Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spinoff, so you own a Ford, but why a 87-96 F-series?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 02:34 AM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
Because it was given to me as my first vehicle. As much as I love the thing, after having the Ranger for 3 weeks now I will hop in that 9 times out of 10 just because it is a much more pleasant vehicle to drive. The F150 is loud, has poor brakes, rides like crap and has steering so loose I start to wonder if the steering wheel even connects to the front wheels. Then there's the horrendous gas mileage. Even with all of that I won't ever be able to bring myself to sell it...

Old 03-15-2015, 12:48 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
theyre hard not to love....

there aren't too many stock vehicles that I ogle over, but a clean obs does it for me every time. not a big fan of the f150s though...no ogling over those.

cheap to modify, infinitely more junkyard replacement parts than time to pull them, cheap to fix, simple to fix, 4 real doors in the CC's....and great lookin.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:20 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
At the time, the girl I was dating had horses. I would drive the trailer hooked to her cherokee and it was barely enough with two horses in it. I was in love with the obs crewcabs, but when I was buying I had a very limited budget. So I brought home the brick nose cclb, knowing it would need work. But towing the horse trailer, well couldn't even feel that thing behind the truck.

The girl moved on but the truck stayed. I've thought about selling, but have really put too much money in it, too break even so it's been sitting in my shop collecting dust. However this year I would like to get her back on the road ready to drive me and the guys and 60 gallons of beer to the Coca-Cola race in Charlotte.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:40 PM
miguel.in.az
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my 95 because I have been wanting a decently clean 94-96 eddie bauer truck for a few years. I was dead set on having a 2wd single cab, 6 cylinder manual but when a buddy saw mine for sale I jumped at the chance to get it.

Coming from owning one of these:

Owning, fixing and maintaining a ford is a cakewalk lol

Old 03-15-2015, 08:42 PM
miguel.in.az
Cross-Country
I got mine because I have been wanting a 94-96 Eddie Bauer truck for a couple of years, I was set on having a 2wd, single cab/short bed with a 6 cylinder and 5 speed. But when mine (a super cab) came up for sale I jumped on it since it met every other criteria that I wanted,

Plus after owning one of these:

Fixing a ford is a cakewalk

Old 03-15-2015, 10:21 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
#1 reason;

7.3L PSD

There really isn't another reason needed, but....

#2. I like the looks
#3. this is my third one and despite minor issues they seem to take a licking and keep on ticking.
#4 I don't feel that chevy, dodge, or others are upto the same build quality but that is a personal opinion.
#5 Don't want to have to onstantly fix a 6.0
#6 replace the exhaust on a 6.4l every 80,000 miles
#7 I don't have the money for a 6.7L

Old 03-15-2015, 11:04 PM
Ddaybc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have mine because my dad gave it to me just before he died. It turns out I love the look of the truck. At first I felt it was more complicated than I wanted because of all of the computer stuff but it's actually not too bad. If I win the lottery I'm going to buy a Raptor, otherwise I'll stick to older ford's.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:51 AM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My first vehicle was an 89 Bronco. I learned to work on cars with that truck and have always been very comfortable both driving and working on this Era of trucks. I seem to focus on the 83-91 years. I've owned around a dozen over the years and never had one older than 83 and only one newer than 91 and that was bought strictly for parts - 97 F350 460/E4OD 4x4.

At this point I've got 4 complete engines, 3 transmissions, 2 transfer cases and an assortment of other parts... So no plans in looking at anything else. I've been wanting a jeep, but I keep reminding myself I have no jeep parts... I'd have to swap in a 302 and 8.8 axles...

Old 03-16-2015, 08:52 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Love the body style of the OBS. The last of the trucks that came with vent windows! Why anyone ever did away with them I'll never know.

Parts are cheap. They're simple to work on. There's room to work and you can SEE all the pieces, unlike new junk where you look under the hood and see a big chunk of plastic. Hell you can't even check the auto trans fluid level on some new stuff... NO DIPSTICK!

They're tough and reliable with just basic maintenance and wear items taken care of.

No trips to the dealer for a reflash or to troubleshoot chassis electrical systems. Even OBD2 trucks (mine) are easy to work on! I actually prefer EEC-V. Not any more complex than EEC-IV but with V you can view sensor data.

Looks and feels like a truck inside and out, not ancient and not new. Inside is modern enough while still looking like a TRUCK and not a car.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:40 AM
turnkyle
Elder User
For me, its just one of my favorite ford body styles besides the 73-79's. This body style is one of the best looking super cab, short bed trucks out there especially with a 4" lift. Plus it comes in a crew cab with one of the best diesel motors if the time. The 7.3 is pretty reliable but a little over exaggerated at times. (I wish more people would realize its a 300-350,000 mile motor with the 500,000 being the exception). Tons of room in the crew cab too.

I think this year range is the perfect combination of comfort features on the cab, electronics on the motor, and good old fashioned mechanical systems that make these trucks easy to work on and fix yourself. I like popping the hood and seeing an engine not a giant plastic cover.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:45 AM
Billnb79
New User
Because I wanted a 8 ft bed at a reasonable price.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:12 AM
joegeds
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was tired of paying expensive repair bills for the new vehicles I owned. Also, I had to get rid of a few vehicles that were only 10 or so yrs old because the repair bills exceeded their worth. To repair newer vehicles (mid 90's and newer) you have to pull a ton of stuff off just to get to the broken part. You also needed computers and code readers to do this stuff. I hearkened back to the days of my youth when I could open the hood of my '74 Duster, and all that was there was the 225 slant 6 and a few other parts. VERY easy to work on, and thusly, cars tended to last longer because we could repair them on our own. So, I was actually looking for an older F150 that would fit this description, when my '96 kind of fell in my lap. Still easier to work on than my '03 Trailblazer and '09 Saturn, but also has some computer controlled stuff and a semi-full engine compartment that can be difficult hurdles at times.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:43 AM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Love the OBS body style. In my opinion they are the last of the REAL trucks. And for someone like myself that still has a lot to learn about cars in general, these trucks are easy to work on and diagnose yourself (With some help from the members of FTE every now and then)

I've driven plenty of other trucks and nothing ever feels the same as driving one of these. The newer trucks just feel like you're driving a big car rather than a truck, but every time I jump in the seat of an OBS I feel right at home.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:10 PM
choate
Elder User
Because they are reliable and tough plus easy to work on but mainly bc they are just cool. It's one of my top favorite body styles of all time. When I think "truck" there isn't anything about these that doesn't fit that definition

Old 03-16-2015, 09:42 PM
ihf-350
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My first truck was a 1992 f-150 nite with the 5.0 2wd fell and fell in love with fords. Then the first winter came and snow and 2wd in the hills in MO suck so stupid me sold it and bought a 1993 f-150 xlt 4x4 5.8l bothe were very reliable trucks then I bought a jeep and had nothing but troubles traded it in for an 01 f-150 xl 4x4 4.6l it was ok but wasn't my favorite. There was a guy on CL who was looking to sell trade a 92 f-350 xlt 4x4 7.3l Crew cab and my 01 was valued about the same and I need something bigger to pull the horse trailer anyway and I haven't been happier. Then just yesterday my father in law decided he wanted to save money on insurance and taxes and gave us his 1990 f-250xlt lariat 4x4 460 with only 135,000 miles. I know the newer trucks have more amenities but the ****** they are producing now just isn't the same quality a coworker of mine has a 2012 f-150 next time you are buy one just knock one the bed side then knock on yours you will see what I mean. They are saving money and cutting corners were ever possible. So to answer the question My trucks might be old and my diesel might have higher mileage but mine are made with better materials and are proven. There is a reason the motors in our trucks were produced for such long periods of time they worked no sense in changing what isn't broke until good ole EPA sausage suckers get their hands in it.

Quick Reply: Spinoff, so you own a Ford, but why a 87-96 F-series?