Sponsored by: Moser

eco boost gas econ on towing

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 04:17 PM
Rickyrobert
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
eco boost gas econ on towing

i have an 2011 f-150 ecoboost with max trailer tow package and it gets 20 lieters per 100 km is this normal? thx for any advice. i am towing 4000 pounds duel axel all aluminum trailer.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:23 PM
spud57
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
For our US friends, that would be 11.8 MPG. Nope, doesn't sound bad to me at all. For us Canadians that still like MPG, that would be 14 MPG. I'd take that any day.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:25 PM
Rickyrobert
Tuned
Originally Posted by spud57
For our US friends, that would be 11.8 MPG. Nope, doesn't sound bad to me at all. For us Canadians that still like MPG, that would be 14 MPG. I'd take that any day.
thx! just was worrieing that there was something wrong with my truck

Old 04-05-2015, 04:47 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
Ricky, when towing on the highway, the frontal area of the trailer makes a lot more difference than the weight. If that's a cargo or travel trailer, you are actually doing better than I would have expected.

I also wish that people would stop quoting "Canadian MPG". It's a useless and confusing measurement. But that's just my pet peeve.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:19 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
I get 8 and 9 miles per gallon towing 8,000 pounds of travel trailer. Wind resistance and spooling turbos will not provide good fuel economy on almost any gas engine.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:52 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by efx4
I get 8 and 9 miles per gallon towing 8,000 pounds of travel trailer. Wind resistance and spooling turbos will not provide good fuel economy on almost any gas engine.
Yeppers, exactly what I get too! Taller the trailer, the more drag you get, drag eats horsepower!

Old 04-06-2015, 08:54 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would also be helpful to know at what speed these fuel rates are. Pulling at 50 MPH I might get 14 MPG, but at 70, not so much.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:48 AM
highoctane74
More Turbo
I am getting around 9-10 mpg towing a 6500 pound enclosed trailer 65-70 mph. I tow it quite regularly.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:02 AM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Originally Posted by efx4
Originally Posted by highoctane74
I am getting around 9-10 mpg towing a 6500 pound enclosed trailer 65-70 mph. I tow it quite regularly.
wow I tow a 7890# TT I get like 11MPG with my 5.0 at 65 if I hit the hills I get a little less think last year I pulled over the grape vine in so Cal and it dropped down to 9 MPG. so I guess only thing the eco boost give you a quitter ride because MPG are pretty dam close. I hand calculated it so I might be a little off because the lie o meter says I am getting13 when towing

Old 04-07-2015, 07:20 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Most of the places of where I camp is cruising 70+ mph on the highway and/or very hilly, which isn't good for fuel economy. Eco or Boost!

Old 04-08-2015, 05:22 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The "Eco OR Boost" is a very good point to consider. The whole idea of that engine is its ability to make power throughout its RPM range when needed. I would wager that if you pulled the same exact loads with the same trucks (except one having the 5.0 and the other having the EB), staying side-by-side the entire time, they would get very close to the same mileage. OF COURSE the EB is going to burn more fuel if you pull the Grapevine hammer-down on both engines because the EB will be making more power the whole time because of its turbos and torque power band ability pulling it much faster in comparison. That's kind of the point. More power means more fuel (and more air provided by turbos).

I find the pi$$ing contests between these motors (all three actually) extremely humorous. They're very different beasts with very different capabilities. Comparing all these numbers is helpful in a limited way, but you have to remember that if you pull all the time, you know the ability to get the load accelerated to cruising speed faster is handy, as well as ability to pull at higher altitudes, but it comes at a cost. It's all up to each of you to figure out what you want out of your trucks. For me, the EB was a no-brainer. For someone else, the 5.0 or 6.2 was a no-brainer...

Old 04-08-2015, 09:18 PM
simenad
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ecoboost towing

I tow 12,000 race car trailer and a loaded truck and get 13 mpg but I have a tow tune which really helps and whenever I tow I use manual control so that I can keep the engine rpm in the low end of the power band a and helps make the small hills without dropping out of 6th.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:12 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy351
The "Eco OR Boost" is a very good point to consider. The whole idea of that engine is its ability to make power throughout its RPM range when needed. I would wager that if you pulled the same exact loads with the same trucks (except one having the 5.0 and the other having the EB), staying side-by-side the entire time, they would get very close to the same mileage. OF COURSE the EB is going to burn more fuel if you pull the Grapevine hammer-down on both engines because the EB will be making more power the whole time because of its turbos and torque power band ability pulling it much faster in comparison. That's kind of the point. More power means more fuel (and more air provided by turbos).

I find the pi$$ing contests between these motors (all three actually) extremely humorous. They're very different beasts with very different capabilities. Comparing all these numbers is helpful in a limited way, but you have to remember that if you pull all the time, you know the ability to get the load accelerated to cruising speed faster is handy, as well as ability to pull at higher altitudes, but it comes at a cost. It's all up to each of you to figure out what you want out of your trucks. For me, the EB was a no-brainer. For someone else, the 5.0 or 6.2 was a no-brainer...
I agree with you...the main difference with the EGOboost is that is sustains less power loss at altitude than the 5.oL would pulling the same load. I could really care less how FAST it gets there...I just want that power in reserve for passing a semi going 25 mph up a 11% grade!

Old 04-09-2015, 09:21 AM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Originally Posted by Izzy351

good point I was just surprised at just how close the MPG where. and again the three motors are great! I was not trying to sound like one was better than the other if that's how my last post sounded it was not my intent so sorry if it did.
thanks

Old 04-09-2015, 11:17 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
I'm not able to compare the EcoBoost and the 5.0, but I can compare with the 5.4L engine. I found that I get about the same mileage while towing my 5000lb travel trailer, but I have so much more power for hills and passing.
It's the big improvement in unloaded mileage that impresses me.

Quick Reply: eco boost gas econ on towing