Sponsored by:

2005 New to me Ex Limited with some ???s

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:20 AM
2005 Ex Limited
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 New to me Ex Limited with some ???s

I just bought this excursion, pretty much sight unseen in Colorado the other day. I had the dealer run through it and they said it needed front axle seals. They're on the list.

I drove it over 900 miles to get back to Mn and noticed a couple things with it along the way. I looked around for a decent new thread for these, but didn't find anything in particular.

1. The coolant gage never rose above 1/4 until we hit Nebraska. It was 70° there, and only then did it approach the normal range. By the time we got home, and again Wednesday (29°) after warming for 10 minutes it didn't rise much as it should have. I'm getting some heat in the cab, not perhaps as much as it should be, but I'm thinking this might just be a sticky thermostat. Coolant is full, clean and the oil cooler was done last year. Is this a common thing? I have a stat from the dealer to put in if you guys think it's the way to go.

2. While it was on cruise, and some rather rough Iowa roads I would get an ABS light and it shuddered once pretty good. Currently it's on a 6" lift with 35x12.5x20s. Because of some wheel hop would the ABS kick in and try to intervene and grab the brake? We drove with cruise off, and it didn't come back. I don't think it's trans or the ABS acting alone, but the higher unsprung weight and the rough roads. Ideas? No DTCs showed up for this.

3. It ran well Tuesday, but Wednesday morning it seems that it was missed a few times. The previous owner said he had and injector replaced, and I have the receipt. I'm going to have Ford do the extended warranty on this truck, they want $3,200 for 24k/24mo, to mitigate anything of this scale. I might just let them deal with this one.

4. When I first started driving it I noticed it was down on power. It came with a check engine light, the dealer never scanned it, so I never knew. The scanner gave me P0299 which is low boost. I found this https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ode-p0299.html, so I'll start there.

The trans fluid was clean and pink, going to do the back diff if the front looks dirty, since I'm doing the seals there regardless. Otherwise I don't know too much of the history. He didn't drive it much, receipt from 12/13 had it at 96k miles.

If I can get out of this without taking it too hard I should be pretty far ahead. Since it's an 05 limited 6.0 with 103k, has either a 6 or 8" lift on those tires, great stereo with a backup camera, train horn, but it's missing the tank, viper keyless with the fancy 2-way remotes, banks high ram, K&N, cow catcher, which I'd like to replace with an Ali Arc when the money permits. The interior is clean and there are just a few chips on the outside. Paid 19k for it. What do you think?

Old 03-13-2015, 11:24 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Old 03-13-2015, 12:48 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Read this, it may save you a trip to the Ford dealer:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...mileage-3.html

Old 03-17-2015, 12:04 PM
2005 Ex Limited
Senior User
I plan on pulling it into the garage tonight, and starting to work on this.

I'll start with the EBP sensor and that tube. The previous owner said that he had the turbo cleaned out, but even if I have to do that it shouldn't be that much work.

I just ordered one of those scan gauges. It's only $30 more direct from them than what I paid for my scanner, but it was $5 cheaper on Amazon even with overnight shipping. It seems far more useful that something that can just read and clear codes.

If this cleaning doesn't work at least I should be able to monitor the VGT, and the fuel pressure to see it either of those are the culprit.

Thanks for the links Toreador.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:51 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Note to clean the fitting that the EBP tube is attached to.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:08 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
Also clean the IAT2 sensor on the intake, it gets crudded up too.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:57 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Reps sent

Old 03-19-2015, 11:20 AM
2005 Ex Limited
Senior User
I thought that I posted this last night, but must not have hit the button.

I got a SC2 and had it monitor the ICP, MAP, EBP and VGT like he shows in the video.

I can watch the ICP go from 500 to almost 3000 when I floor it. The VGT was around 85% at idle, pretty sure it's 4" turbo back, and then drop down to about 40% at full throttle. I couldn't get it any lower than that no matter what I was doing. Rolling or from a stop to 100% throttle. It's moving from 40-85%, but should it move more? On the list to at least look at it.
The MAP and EBP sensors were close to each other at KOEO and about 1# difference at idle. I could get the EBP over thirty at full throttle, but the MAP never got much over 20. I'm going to check that hose to the MAP to see if that's bad. I pulled the EBP tube and cleaned it before I did this test, but it didn't seem like it was plugged or otherwise dirty. I cleared the code, drove for 45min last night and then to work today and the p0299 hasn't come back yet. Still seems down on power.

Is there another way to check the fuel pressure? Thinking I should do the blue spring upgrade regardless, but to still be able to check the pressure what's the best way?

I haven't seen my water temp get about 118° yet, so that t-stat is going to replaced. When I do that I'm going to do a flush and replace with Rotella. A coolant filter is on that list too. Is the sinister kit a good one? That's the name I see around here the most, so if I don't hear otherwise I'll get one of those.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:21 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
You will regret buying the Sinister kit because they're hoses are designed to fail. Ask me how I know...

If you're going to buy a coolant filter, buy yourself the Diesel Site kit.

http://www.dieselsite.com/2003-20076...waterpump.aspx

Get the coolant filter ball valves too. You'll thank me later.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:05 PM
alex--taylor
Senior User
Originally Posted by scaldinghotcarl
I just bought this excursion, pretty much sight unseen in Colorado the other day. I had the dealer run through it and they said it needed front axle seals. They're on the list.

I drove it over 900 miles to get back to Mn and noticed a couple things with it along the way. I looked around for a decent new thread for these, but didn't find anything in particular.

1. The coolant gage never rose above 1/4 until we hit Nebraska. It was 70° there, and only then did it approach the normal range. By the time we got home, and again Wednesday (29°) after warming for 10 minutes it didn't rise much as it should have. I'm getting some heat in the cab, not perhaps as much as it should be, but I'm thinking this might just be a sticky thermostat. Coolant is full, clean and the oil cooler was done last year. Is this a common thing? I have a stat from the dealer to put in if you guys think it's the way to go.

2. While it was on cruise, and some rather rough Iowa roads I would get an ABS light and it shuddered once pretty good. Currently it's on a 6" lift with 35x12.5x20s. Because of some wheel hop would the ABS kick in and try to intervene and grab the brake? We drove with cruise off, and it didn't come back. I don't think it's trans or the ABS acting alone, but the higher unsprung weight and the rough roads. Ideas? No DTCs showed up for this.

3. It ran well Tuesday, but Wednesday morning it seems that it was missed a few times. The previous owner said he had and injector replaced, and I have the receipt. I'm going to have Ford do the extended warranty on this truck, they want $3,200 for 24k/24mo, to mitigate anything of this scale. I might just let them deal with this one.

4. When I first started driving it I noticed it was down on power. It came with a check engine light, the dealer never scanned it, so I never knew. The scanner gave me P0299 which is low boost. I found this https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ode-p0299.html, so I'll start there.

The trans fluid was clean and pink, going to do the back diff if the front looks dirty, since I'm doing the seals there regardless. Otherwise I don't know too much of the history. He didn't drive it much, receipt from 12/13 had it at 96k miles.

If I can get out of this without taking it too hard I should be pretty far ahead. Since it's an 05 limited 6.0 with 103k, has either a 6 or 8" lift on those tires, great stereo with a backup camera, train horn, but it's missing the tank, viper keyless with the fancy 2-way remotes, banks high ram, K&N, cow catcher, which I'd like to replace with an Ali Arc when the money permits. The interior is clean and there are just a few chips on the outside. Paid 19k for it. What do you think?
Hey, thanks for posting this thread and putting all the details out there. In contrast, I have an 05 EB model, that was pretty much stock and paid more. Then, I had to replace 4 injectors, the oil cooler, and put in a bulletproof EGR... and that's besides all the fun stuff I put into the truck just because. I think that unless you run into some big repairs you got a fair price, but the market is crazy on late model excursions. Some go for way more, some for less. People pay what they want and there seems to be little logic with many going for sale WAY above blue book.

AT

Old 03-19-2015, 07:18 PM
2005 Ex Limited
Senior User
Originally Posted by alex--taylor
Hey, thanks for posting this thread and putting all the details out there. In contrast, I have an 05 EB model, that was pretty much stock and paid more. Then, I had to replace 4 injectors, the oil cooler, and put in a bulletproof EGR... and that's besides all the fun stuff I put into the truck just because. I think that unless you run into some big repairs you got a fair price, but the market is crazy on late model excursions. Some go for way more, some for less. People pay what they want and there seems to be little logic with many going for sale WAY above blue book.

AT
I have the receipt from the oil cooler he did too. Yay!

I don't think anything catastrophic is going to happen soon. Ford did an inspection on it and didn't find anything major, so he knows something or just wanted to get rid of it.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:43 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
If you haven't done the thermostat check out the 6.0l section where there is a thread on the 200 degree mishimoto.

Welcome to FTE.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:59 PM
2005 Ex Limited
Senior User
I swear I've tried to post this at least twice, but it isn't making it.

I still had the ford thermostat, so I just put that in to see if it would solve the problem. I read a lot of the 200° mishi post and it seems that there are issues with fitment and what benefits you actually get. For me this choice was strictly troubleshooting. The old one was stuck partially open. Problem solved.

As far as the p0299 code I cleaned up the EGR valve. I didn't think it was that dirty compared to some of the videos I watched, but it made a tremendous difference in the power aspect. I cleared the code with my SC2, so I think that might have done it. Took it out last night and went bar hopping and put on fifty miles of mixed driving and the code isn't back yet.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:05 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scaldinghotcarl
I swear I've tried to post this at least twice, but it isn't making it.

I still had the ford thermostat, so I just put that in to see if it would solve the problem. I read a lot of the 200° mishi post and it seems that there are issues with fitment and what benefits you actually get. For me this choice was strictly troubleshooting. The old one was stuck partially open. Problem solved.

As far as the p0299 code I cleaned up the EGR valve. I didn't think it was that dirty compared to some of the videos I watched, but it made a tremendous difference in the power aspect. I cleared the code with my SC2, so I think that might have done it. Took it out last night and went bar hopping and put on fifty miles of mixed driving and the code isn't back yet.

So, your saying your drinking and driving may have impaired your vision so the code may or may not be back? Just wanted to get that straight

Old 03-22-2015, 06:14 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
^ yeah not sure I would post something to incriminate myself on a public forum like that.

Quick Reply: 2005 New to me Ex Limited with some ???s