Bronco II Ford Bronco II

1988 Bronco II starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 12:58 PM
tsytsa
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 Bronco II starting problem

I bought a 1988 Bronco ii recently and it runs fine and started fine as well. But lately when I go to work in the morning, I start it but it dies on me several times before it actually runs, Monday morning it died once, Tuesday morning about 7 times and this morning it took about 10 times...I'm not sure if this happens because it's cold or what, but it starts fine during the day. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas? It would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:58 AM
Robert Moore
Freshman User
Check your fuel pressure. Sounds like you have a pump going out on you.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:51 PM
tsytsa
New User
Okay thanks! Also Idk if this will change anything but on Friday it started just fine in the morning, then I did a coolant flush on Saturday, Monday morning is when it started dying on me

Old 04-24-2015, 09:37 AM
Robert Moore
Freshman User
Usually that has nothing to do with the pump. The problem you described is usually an old pump or the screen on the pump is bad and allowing trash to get in which will jam up a pump. It doesn't take much.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:34 PM
tsytsa
New User
Okay, so I replaced the high pressure fuel pump and the fuel filter, I still have the same problem, does that mean I need to replace the fuel pump that's inside the fuel tank?

Old 04-26-2015, 03:52 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it starts fine warm you might have a bad engine coolant temp sensor. On my 87 it's a 2 wire sensor, should be the same on yours.

If the ECT is telling the PCM the engine is hot when it's really cold the PCM will lean out the fuel mix & it will be hard to start.

Google Ford engine coolant temp sensor & then get out your ohm meter to test it.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Robert Moore
Freshman User
You only have 1 fuel pump on the B2 and it's in the tank. A fuel pressure gauge will tell you if the pump is working or not when the rig won't start.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:30 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually 1988 was the last year of the 2 pump setup. Low pressure pump in the tank & high pressure pump on the frame rail. But you're right a quick and very easy to do pressure test will tell the story.

1989 got the single high pressure pump in the tank.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:27 PM
Robert Moore
Freshman User
I didn't know they used 2 pumps on some of the B2's. Mine was a 90 with the tank pump and i had the same issue your describing. A new pump solved my problem.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:51 AM
tsytsa
New User
Awesome! Thanks guys for the info!

Old 05-10-2015, 06:43 PM
tsytsa
New User
So on Friday, I checked my in-tank fuel pump and it looked pretty new, so I didn't replace it. I did replace, however, my coolant temp sensor. It started up fine that day and Saturday morning. Later in the day on Saturday, I tried starting it but the engine would just turn but wouldn't start. So I replaced the in-tank fuel pump (the whole thing, pump and sender assembly) and I still have the same problem--turns but doesn't start. Also when I turn my Bronco on, I don't hear the pump making that sound it should when it works...so I have no idea what's wrong now. Both fuel pumps are brand new, the fuel filter is brand new, and the coolant temp sensor is brand new. Would anyone have an idea on what the problem might be?

Old 05-10-2015, 08:40 PM
Robert Moore
Freshman User
The fuel pump relay is cheap enough so replacing it won't break the bank. If I remember correctly there is a fuel pump inertia switch on the inside of the Bronco on the passenger side firewall or behind the kick panel on the passenger side. They interrupt power to the pump in case of a big impact or a roll over. Check the inertia switch first by pushing the red button down or even bypass it to see if it is the problem. If it's not that check the relay, or swap it out with something else.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:57 PM
tsytsa
New User
So I replaced a bunch of stuff already, both fuel pumps, both fuel filters, coolant temp sensor, fuel pump relay, still doesn't start. Now it barely turns over, I think the battery may be dying. But I had a mechanic take a look at it and looks like there's no power coming to a couple wires on the computer. The inertia switch is fine and the ignition switch is fine as well. Now I'm just waiting for an auto-electrical mechanic to take a look at it. The thing is, if I had an electrical problem this whole time wouldn't the truck just stop working from the start? Because it took a while for it stop working. I'm worried when I get the electrical issue fixed I might have a different issue. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 06-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Robert Moore
Freshman User
The problem with older vehicles is that any issue can crop up at any time. Have you checked to see if you have spark? There is a module on the distributor that will go bad and stop the engine from running. Most parts stores should be able to check it for you. Those are also notorious for going bad. Ford put grease between them and the distributor body where they are mounted to stop the heat transfer from the dist body to the module. That grease gets old and dries up which allows heat to run right into the module causing them to go bad over time. Charge the battery up and see if you have any spark, if not pull that module off and have it checked.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:59 PM
tsytsa
New User
Thanks Robert for the info, I will check that out

Quick Reply: 1988 Bronco II starting problem