Sponsored by: Moser

Spray Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 12:15 AM
burnthelight88
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spray Chrome

Does anyone have any experience they're willing to share with any type of spray on chrome paint such as dupli-color instant chrome or any other type/brand? I'm all ears. Let me know what your good and bad experiences are!

Personally I despise chrome and the care that it requires, most of the visual repairs on my truck I spray black, but I'm trying to keep the exterior as original as possible. I have a small amount of surface rust on my front bumper and I'm not wasting the money to re-dip the whole thing, at least right now.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:21 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Save your money and don't believe the hype... the spray can stuff is just glorified silver metallic paint at twice the cost.

If the rust is light, use fine steel wool to remove the rust stains, then apply a polish, then a coat of wax.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:24 AM
burnthelight88
Laughing Gas
Yeah I'm super skeptical that's why I'm asking. Its not light enough that I can do any elbow greasing...

Old 04-08-2015, 01:12 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
As an alternative, consider strategically applying bed liner (spray or roll on). Make it look purposeful rather looking like you're attempting to hide something.

For example, if the rust is only on the upper surface a bumper, applying a non.skid coating makes sense since we have one time or another stepped on the bumper to climb into the engine compartment. Wet soles and a slick surface don't mix.... I had a bruised knee as a result on more than one occasion.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:49 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
X2 on save your money...maybe hit the local JY/Craigslist for one in better shape? Or hit up your local FTE state chapter members to see if someone has one for sell?

Pennsylvania Chapter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 04-08-2015, 08:02 AM
northerndave
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
As an alternative, consider strategically applying bed liner (spray or roll on). Make it look purposeful rather looking like you're attempting to hide something.

For example, if the rust is only on the upper surface a bumper, applying a non.skid coating makes sense since we have one time or another stepped on the bumper to climb into the engine compartment. Wet soles and a slick surface don't mix.... I had a bruised knee as a result on more than one occasion.

I just did that yesterday for my kid's truck. (because I was thinking the very same thing)

The silver on this one is a silver metallic base coat with a 2k urethane matte clear over it.

It was kind of a beat up old step bumper to start with so I figured I didn't have much to lose with this experiment.

(this was a spray on type, I was doing the whole bed)

Old 04-08-2015, 08:53 AM
scott79
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Depending on "how" bad your surface rust is, BUT you might try to rub it down with a small tub of coke on some aluminium foil. I have had some luck removing "light" surface rust with this trick!! Like others have stated, don't waste your time and money on so called chrome spray. Chrome is plated, not sprayed!!

Old 04-08-2015, 11:36 AM
I_Am_Ozymandias
New User
Just to echo what others have said, in my experience... EVERY single time I've ever had a rattle-can of Chrome spray paint, my expectations are never even close to being met. It doesnt matter how you prep the surface, how many coats you spray, it comes out a shiny silver color, and nothing even remotely close to being anything that resembles chrome.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:44 PM
DirtyLarry
Senior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver

I think you should do this. The spray chrome is crap. A friend bought some so we tried it on some plating and it was really crappy. It wouldn't match the chrome on the rest of the bumper. As far as needing some traction on the bumper goes, I busted my ***** on the radiator support trying to get out of the engine bay once. Actually contemplated going to the hospital for awhile.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:51 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry
I think you should do this. The spray chrome is crap. A friend bought some so we tried it on some plating and it was really crappy. It wouldn't match the chrome on the rest of the bumper. As far as needing some traction on the bumper goes, I busted my ***** on the radiator support trying to get out of the engine bay once. Actually contemplated going to the hospital for awhile.
OUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! HONEY COME QUICK!!

Old 04-08-2015, 06:58 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend

'Adventures in Reaching New Octaves, Part 1'

I'm sure we've all been 'narded at one time or another.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:41 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
As far as needing some traction on the bumper goes, I busted my ***** on the radiator support trying to get out of the engine bay once. Actually contemplated going to the hospital for awhile.
Funny you say that, sat night I had a fold out step slip and let me fall rib cage first onto the core support then the boys went dragging down the push bar cross bars X3 as I slid to the ground. Red has a 6" lift and 35's so it took a bit.....as I was trying to grab something to stop my slide into 3rd base. FAIL

I have a nice 6" bruise on my L/H rig cage and was about to the throw up stage as far as the twins begin taking out of the game.

Be safe folks these things can hurt ya! What does this have to do with spray chrome, not a dam thing, I just think it is funny and painful all in one. lol

Old 04-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have used Rustoleum spray chrome on small interior parts (eg dome light bezel) and is OK there. On a bumper, agree not so much.

If fine steel wool + chrome polish + wax won't do it maybe paint it. I have seen elbow grease + wax do wonders for rusted chrome.

If painting, clean well with grease and wax remover or lacquer thinner, scuff with 220, hit it with etching primer (Rustoleum works) and then color of your choice.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:03 AM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
There is a powder coat chrome,,saw it at my local powder shop,dont know any thing about it,,,,powder guys will

Old 04-09-2015, 07:33 PM
HoustonDave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
Or combine all the methods - try and remove as much rust as possible and use a small artist's brush like you can get at somewhere like Hobby Lobby etc. to touch up JUST the rusted bits - if the rust is minor, as you say, the bumper won't look new but you won't have dark spots all over it (and will help stop the rust from re-spreading as fast.) Yes, you'll be able o see the paint - but the contrast between rust and chrome is a lot higher than between silver paint and chrome.

Quick Reply: Spray Chrome