6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

High pressure oil problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 04:32 PM
mr.speaker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High pressure oil problem.

Hi everybody, new member here, long time follower.

I have an 03 6.0 with a no start when hot issue.

I diagnosed the issue using auto enginuity and shop air injected into the high pressure oil system via driver side oil rail with the IPR valve set to 90%. Between the air/oil gurgling out of the oil filter housing and the metal shavings from the pump sitting in the oil filter housing I decided it was at least a bad pump. I ordered a new/rebuilt Ford high pressure oil pump,discharge tube,and misc gaskets/o-rings from removing the intake manifold,turbo,oil filter base,housing,etc,etc..

I installed everything 3 days ago and I re-tested it via shop air and auto engenuity and every thing appeared good. Yesterday it starts doing the same no start when hot and I air test it again and air/bubbles are coming out of the oil filter housing again. I do not hear air anywhere else,both valve covers are removed . I only hear/see air bubbles coming out of the oil filter housing .

If I apply shop air through this port I can hear air leaking from behind the gear just like the old unit. If I apply shop air to this port while it is installed in the engine I can hear air from behind the gear and see/hear air bubbles in the oil filter housing ..

When applying shop air through this port,air leaks from behind gear.

Now,from my understanding that means this is a bad HPOP again. I'm not sure what to do at this point before I try and warranty the part through Ford.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-30-2015, 06:27 PM
Jeff Watts
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I've heard about them round pumps, getting a new HPOP cover and going to the new style HPOP might be an idea.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:20 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Unfortunately there have been a few cases I've read about online and a couple I know about in "real life" where the new pump was bad out of the box or failed shortly after installation. I don't think you'll have much trouble getting a warranty replacement. There is an aftermarket option but it's pricy. Google the Adrenaline pump for more info. On an upbeat note, once you get a "good" one they seem to work ok and last awhile.

Going to the 05 and up style pump isn't an option on an 03. You'd have to pull the engine to replace the branch tube and then the later style branch tube will not work with the '03 thread in style standpipes.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:29 PM
RPM371
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got mine out of the shop today and the guy was telling me they just put a new OEM pump in one and it was bad from the factory so now they have to go back in and replace it with another new pump.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:55 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Like the others have said there are a lot of failuers of the replacement round style pumps.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:58 PM
mr.speaker
New User
Thanks for all the responses guys.

I went to Ford today and a very good Powerstroke shop on the way.

On the pump there is a bleed port, valve,or whatever it's called behind the gear that leaks air a little . This is normal, however mine was leaking air heavily and through the bottom port. I took it back to Ford and a mechanic/tech looked at it ;I'm not sure what he did to check it but they did warranty it and they exchanged it no problem, but what a pain in the butt especially being an 03 and having to remove the intake manifold every time.

Rusty,

I looked up the Adrenaline pump and seriously contemplated buying one but I couldn't come to spend $1,000 on the pump. I got my Ford unit for $530.00 and the original Navistar pump I took out of the truck had 237,xxx miles on it so I trusted the "Genuine" replacement. The engine still has the original IPR valve but has a new screen and IPC sensor..

Here's the part # if anyone's interested . And the one from Ford is a Re-man. I'm not sure if one from International/Navistar is a brand new unit or Re-man..

Old 05-01-2015, 12:04 AM
mr.speaker
New User
Here's the diagram I got at Ford if anyone needs it.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:01 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Hopefully this will prove to be a good one for you. I had a coworker change his three times to get a good one, he got so discouraged he sold the truck. Thanks for the diagram.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:44 PM
mr.speaker
New User
Installed the new oil pump and it's showing the same signs.

I'm not sure what to do now, my luck can't be this bad.

It's doing the exact same thing as in this guys video which indicates a bad pump , Correct ??

Old 05-01-2015, 03:22 PM
Jeff Watts
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the check ball still in place? Is there a check ball from one of the old pumps still in there somewhere? Get the new style pump, and a new HPOP cover, and go on with life.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:18 PM
mr.speaker
New User
Originally Posted by Jeff Watts
Is the check ball still in place? Is there a check ball from one of the old pumps still in there somewhere? Get the new style pump, and a new HPOP cover, and go on with life.
Hi Jeff,

Yes the check ball is still in place and it was in place on the old pump as well..

I would like to get the new style pump but I would have to replace the branch tube as well which is quite the task in-cab.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
I dont know if that's correct but I don't think so. The pump must be able to pull oil from the resivoir. The IPR is on the output side of the pump so that's not a factor on the input side however I think a feature of a swashplate style pump is that it can only move fluid in one direction unless it's broken. If so that would be a bad pump...

Hopefully someone who knows for sure can reply soon. Here's a bump to the top...

Old 05-02-2015, 04:22 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Anybody? Does a good early style pump blow bubbles in the HPOP resivoir on an air test?

Old 05-03-2015, 01:47 AM
mr.speaker
New User
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Anybody? Does a good early style pump blow bubbles in the HPOP resivoir on an air test?
It seems like most people don't remove the oil filter and cap when doing the air test..

I spoke to a local diesel shop and they say it's normal for the pump to leak a little air from the back of the gear and air coming out of the reservoir doesn't mean a bad or weak pump. They say the 03/04 pumps can actually go weak and not all the way bad , where as the newer pumps are mostly good or bad.

I installed another pump last night and it's running again. I air tested it when cold and when hot and this new pump still does the same thing with the ipr at 90% but not nearly as much as the other 2 pumps. We shall see what happens but once I get all the bugs worked out I'm going to sell her . I just don't want to sell a problematic truck to the next guy.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:31 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Glad you got it running. The problem with the question on my part was that I've never seen an air test done with the resivoir opened up (oil cooler removed).

Quick Reply: High pressure oil problem.