Sponsored by:

Engine bay harness, V10

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 09:54 PM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine bay harness, V10

If you've seen my other post, you know I'm working on the victim of a mild fire.

I need all of the wiring in the engine compartment of my 2000 Limited V10.

My questions are:

1) What year range will work?
2) Is the harness Excursion-specific, or is it the same as a V10 truck?
3) Is the harness the same for all like-year Excursions, or are there multiple harnesses depending on options?

Bonus question: Ford is already aware that this vehicle burned due to the recall issue- they cut the previous owner a check. Does this mean I'll get no recall fix love once I get it running again? If not, is the fix available for purchase through a dealer, or will I be forced to pay their mechanic to install it?

Old 04-01-2015, 02:18 AM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
What, no wiring gurus in here?

I poked around one of the online Ford parts dealers and came up with 4 different engine harnesses for a 2000 Excursion with 4x4 and a V10 (but with no answers to my questions above).

It looks like the 4 harnesses listed centers around having (or not having) 3 components: California emissions, daytime running lights, and electronic shift-on-the-fly. Here's their offerings:

1) Without Cali emissions, without ESOF, WITH DRL
2) Without Cali emissions, without DRL, WITH ESOF
3) Without DRL, WITH Cali emissions, WITH ESOF
4) WITH Cali emissions, WITH DRL, WITH ESOF

I know my Ex has ESOF (obvious **** on the dash), but how do I know if it has DRL or Cali emissions with the driver side engine compartment burned out of it?

IT GETS MORE INTERESTING- they appear to have FIVE dash harnesses listed for a 2000 with 4x4 and a V10. The dash harnesses lists having (or not having) DRL, but there is no mention of ESOF. Would that mean the 4x4 dash harnesses all have the ESOF wiring even if it came with a manual transfer case (engine harness #1 above)?

The dash harnesses break down like this:
1) WITH rear audio, without CD, without DRL
2) Without rear audio, without CD, without DRL
3) WITH rear audio, WITH CD, without DRL
4) WITH rear audio, WITH CD, WITH DRL
5) Without rear audio, without CD, WITH DRL

I assume by "CD," they mean CD changer, correct? I have the rear audio control, but the second plug to the head unit only has the three wires, so I don't have wiring for a changer. So my dash harness would be #1 in that list- ASSUMING THIS IS A COMPLETE LIST (which it may not be). That would mean the only way you could have DRL is to have BOTH rear audio AND CD, or have neither.

For an engine harness (assuming THAT list is complete as well), I possibly have 2, 3 or 4 from the top list, since my transfer case isn't manual. And if the dash harness list is complete, I shouldn't have DRL (since I have rear audio but no CD), so THAT would mean I'd have engine harness 2 or 3 (depending on if I have California emissions or not.

So, my NEW questions (to go along with the original 3 questions are:

4) I'm betting the PCM will be programmed for either standard emissions or Cali emissions, so that has to match. It's pretty obvious the computer has no connection to the audio system (otherwise aftermarket head units would throw a code). SO WHAT ABOUT DRL? I'm guessing no relation to the computer, right? Is choosing the correct emission system all I have to worry about in finding a good, used engine harness?

5) Transfer case- exactly what functions of the ESOF system relate to the computer? I'm toying with the idea of swapping to a manual setup IF I don't have to do a major work-around to satisfy the computer.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:36 AM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
As to my second question-
"Is the harness Excursion-specific, or is it the same as a V10 truck?"

I think I have the answer to that. I downloaded the owners manual for a 2000 Excursion and was looking at the pages showing the locations of all the fuses and relays. In the Power Distribution Box, there are the following Excursion-only components:
Fuse 1- Rear Wiper
Fuse 3- Quarter Flip Window Motor
Fuse 9- Left Rear Quarter Power Point
Fuse 11- Cargo Power Point
Maxi-Fuse 103- Aux Blower Motor
Maxi-Fuse 118 Rear Defrost
Half Relay 204- Quarter Flip Window Motor
Half Relay 205- Rear Wiper
Half Relay 206- Rear Washer

Looking at these same locations on my truck, there aren't even electrical contacts in most unused slots. And since the Power Distribution Box is part of the underhood harness, it is pretty certain that Excursion underhood harnesses are exclusive to Excursion, so no Super Duty wiring.

So, to recap my questions (and add one more:

1) What year range will work for my 2000?
2) ANSWERED: Is the harness Excursion-specific, or is it the same as a V10 truck?
3) SOMEWHAT ANSWERED: Is the harness the same for all like-year Excursions, or are there multiple harnesses depending on options?
4a) I'm betting the PCM will be programmed for either standard emissions or Cali emissions, so that has to match. It's pretty obvious the computer has no connection to the audio system (otherwise aftermarket head units would throw a code). SO WHAT ABOUT DRL? I'm guessing no relation to the computer, right? Is choosing the correct emission system all I have to worry about in finding a good, used engine harness?
4b) How do I tell if I have California emissions?
5) Transfer case- exactly what functions of the ESOF system relate to the computer? I'm toying with the idea of swapping to a manual setup IF I don't have to do a major work-around to satisfy the computer.
6) Is the headlamp harness a completely separate harness from the engine harness?

Old 04-01-2015, 06:44 AM
JuanHuevos
I'm still around...mostly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I by no means claim to be an expert on these things, there, that's my disclaimer.
I do know that I've read a few threads about guys swapping diesels in place of their gassers. It seems that many folks needed a matching dash harness for the year they pulled the engine from. Meaning, if you're swapping an 03 7.3 into a 01, you'd need the 03 harness for the dash too. So IF that's correct, then the dash and underhood harness go together. With that assumption, if you have a 2000, then I'd further assume you'd only be able to use a 2000 or 2001 harness because the instrument cluster changed to digital in 2002. Maybe by looking around at some of the threads about engine swaps, you can learn more about the differences.
As for the DRL, I know there was that big push to use them back in the late 90s. I used to be a mechanic in Germany on a NATO base. I did the yearly inspection on all the cars from all the nations that were stationed there. Canadians always had DRLs. I asked about that and one Canadian guy told me it was a law up there. So maybe, here we go with assumptions again, maybe it's a Canadian thing. I don't think I've ever seen an Ex with DRLs but that means probably next to nothing since like I stated before, I'm kinda new. Maybe a Canadian will confirm or deny this DRL thing.
Anyway, that's my insight. Good luck!

Old 04-01-2015, 02:50 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Take your vin number to a ford parts department. They can usually tell you which part numbers you need. Also if you got the one with evey option then you know you have all the wires needed with a few extras.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:19 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by JuanHuevos
Maybe a Canadian will confirm or deny this DRL thing.
I'm not Canadian and I don't have DRL, does that help? Didn't think so

Old 04-01-2015, 05:52 PM
sessland
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
DRL is in fact mandatory here in Canada.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:33 AM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Yeah, I knew Canada has a thing for DRL's. We have a 99 Jeep Sahara that was built for the Canadian market with the DRL's. The TJ Wrangler sites are always blown away that I have DRL's on it.

I wouldn't mind having DRL's on the Excursion, but since I'm looking to get a USED harness, and no one seems to have seen a DRL'ed Ex south of the Canadian border, I might be out of luck.

I agree that the dash harness and the underhood harness has to match- after all, both the dash harness and the underhood harness comes in DRL/non-DRL flavors. I also need to know if I have standard or Cali emissions, because that will definitely be reflected in the computer.

I did some searching here, and from what I've seen in a couple posts, the Cali emissions will have another O2 sensor behind the cat, an EGR on the driver side exhaust manifold and a vapor pressure sensor on the fuel pump. Can anyone confirm this?

As for the ESOF- I'm confused: the ENGINE harness is available for ESOF/non-ESOF, but the DASH harness makes no mention of it. Do you think the non-ESOF dash harnesses have the wiring for it then? I imagine a non-ESOF Excursion is a pretty rare beast...

Old 04-02-2015, 04:25 AM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought they all had esof. Never seen one without. I have Cali emissions on mine and yes, there is an o2 after the cat on the Cali emissions vehicles. Which I thought odd since my truck was sold new in Texas.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:25 AM
JuanHuevos
I'm still around...mostly
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
I thought they all had esof. Never seen one without. I have Cali emissions on mine and yes, there is an o2 after the cat on the Cali emissions vehicles. Which I thought odd since my truck was sold new in Texas.
I thought the same. I don't know that there's an Ex out there with ESOF.
Idk about Ex's but every Cali emissions car I've been under has had the extra O2 sensor after the cat. Just trying to help corroborate.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:30 AM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Psyclopse
I did some searching here, and from what I've seen in a couple posts, the Cali emissions will have another O2 sensor behind the cat, an EGR on the driver side exhaust manifold and a vapor pressure sensor on the fuel pump. Can anyone confirm this?
Confirmed.

Also, if the emissions labeling under the hood is intact, it will indicate if it's a federal or California compliant vehicle.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
I thought they all had ESOF as well. In fact, I've seen numerous post from knowledgeable people who state as fact "All Excursions have ESOF."

But yet Ford's parts department has available an Excursion-only harness WITHOUT ESOF...

Buy 2000 Ford Excursion Parts | FordParts.com

Look at the one that costs $886.33

Old 04-02-2015, 10:56 AM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Perhaps a govt model or a different country had that option. Do they offer both transfer cases as well?

Old 04-02-2015, 11:20 AM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Looks like they only carry the ESOF transfer case- BUT- that doesn't necessarily mean they didn't carry the manual at one time.

Then again, this is Ford- "without ESOF" could mean it's a harness from a 2wd I guess, but I don't know why it would show up in a search for my truck specs, or why it would be the only 2wd harness listed...

Anyway, I just went out and looked- I DO NOT have an o2 sensor after the cat, and I just have the flat nub on the driver side exhaust manifold instead of the EGR. So I guess I DON'T have California emissions.

So, unless there are more harnesses out there that the parts site didn't list, my options are:
1) Without Cali emissions, without ESOF, WITH DRL
2) Without Cali emissions, without DRL, WITH ESOF

And since I have ESOF, I guess I don't have DRL's...

Old 04-02-2015, 12:46 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
#2 looks like the one to me.

Quick Reply: Engine bay harness, V10