1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Reconnecting Fuel Line at Tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 04:08 PM
shareec70
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reconnecting Fuel Line at Tank

Okay, I am beside myself here. I just went through what has been a very painful fuel tank replacement. I used a new LMC steel tank with all new hardware (straps, strap bolts, etc). It seems this new tank is slight larger as once mounted on the running board supports, there was no room for wiggle or adjustment, even before tightening the straps down.

So, now that all that was done (including changing out the running board to frame bolts (since the old ones would not thread back). I finally got it all mounted up and ready to go.

Here's where I am just frustrated as heck. I go to connect the fuel line to the new tank. It's the stock fuel line and the stock tank fitting (pulled off of the old tank and installed on new tank in exactly the same spot and angle). But, I cannot get the fuel line to truly thread down into the fitting, no matter how hard I try. It's not quite lining up and with no ability to adjust this tank either side to side or up/down, I can't seem to get it connected. The length is there, it just won't thread and seat(as if the angle isn't quite right). I can maybe get a couple of twists on the compression fitting by hand, but that's it and if when I go to tighten it with a wrench, it then jumps back out on me (know what I mean?). This should just be a line the fittings up and thread it together operation but I can't seem to get it. I've been careful with the steel fuel line as I don't want to jack that up, but this is getting ridiculous. Any tips, hints, or suggestions? I am so frustrated and have no feeling left in my thumbs and fingers from trying to tighten these things enough for the threads to start grabbing.

If I can't make this work, what are my options? Is there some sort of flexible tubing I could connect to each stock connector and make the connection? I don't think I have the will or strength at this point to even think about running some sort of new fuel line.

HELP! It should have been so simple of a step.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:19 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Steady there Big Guy. This is a hobby, not a battle for something consequential.

Let's back up a sec. So you replaced the tank - always a good thing - but are intending on keeping the old lines. Can I ask why?

Is the issue your having caused by the fitting or the angle/positioning of the old line?

Old 04-05-2015, 04:27 PM
shareec70
Freshman User
Thanks FortyNiner.

I replaced the tank because the old one had some soft spots on the bottom starting to develop. It wasn't really a planned project so I didn't really think through the whole fuel delivery system. And to be honest, I'm learning as I go on a very tight budget and tackling the entire steel fuel line is quite intimidating.

It looks as if it is possibly the angle of the fitting. It's close, and when I say close, I mean really close to being just fine. Maybe that's what gets me. But, after two days of trying to get it to thread, I'm lost. I've tried to adjust the angle some and the steel line, but now it just feels like an exercise in insanity.

Here's a pic of just how close it was on the initial reinstall. I got the fitting to start to thread, but not enough to make the connection start tightening.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:41 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Dumb question, but you never know..... is it a reverse thread?

Old 04-05-2015, 04:47 PM
shareec70
Freshman User
Not a dumb question at all Abe, but it isn't.

I probably just need to walk away for a week or two. But, I just can't stand the truck not running and it's now springtime so the yard needs mulch, I was going to get some plywood and pegboard for another project, etc. All of those projects that I love doing with the truck... because the truck makes them fun.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:56 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by shareec70
Not a dumb question at all Abe, but it isn't.

I probably just need to walk away for a week or two. But, I just can't stand the truck not running and it's now springtime so the yard needs mulch, I was going to get some plywood and pegboard for another project, etc. All of those projects that I love doing with the truck... because the truck makes them fun.
I know what you mean. You want to use your truck. Sometimes I make up excuses to use my trucks.

I had a similar problem with my 70 F350. A buddy and I were putting in a new brake cylinder and he had to leave and I could not get the brake line screwed into the back of the cylinder for the life of me. I worked for hours. I did not want to bend and kink the line and yet had to get it at the right angle. The next morning it took two of us. One to get he angle right and one to screw it in.

Good luck.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:06 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Those are a PITA to get started. Try sliding the nut back, putting the tube into the tank fitting and using that to guide the nut down. It will help if you loosen up the line so you can move it/tilt it etc.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:10 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Ok, the tank needed to be replaced - got it. Is the existing fuel line clean? Putting clean gas in a new tank and running it to the carb in old, dirty lines will get you stranded quick. Replacing the lines may make the most sense - and it likely eliminates the current frustration.

I understand the eagerness to get on the road. You don't want to hurry now to redo next week.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:57 PM
shareec70
Freshman User
Thanks for the tip Albuq-F1. I've been trying that, but I hadn't really loosed the line at all. I've just been working with what was there. I'll give that a shot.

FortyNiner - You are very wise. The truck ran like a champ before without any fuel delivery issues, so it didn't really cross my mind. But I may heed your advice. If I can't get it to thread in, a new steel fuel line may be in order. On first glance, it looks like to run that line the radiator has to be removed or lifted to run the line under it, does it not?

I'm taking a break from the truck for the evening. I have a blister on my right thumb the size of a quarter from continuing to try and start that connection. I'll do some research on the fuel line and talk to a few local mechanic friends of mine here to see if they can take a quick look in case I'm missing something obvious. I can be very stupid about things like this.

Thank you guys so much for your help. I'm really not mechanically inclined and I appreciate all of your advice and patience. I'm an IT guy by trade but this truck is a welcome relief from 0s and 1s, but just not on days like today.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:42 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
If the nut is hard to turn on the tube, there is likely crap in between the nut and the line. Slide the nut back as much as you can and hose the gap between the nut and line with brake cleaner or carb cleaner. Then oil it. It should spin easily.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:51 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
I can kinda see where that would be a real bit ch if the fitting is not lined up. A new line may well need a little tweak as well? Bend the line slightly so it's square to the fitting or it will never thread right, and may leak.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:49 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
What I see in the photo is the tank fitting needs to be rotated counter clockwise slightly.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:17 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
I have just refitted mine up, but I bent my steel line and ended up getting piece of copper pipe made up with a new fitting. If I hadn't damaged mine removing it, I think it would have been a bugger to get back in there as that old fuel line is bolted on top of the chassis rail and I would be inclined to undo and remove it to facilitate easing it into the tank.
The new piece I used was a fair bit shorter than the original but I just ran some rubber hose to it and ignored bolting it back up where it was. Not the best solution, perhaps but it fitted up very easily.

what worries me is if your tank is bigger than your angle is gonna be out of alignment and that would account for the difficulty of refitting it, methinks?

Old 04-06-2015, 08:07 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Try threading another fitting in it alone without the line. That will show you the angle and tell you are in the right flare thread fitting. see your angle beside the tubing and adjust your fitting to match then take out the test one screw in your fuel lline.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:30 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by pweng1
Try threading another fitting in it alone without the line. That will show you the angle and tell you are in the right flare thread fitting. see your angle beside the tubing and adjust your fitting to match then take out the test one screw in your fuel lline.
What he said. Don't be afraid to "adjust" that steel line. And of course you know, don't put a wrench on the fitting until you have taken up a couple threads by hand.

Quick Reply: Reconnecting Fuel Line at Tank