customizeing ford aerostar vans

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 11:17 AM
Shooter
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'ts me
Well i just got started on my project, The doors are off , and the termites have lost there home, The rocker panles looked like swiss cheese , the bottom of the doors wont be a big problem
went to the local junk yards(or should i say recycle yards )
got what i needed for caddy tail lights, I been thinking about welding up the back door an fill it in and put in a third light, and
maybe put in a new location for the rear tags, you know kinda side ways that way i can install a rollpan on the rear. well that gives you all enough to laugh about for a while, but this will keep me off the streets an outa the bars

Have a good day!
Shooter

Old 07-30-2003, 12:12 PM
agelder
Senior User

I saw something on "Trucks!" (cable show) that may interest you for the tag. It's a small metal box/tray that allows you to recess the tax in whatever position you want. It has a template you cut out of the body panel, then you put it in the hole, weld the edge, and paint.

Old 07-30-2003, 11:00 PM
rickm5
Senior User

i think all aerostar back lift gates are fibreglass. so no welding needed. if you have the "barn doors" back end they might be metal.... i would like to have doors instead of the lift gate . but at least its not too heavy. rick
91 aero ext xl

Old 08-01-2003, 09:55 AM
Shooter
New User

Thanks rickm5
I'll be dadgum if you wasnt right, i just didnt think that back door was fiberglass,its so darn heavy,well that makes the caddy lights go where the tail lights are, i will have to fill in where the lights are an then cut the new lights in, I aint about to mess with no fiberglass ever again, the front doors are shaved working on the side door.
Keep the shinny side up!
Shooter

Old 08-01-2003, 01:54 PM
lvmoose007
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rickm5
[B]i saw a 89 or 90 aerostar with a cone shaped air filter on the end of the air intake , where my air filter box is. anyone else done that? does it help mpgs?.

No, the cone filters do not help any, and actually hurt performance.....the underhood area of the aerostar is rather cramped, and gets very hot in there. You then pull in that hot, underhood air, and your engine performence suffers....I did some airbox mods to my 95 4.0, it pulls in underhood air, and now, when it is hot, it runs like crap. I pulled the hood off for some paint touch up, and drove it around like that, and it ran like it had an additional 40 hp....I will be redoing the airbox, and adding a outside air intake tube.....I already knew that ram air setups work, I just had no idea how much hot air would affect the way this particular engine ran (pinging, etc).......

Old 08-03-2003, 10:15 PM
David26
Junior User

I've been giving ram air a lot of thought lately but I'm worried about blowing up my engine. Are there any engine mods that I need to look at to accomodate this extra hp? I'm looking at fabricating up a hood scoop similar to that on the Subaru WRX and then running the air through a K&N Filter. Thanks.

David

1989 Aerostar Eddie Bauer - 136,000 km

Old 08-03-2003, 11:56 PM
rickm5
Senior User

i'd like to know more about that airbox modification when you do it!! thanks. rick

91 aerostar xl. ext. 4.0 litre

Old 05-20-2016, 03:27 PM
John Strohsnitterjr
New User
Lifting a 91 ford Aerostar

one day I would like to get a 1991 Ford Aerostar Xlt 4wd maybe extended
: Well I always loved the Bigfoot Aerostar how much time effort and money and how hard it is to put a lift kit on a Aerostar