Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Snake oil or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:14 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Snake oil or not?

As some of you may recall I have been fighting a smoke at cold start issue and oil consumption for the last 40k miles or so. Thought it was injectors. Nope. Thought it was turbo shaft seals. Nope.

In February I had my oil changed at a local Ford dealer….10w-30. Shortly after the oil change I had to R&R the engine oil cooler. I topped it off and drove it. As usual it was consuming 1qt/1000 miles. I decided to try 2qts of HotShot Secret Stiction Eliminator…why? I had read some success stories about it in the 6.0 for injectors and a side benefit was that some were seeing a reduction in oil consumption as well.

Now after some 2k miles in to my test, the oil usage is next to nothing….maybe even no oil consumption in the 2k since. I have about 1k left on this oil and then I’ll be back to 15w-40 for the summer.

Now the temps are quite a bit different since I added the HotShot Secret, nothing below say 20F, whereas previously temps might have gotten to -15F. Would that really change anything?

Old 04-13-2015, 11:40 AM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It works. And, so do some other products. Currently, I'm testing ARCOIL. I have already done the HotShot Secret.

They both are excellent products.

So far, the one that I "think" will be better at the end of my test is the ARCHOIL. For one reason. The Archoil is added to both the oil and fuel. So, you're really attacking both the top and bottom of the injectors rather than just one.

After going back and forth with both companies, it seems they are each others biggest competitors.

Both use the same but different approaches. Both claim they have solved the problem with HEUI Stiction and both claim an increase in fuel mileage.

The ARCHOIL approach is both that is has a nano lubrication for the oil side and a modifier which reduces the fuels ignition temperature.

HotShot Secret will tell you the competitors product does not dissolve deposits. ARCHOIL will tell you it does reduce deposits. Marketing?

One thing is for certain. Both have data that backs up their individual claims.

Like I said. I noticed improvement. HotShot Secret takes a while to get you there as ARCHOIL seems to improve in just a short period. Which, in my opinion is more desirable.

Just my off the cuff thoughts.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:41 PM
LAMADMAN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yall might remember a couple weeks back I flushed my top end oil and added the pro-long oil treatment, along with an oil change. At the same time I put a bottle of red line diesel fuel catalyst, fuel treatment, in the tank. I can honestly say that my truck is running smoother at idle and getting up to speed. I do believe it picked up a few mpgs as well. You can tell its quieter as well.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:01 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dan, I'm not knocking any of the additives - but why use Hot Shots on new injectors?

Old 04-13-2015, 07:21 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Dan, I'm not knocking any of the additives - but why use Hot Shots on new injectors?
My thinking was that if there was another area in the oil control system that was sticking, HotShot might free it up. I'm really at a loss...maybe some oil control piston rings got freed up? I just don't know. With the money we spend on a tank of fuel, $40 for additive seemed like a cheap try.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:07 PM
takotruckin
Senior User
I had similar results with BG products oil system cleaner and Diesel oil treatment. My truck has used 1 qt every 1000-1500 miles since I bought it at 115k. Injector o-rings have been done and the turbo has been rebuilt with no change. A year ago at 175k I ran the BG cleaner and then changed the oil, adding the conditioner to the new oil and the oil burning has completely stopped, with no noticeable drop in oil level over the 7000 mile oil change intervals.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:16 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
takotruckin...my experience mirrors yours.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:35 AM
River19
Elder User
Originally Posted by Dan V
takotruckin...my experience mirrors yours.
Doing my annual oil change this week (I only put about 5000miles on this truck per year), I might look into throwing some of the snake oil in......I assume there really isn't any downside other than the cost of the product.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:49 AM
STA-BIL®
Former Vendor
As whitetmw said, there are a few products out there that do a great job of meeting their label claims. Depending on what the application is, we have a couple of products made specifically for diesel that would be able to help. Check out the link below for our Diesel Power!® line. In addition to additives, we also have a cool product called Clindo® Instant Windshield Washer Tablets.

DIESELPOWER! Diesel Additive Improves Power and Performance of your diesel Engine

For those that are interested, we would be happy to send out a 20oz sample of Diesel Power® in addition to a 5 ct tube of the tablets. Simply shoot us a PM and we will enter the order.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you ever have questions.

Have a great day!

Old 04-14-2015, 08:38 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by STA-BIL®
As whitetmw said, there are a few products out there that do a great job of meeting their label claims. Depending on what the application is, we have a couple of products made specifically for diesel that would be able to help. Check out the link below for our Diesel Power!® line. In addition to additives, we also have a cool product called Clindo® Instant Windshield Washer Tablets.

DIESELPOWER! Diesel Additive Improves Power and Performance of your diesel Engine

Clindo Instant Windshield Wiper Tablets - YouTube

For those that are interested, we would be happy to send out a 20oz sample of Diesel Power® in addition to a 5 ct tube of the tablets. Simply shoot us a PM and we will enter the order.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you ever have questions.

Have a great day!
Really interested to hear more about the Clindo. How does it work on bugs? Do two tablets give it even more cleaning power or does it hit a certain concentration level and the tablets stop dissolving?

Old 04-14-2015, 11:25 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

I love the idea of those tablets...but the more I think about it, I am on well water.

I would be concerned about mineral deposits from the tap water. My truck has never had an issue with a plugged sprayer nozzle but I know guys who use the concentrate that have.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:40 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Come on man...we were talking about engine oil additives....and now windshield washer fluid?

Old 04-15-2015, 07:48 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Come on man...we were talking about engine oil additives....and now windshield washer fluid?
Soon to be windshield washer fluid additives

Old 04-15-2015, 08:19 AM
River19
Elder User
It's like answering a question no one asked.......

Windshield, when dirty .....I used this great new stuff called Windex.......and a razor blade......now only $19.95 if you act fast you will get two razor blades for the price of one....a $29.95 value !!!!

Old 04-15-2015, 09:09 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by River19
It's like answering a question no one asked.......

Windshield, when dirty .....I used this great new stuff called Windex.......and a razor blade......now only $19.95 if you act fast you will get two razor blades for the price of one....a $29.95 value !!!!

But wait!!...there's MORE!! If you order in the next 5 minutes...we'll double your order!!

Quick Reply: Snake oil or not?