Sponsored by:

Electric brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 10:17 PM
johnsonjf
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Electric brake controller

I have a 2004 X, Limited, 6.0 PSD. I am in need of a brake controller. My X is already wired with a 7 pin round but I do not see a plug in the cabin. A friend showed me his 06 F150 and his connection was a grey plug just to the right of the ODB II connector. Does anybody know if the 04's have the same? Also what would be a good plug-n-play controller?

Thank you,
Jeff

Old 04-21-2015, 10:43 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This walks you through it.
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-fbc.aspx

Tekonsha makes a decent controller called the prodigy.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:57 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prodigy P3 is what Dad and I use right now. Super simple install and use, seriously plug and play almost.

Most trucks from the factory are set up for it and they sell a harness that plugs right into your "tow package". If you already have the 7 way RV plug, you are probably already wired for a brake controller.

I'll find a link for the pigtail for you.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:07 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
I believe this is the correct one, but I'd take a look under your dash and see if this looks like the right one first.

Sometimes it's pretty easy to locate. If you pull the fuse panel cover you should be able to look through there towards the center of the vehicle and see the receiving end of the plug.

Tekonsha Plug-In Wiring Adapter for Electric Brake Controllers - Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tekonsha Accessories and Parts 3035-P

Google search gave me this and it's a pretty good picture of where to look for your plug in, if you have it:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ller-plug.html

Old 04-21-2015, 11:15 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
^^^^100% right.

Often the truck plugs are brown instead of grey. And when you pull that cover in front of your knees off it is located to the far right.

In my shop we install these everyday. Sometimes install the p3, which I use, but at a 20-1 ratio I install the primus iq.

Quite a bit less in cost without sacrificing much in the usability and function of the controller.

Do not buy the Voyager. To hard to dial in.

If you have questions please ask.

I don't sell Mail order and can't compete with e trailer anyways

Old 04-22-2015, 01:25 AM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by A Rodder
^^^^100% right.

Often the truck plugs are brown instead of grey. And when you pull that cover in front of your knees off it is located to the far right.

In my shop we install these everyday. Sometimes install the p3, which I use, but at a 20-1 ratio I install the primus iq.

Quite a bit less in cost without sacrificing much in the usability and function of the controller.

Do not buy the Voyager. To hard to dial in.

If you have questions please ask.

I don't sell Mail order and can't compete with e trailer anyways
I had forgotten all about the Primus IQ. I hear good things about it!

I actually got my pigtail and control fr

It is super hard to compete with those websites. I used their website as a reference for the install though. Does you company offer pretty good step by step instructions?

Old 04-22-2015, 06:51 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The link I posted has the correct harnesses, and step by step instructions.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:52 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Drunken_Unicorn
I had forgotten all about the Primus IQ. I hear good things about it!

I actually got my pigtail and control fr

It is super hard to compete with those websites. I used their website as a reference for the install though. Does you company offer pretty good step by step instructions?

I don't do any online or over the phone sales and rarely sell Carry out products. But I do offer free advice if a guy here wants it.

My point was I install a ton of those primus IQ and guys and gals are really happy with them. Function wise as far as how it decides to send the power out at a rate of speed and overall power to the trailer is the same.

It will only do 3 axles instead of four that is about the feature that a guy couldn't live without....

Mostly it is bells and whistles. Several colors on an LCD display vs digital display, 5 presets, and the best one though is you can run the power up and down and see where you set it at even if you are not actually braking on the p3. The IQ you roll the dial up or down but the display doesn't show unless you are actually braking.

That alone is why I run it. I have 3 trailers w brakes and with varying loads I play with mine more so than most.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:59 PM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
We just bought a 2002 Limited V-10 to pull our trailer with. We were using a 2003 Expedition. I went to move the Tekonsha P3 controller over to the Excursion and there does not seem to be a connector to plug the adapter harness into. The Expedition has the connector. I do see several wires stubbed out along a large harness on the left side of the driver's foot well that has a black,red,white & blue wire. There is a factory looking white tag wrapped around the harness, but it is unreadable. The wires look like they might be the ones needed to connect the controller to. I'll test the blue wire to see if there's any voltage on it when I hit the brakes.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:02 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
That is nothing to do with the controller wiring.

Take the dash panel off at you knee area, Look to the right about 6 inches back towards the center ov the dash.
You should find a grey or brown connector your old Expedition harness will fit into.

I'm going into swimming lessons with the littles. You should have it whipped by the time I check back in

Old 05-12-2015, 09:28 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
There may be 2 missing relays and 30 amp maxi fuses missing under the hood fuse box.

They power the 12v keyed hot and back up functions in the 7 way plug.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:52 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its up in there a bit and I had to hunt for mine as well. I have had the same brake controller in my 97, 01, 05 f150 and now my 05 excursion with the same harness. Ford was good with consistency in that aspect.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:26 AM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by A Rodder
... Take the dash panel off at you knee area, Look to the right about 6 inches back towards the center of the dash. You should find a grey or brown connector your old Expedition harness will fit into....
Thanks A Rodder, just found the connector. I would not have found it.
Sorry, I didn't get a chance to check it out last night - took the boys to see Age of Ultron.
Took off the Fuse Panel below the steering wheel. The connector is gray and can't be seen from below, there is a metal plate below it. The connector is toward the center of the dash 2" below the pedal adjust switch. The connector seems to be attached to the plate, but you can just squeeze the plug in to connect it.
Our Excursion did not come with the owner's manual, but I can check for the keyed hot and backup with a tester. I'll see if I can find a fuse layout online.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:14 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Flip the lid up on the 7 way.
With the ground hooked up on your test light, turn on parklamps, probe the top left pin- it should light up verifying the good ground.

Now with key on check the top right pin, should be hot, then not hot w key off. This is your 12v charge line. If it is hit you're good there. One fuse and one relay operate this.

Next set parking brake, put key on and shift to reverse. Probe the center pin, if it's hot you're good there. The other fuse and relay operate this function.

If the don't function let me know.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:53 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by R&T Babich
Thanks A Rodder, just found the connector. I would not have found it.
For future searches, here is the picture I've posted for people for the past 9 years.

To orient yourself, that pic was taken from the drivers side looking back to the center dash. The knee panel has been removed and you can see the dark brown Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller harness plugged into the Ford grey connector, just behind that black cable wire.

Stewart

Quick Reply: Electric brake controller