my 5.0.

Old 03-15-2002, 10:45 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts