Sponsored by: Moser

Thank you FTE

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 03:42 PM
nicdog
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you FTE

Hello all, my name is Nic. Long time member/lurker. Joined up when I had a 93 Ford F-250 4x4 but had to sell it. Got tired of borrowing other people/family members trucks so I decided to get my own and bought this old 77 F150 2wd for 500 bucks. Kid I got it from didn't know much about it and thought it had manual steering but I was able to get it working by filling up the power steering pump. I've been tinkering with it since I got it last fall but thanks to the advice and knowledge on this board I took on the task of getting this beast back on the road.

What I've fixed so far.

The lights flickered quite a bit when I first got it and a new voltage regulator didn't fix it so i did a 3G swap and that solved any electrical issues. I got the power steering working by adding fluid to the pump. The horn didn't work due to missing horns so a trip to the junkyard and I installed some horns and a non damaged horn pad. Valve covers leaked so I slapped on a new set of gaskets. PO had removed the stock air cleaner assembly and disconnected a lot of the emissions stuff so I had to track that stuff down and get it sorted in order to register it. My first trip to the emissions test passed safety just fine but failed the high rpm hydrocarbon test. So I rebuilt tore open the carb and found a blown power valve and a dead choke pull off so the carb was just dumping fuel. I also found a home made cardboard gasket between my EGR plate and manifold. So after sorting all that out, changing the oil, new filters, and not to mention the nastiest 8 sooty plugs I've ever seen I'm proud to say my old girl is a clean running registered vehicle again.

Thanks again for this wealth of knowledge and giving me the courage to tackle these projects. Now on to the creature comforts like new carpet, upholstery, and door panels. Did I mention I have the dreaded Jade Green interior, ugh.

Quick question. PO has an aftermarket stereo installed but it's wired in constantly hot. Do these trucks have a keyed on power source in the stereo wiring that I can use to fix this annoyance?

Thanks again,
Nic

Old 04-21-2015, 03:51 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Good job Nic. Way to knock out the lil stuff and getting the ol' girl back rolling.

With regards to the radio/head unit, there should be three-prong female plug behind the instrument panel that is hot in run... I hope I'm not mixing bumps and dents cuz sometimes it's a blur. My fellow FTE'ers will correct me if I am.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:16 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Awesome to hear your good luck!

HIO, my dent has that same plug

Old 04-21-2015, 09:16 PM
redneck_davis
Senior User
Good to hear.. You seen it a few times, number one thing we ask. .pictures!! Post them.

As to the stereo, yes the stock radio is a 3(possibly 2,its been awhile) wire plug. Hot when key is on. But there is other wires in the dash you could use. Remember one of those wires (can't ever remember red or yellow) has to stay constant 12v to keep your memory.
I'd start by checking power at the fuse block, one of them is the radio fuse if you can find the plug.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:17 PM
redneck_davis
Senior User
Good to hear.. You seen it a few times, number one thing we ask. .pictures!! Post them.

As to the stereo, yes the stock radio is a 3(possibly 2,its been awhile) wire plug. Hot when key is on. But there is other wires in the dash you could use. Remember one of those wires (can't ever remember red or yellow) has to stay constant 12v to keep your memory.
I'd start by checking power at the fuse block, one of them is the radio fuse if you can find the plug.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:16 PM
nicdog
New User

These are all pics that i took when I bought it last fall. I'll have to post some new pics with some of the changes I've made

Nic

Old 04-22-2015, 01:30 AM
burnthelight88
Laughing Gas
The connector referenced above as the 3-prong female connector is very easy to find but not right behind the radio. It should be over right behind your light switch in the dash so you'd need to run about 3 feet of wire, quick job. Easily accessible from underneath the dash. It's bright yellow and easily accepts some male bullet connectors.

Unless there's another one behind the radio people are referencing?

Old 04-22-2015, 07:00 AM
Rokihsa
New User
The three prong connector is correct. I just went through this headache trying to figure this out with the help of the forum. I ended up splicing my constant to the lighter plug (yellow) and the key switched was the black and green wire out of the three prong connector from the original radio connector.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:49 PM
redneck_davis
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rokihsa
The three prong connector is correct. I just went through this headache trying to figure this out with the help of the forum. I ended up splicing my constant to the lighter plug (yellow) and the key switched was the black and green wire out of the three prong connector from the original radio connector.
That sounds right. Black/green and the constant off the lighter.

And man that interior is rough. Sweet truck though/ look beyond the rust. I love the paint scheme. And the general Lee rims would be great chrome. . not big on the all black

Old 04-23-2015, 05:19 AM
vtpkrat2
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Nice Truck! Is that the old cloth type electrical tape on the steering wheel? I remember how thrilled I was to see and use the plastic type electrical tape we have nowadays! God,I'm old! Gary

Old 04-23-2015, 05:33 AM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Received 209 Likes on 158 Posts
nice looking truck she looks happy to have a good owner again