1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody 1961, 1962 and 1963 Ford F100 Unibody trucks

toyota steering box

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 08:29 AM
greyhound
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile toyota steering box

Hello, I am mounting a toyota steering box in my 63 uni and a 60 panel truck.I know this has been covered before but cannot find it.I measured the shaft out of the box and it looks like 5/8s by 36 splines[ maybe].Looking for a coupler to fit this shaft.Would this not be metric since hose fittings are?Also I am looking for 16 inch rims for my 1963 250 uni,they are 16.5s now.It hard to find old school 16.5s tires.Does anyone near west central ohio have any rims for sale.Thank You for your help.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:25 PM
TRK-X-2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Toyota steering box is popular to the 53-56 truck. Yes the steering joint is metric (16mm?) and I can't find my paper right now but there is a kit with pitman arm and all you can get. Give me a day or two to find that stuff and I'll repost. Can't help of the rims.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:04 PM
greyhound
Mountain Pass
Smile toyota steering box

Thanks for your reply.I have everything made for the steering for both trucks.I have read alot of articles on this and then wind up more confused.Found this number for Borgeson steering coupler No.312100 to mate the box to the steering column.After looking at this I thought a borgeson u joint might be better,No.014921.Since it might not be square to the eye.The company said this would be a better option.That where I am at this point.Hoping to compare the numbers with some one else then call in my order.Thank You for all your help from everyone.Rick

Old 04-23-2015, 10:46 PM
Koolkat
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
steering box

Classic Performance Products has a steering box that is a much better fit. It is not listed for a Ford, it is listed for GM trucks BUT when they were producing the prototype, they installed the unit into a 1960 F100! I have been thinking about going that route myself, I just haven't gotten that far yet. I didn't know if you knew about this or not but it is a much nicer install than the Toy part.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:16 PM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Koolkat
Classic Performance Products has a steering box that is a much better fit. It is not listed for a Ford, it is listed for GM trucks BUT when they were producing the prototype, they installed the unit into a 1960 F100! I have been thinking about going that route myself, I just haven't gotten that far yet. I didn't know if you knew about this or not but it is a much nicer install than the Toy part.

I've got a '61 F-100, although it's not a Uni. I called CPP the other day because they list that box for up to '60. I asked them if I could use it on a '61 and they said no way. When I asked what the deal was he just replied that the frame was different(he was kinda rude, actually).
I then asked them about the Toyo box kit they used to list. He replied that the Toyo conversion had never been listed for anything newer than '60(even more rude at this point).
When I found this thread I was searching for anyone who had used either the CPP box or Toyo conversion on a '61-'63 and made them work. At this point, if I can't make either of those work, the only other option I can find is the power assist ram setup similar to the early Mustangs. I'd rather not do that if I don't have to.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:30 PM
Frank-1
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
I've got a '61 F-100, although it's not a Uni. I called CPP the other day because they list that box for up to '60. I asked them if I could use it on a '61 and they said no way. When I asked what the deal was he just replied that the frame was different(he was kinda rude, actually).
I then asked them about the Toyo box kit they used to list. He replied that the Toyo conversion had never been listed for anything newer than '60(even more rude at this point).
When I found this thread I was searching for anyone who had used either the CPP box or Toyo conversion on a '61-'63 and made them work. At this point, if I can't make either of those work, the only other option I can find is the power assist ram setup similar to the early Mustangs. I'd rather not do that if I don't have to.
I read in another place that this would work http://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-cpp5760pskoc but that you would have to cut the shaft from the old box, mill or grind it to accept a universal joint with a "D" opening and then attach it to the new box. http://www.classicperform.com/Series...eringBoxes.htm

Old 04-29-2015, 04:46 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Frank-1
I read in another place that this would work http://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-cpp5760pskoc but that you would have to cut the shaft from the old box, mill or grind it to accept a universal joint with a "D" opening and then attach it to the new box. 400 Series Power Steering Boxes and Kits

Unfortunately, that's the exact box/kit the guy told me wouldn't work.

You don't happen to have a link to the "other place" do you?
I don't mind doing whatever fabrication work I have to do to make it work, but I'd like to have an idea of how much work that is going into the project.
Currently the truck is running and driving and in semi-daily use. I plan on adding a front disc brake kit and power steering, but I can't afford to tie up the truck or the shop space for more than a week or so while doing this.
Thanks.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:25 PM
Frank-1
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
Unfortunately, that's the exact box/kit the guy told me wouldn't work.

You don't happen to have a link to the "other place" do you?
I don't mind doing whatever fabrication work I have to do to make it work, but I'd like to have an idea of how much work that is going into the project.
Currently the truck is running and driving and in semi-daily use. I plan on adding a front disc brake kit and power steering, but I can't afford to tie up the truck or the shop space for more than a week or so while doing this.
Thanks.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...61-a.html:-X04

Old 10-05-2015, 11:55 PM
Cruz219
New User
61-63 steering upgrades?

Hello everyone, I have a 62 Unibody flareside and I am new on site and looking for some guidance or experience sharing on the power steering projects.
Thanks,
Steve

Old 10-06-2015, 09:15 AM
greyhound
Mountain Pass
steering box

Hello, Well its trial and error sometimes.I put a toyota box on my 1960 ford truck.Had a pitman arm made and used the same drag link.The steering column and steering box lined up perfect.Had to use a borgeson steering joint.Was happy with that.Now on the otherhand The 63 truck was different.The 60 frame is a couple of inches wider than the 63.Had to drill a new hole in the frame for the steering box and move it toward the cab.The column and box do not line up as the 60.Had to get a borgeson joints and get a pitman arm made and a drag link from speedway.Alot more work.I was still ok with that.Then I put the 289 with c6 in the truck.Put the Y pipe in and it was very close to the steering box.About a half inch.It worked out too.I used a ford power steering unit and had the line made at napa. You can change the front end to a new suspension units that they have on the market.Then you can do a rack and pinion unit.I was raised in my grand fathers junkyard and was told to use what we had in the yard.If your budget is at no limit,you have lots of choices.I wanted to keep mine stock but with power steering for the straight axle.Just a work truck to pick up things that I cant put in our family van.Not a street cruiser. My funding is very limited.Other people on this site should be able to help you out with some more options and better ways than with what I did.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:57 PM
Cruz219
New User
steering box

Greyhound, thank you for the responses and advice.