1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The old gang is exactly that OLD

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 09:02 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The old gang is exactly that OLD

Tried to get some help this weekend moving a few things. I heard excuses and everyone's medical history from guys 9 years younger than me.I Know i'm not the man I used to be so I cant blame them. The dam mud just wont let the engine hoist roll and room is limited. 20 Years ago when I did the dodge truck. I'd call a few buddies and we lifted off the bed and cab all by hand. How I envy those guys on here with lifts and tractors with room to use them.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:17 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by pweng1
Tried to get some help this weekend moving a few things. I heard excuses and everyone's medical history from guys 9 years younger than me.I Know i'm not the man I used to be so I cant blame them. The dam mud just wont let the engine hoist roll and room is limited. 20 Years ago when I did the dodge truck. I'd call a few buddies and we lifted off the bed and cab all by hand. How I envy those guys on here with lifts and tractors with room to use them.
Yeah. Part of the problem is when we were younger and stronger, we did lift all those things that screwed up our backs so we can't lift them any more.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:12 PM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Got it covered! My youngest son is 20 and he and his friends use my garage and equipment. In turn, they do the heavy work for me. I stand around and offer technical advise.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:18 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I play a game with my boys, both in their early 20s. I act like I can't lift and the try the old man up by showing me they can out do me. I don't care, I've done enough lifting and carrying for them in their first 20 years of their lives.

My main gripe about getting people to help me with moving and carrying stuff is I'm always available when someone calls for help no matter when they call, or how short of notice but when I need help it always seems like no one is available no matter even if I give an advance notice.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:23 PM
walt460
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We got a great bunch of car/truck guys out here in Southern Nevada. I always offer to help when someone needs a hand, and others do the same. Together we keep all our projects moving and no one needs to hurt themselves. Too heavy? Get more old guys lifting it!

Old 03-21-2015, 07:38 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2

My main gripe about getting people to help me with moving and carrying stuff is I'm always available when someone calls for help no matter when they call, or how short of notice but when I need help it always seems like no one is available no matter even if I give an advance notice.
Bob the only answer to that problem is to say "NO" you are not available because you have your own things to do by yourself. Have fun

Old 03-22-2015, 07:12 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by pweng1
Tried to get some help this weekend moving a few things. I heard excuses and everyone's medical history from guys 9 years younger than me.I Know i'm not the man I used to be so I cant blame them. The dam mud just wont let the engine hoist roll .
same problem here... never have any help... you have to improvise.. one thing I did was add off road wheels to my hoist... can't find a pic of the whole engine hoist but here's a shot of the wheels

H.F. wheels and a little tubing that inserts into the regular wheel extension. I've used it to pull chainlink fence posts, haul heavy stuff across the yard.. I have wrapped a chain around the cylinder end and pulled it with a cub cadet... handy for me !

Old 03-22-2015, 07:28 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Country folks seem to pitch in more.

Originally Posted by walt460
We got a great bunch of car/truck guys out here in Southern Nevada. I always offer to help when someone needs a hand, and others do the same. Together we keep all our projects moving and no one needs to hurt themselves. Too heavy? Get more old guys lifting it!

From the time I got out of school till about 20 years ago we had a great bunch of guys that all helped each other with projects. Life seems to change things as some died, some moved away, and the others just got out of that race car/ project mentality. I notice that even on this site I seem to be the only one from Maryland in this forum. If there are others close by I would love to here from you.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:52 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never had any help with my projects either. Working alone you have to be creative when it comes to removing cabs and beds.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:06 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
So, the solution is to develop nubile female friends - that usually brings the young bucks around. Focus is an issue. Lacking that, pizza and beer are always winners.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:10 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2

That does sound familiar

I have one friend who might help when it's convenient for him...mostly I'm afraid he might hurt himself

Old 03-22-2015, 09:13 AM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just the opposite here. Always have the help if needed but usually just me and the wife. Glad to know they are there when it really counts though.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:49 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
So far I've had to do it all myself and be creative.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:52 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon
same problem here... never have any help... you have to improvise.. one thing I did was add off road wheels to my hoist... can't find a pic of the whole engine hoist but here's a shot of the wheels

H.F. wheels and a little tubing that inserts into the regular wheel extension. I've used it to pull chainlink fence posts, haul heavy stuff across the yard.. I have wrapped a chain around the cylinder end and pulled it with a cub cadet... handy for me !
I've done this with my rotisserie, will see if they fit my engine hoist, if not those wheels are fairly cheap. Thanks John

Old 03-22-2015, 10:01 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
So, the solution is to develop nubile female friends - that usually brings the young bucks around. Focus is an issue. Lacking that, pizza and beer are always winners.
I'll just have to tell a related story. I found a Ford script bed frame that had been in the woods long enough for trees to grow up through and around it. I asked the guy how we would get it out of the woods and onto the back of my truck. He said, not to worry, he would have it ready to load when I came for it. The day I picked it up, he had several strong young men hanging around, just waiting to help. Actually, I think they had been tricked into a party, given by or for his teen age daughters. These guys picked up the bed frame, stood it on edge and carried and loaded it onto my truck while the cute little girls. their dad, and I supervised.

Quick Reply: The old gang is exactly that OLD