1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

E-Fuel Woes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 06:18 PM
williameub
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed my E-fuel set-up but I've run into a problem.

My pump isn't sucking fuel from the tanks.

Everything is plumbed right. Even tried switching the supply/return lines coming from the selector valve thinking I might have mixed them up, but no dice.

Pump works fine, just not getting fuel from the tanks. I'm starting to think maybe my filters are the problem, although I did fill them before installing them.

Using a WIX 33367 Pre-Pump
And a WIX 33528

Any ideas or something I missed?

Starting to think I got a weak pump...

Old 03-12-2015, 07:32 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
You tried jumpering the pump? Run a wire from 12v to pump to push fuel through the lines.

Some of the pumps run, but run backwards, if the ground and power are reversed.

Could also be broken/cracked pickup tube/ clogged screen.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:46 PM
williameub
Senior User
Originally Posted by glovemeister
You tried jumpering the pump? Run a wire from 12v to pump to push fuel through the lines. Some of the pumps run, but run backwards, if the ground and power are reversed. Could also be broken/cracked pickup tube/ clogged screen.
I have tried switching the terminals on the pump.

Without the pre-pump filter on, I can feel suction with my hand on the filter base.

Doubt it's a pickup tube problem that's just occurred now, everything worked fine with the stock set-up

Old 03-12-2015, 08:39 PM
williameub
Senior User
Here's a thought...

Last e-fuel I did, I remember when I cut the supply line from the selector valve, that it constantly drained, by gravity, like I would except it too. However, this truck doesn't do this...

Old 03-12-2015, 11:44 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by williameub
Here's a thought... Last e-fuel I did, I remember when I cut the supply line from the selector valve, that it constantly drained, by gravity, like I would except it too. However, this truck doesn't do this...
mine syphoned fuel from the tank as well. Sounds like you may have a pickup problem or some form of air intrusion. Possibly from moving the fuel lines around.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:01 AM
williameub
Senior User
Any tips on how get this thing primed? I'm thinking a mighty-vac or something...

Maybe filling the other tank all the way and flipping the selector valve?

I could always just try to siphon it out like the old days with your mouth, but it's different when your laying down under the truck... I can't move as fast that a way and don't feel like getting a complete mouth full of diesel.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:15 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by williameub
I can't move as fast that a way and don't feel like getting a complete mouth full of diesel.
Been there and done that! Diesel doesn't taste terrible, but I prefer Ethanol.

I would give it a shot with the Mightyvac. No reason not to, right? That will tell you if you're able to draw fuel through the line. If you get fuel that way, then you at least know you can look elsewhere.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:57 AM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
Turn the power on to the pump, then stick a rag tightly into the fuel filler neck around the tip of a blow gun and use compressed shop air to lightly pressurize the tank. We have had to do this more than a few times for whatever reason, when priming a new or recently installed system.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 03-14-2015, 01:17 AM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Which line did you hook up for supply on your selector valve. I find it hard that the electric fuel pump won't prime its self. When I did my e fuel I had it hooked up wrong but as soon as I switch them it took right off.

Old 03-14-2015, 04:50 AM
smithm31
Junior User
I'm sorta new to the diesel world and I can't figure out what a E-Fuel setup is. Would one of you kind fellas explain what this is to a newbe. Thanks,Mike

Old 03-14-2015, 05:43 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smithm31
I'm sorta new to the diesel world and I can't figure out what a E-Fuel setup is. Would one of you kind fellas explain what this is to a newbe. Thanks,Mike
electric fuel pump. It gets rid of the fluctuating mechanical pump and adds more consistent fuel flow

Old 03-14-2015, 06:50 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Also the stock system sucks in many ways...it is leak prone. Also a steady pressure will help idle quality. As soon as I installed a 50hp chip in mine. my then new pump with shimmed regulator for proper fuel pressure adjustment would not keep up. Under a hard pull pressure would drop from 75 at idle to 30 and dropping and I would get out of the throttle. IMO every one over these needs e-fuel if performance is to be added. Some have run off the stock system for a while but my opinion is it is a very basic mod to be done early in any "build" process.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:58 AM
smithm31
Junior User
Ok. Now I know and right away I started thinking. My truck is a stock 97 350 dually, auto trans and 4:10 gears. 106,000 miles. I pull a 13,000 lb 5th wheel to Fla 3 or 4 times a year. Only mod is I installed a DP Tuner chip. Truck really pulls the camper very good. I put a boost gauge in yesterday. With the chip in the stock setting she makes about 15/16 lbs boost. I can kick the chip up to towing mode and it makes around 18/20 lbs. The truck really runs good and smooth with lots of power. I am trying to decide if I need to go ahead and put elec fuel pump. About how much does a good one cost and about how much could I expect to pay for install? Thanks, Mike

Old 03-16-2015, 12:55 PM
williameub
Senior User
Ok. Now I know and right away I started thinking. My truck is a stock 97 350 dually, auto trans and 4:10 gears. 106,000 miles. I pull a 13,000 lb 5th wheel to Fla 3 or 4 times a year. Only mod is I installed a DP Tuner chip. Truck really pulls the camper very good. I put a boost gauge in yesterday. With the chip in the stock setting she makes about 15/16 lbs boost. I can kick the chip up to towing mode and it makes around 18/20 lbs. The truck really runs good and smooth with lots of power. I am trying to decide if I need to go ahead and put elec fuel pump. About how much does a good one cost and about how much could I expect to pay for install? Thanks, Mike

First thing, you'll need to install an EGT gauge and get rid of the stock downpipe. High EGTs can ruin an engine QUICK. Before going to an Efuel, I'd look at adding these mods first. I'd also get rid of the restrictive air filter setup. Most guys got with a 6637 filter. The cost of the efuel set up really depends on which direction you go. There are several threads on DIY set-ups and I took what I liked best out of them and made my own. Going this route will normally set you back around $300-$600. That all what system you choose and your choice on parts.

A commercial kit will usually run around $800-$1200. Strictly diesel is one that comes to mind and they make a very good kit.

If you pay someone for installing the kit, add another $200-$400. Although, if you have any kind of mechanical ability, these systems aren't to difficult to install.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:04 PM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
I had a selector valve go bad once and it wouldn't let fuel throw the pump

Quick Reply: E-Fuel Woes.