6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

'15 KR heated seat

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 01:53 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
'15 KR heated seat

Wife swears the back gets hot but the bottom does not and that my '11 passenger seat worked much better (hotter).

She drove the truck today and says my side works great, but hers does not.

Took it in to dealer and they say the butt warmer works fine?????

Anyone else come across this.

NOTE: Unless it over 80 F my wife runs that heater on her side along with the seat.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:07 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Don, it sounds to me like the wifey is looking for an excuse to drive your truck!

Old 03-12-2015, 06:38 PM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
Don, it sounds to me like the wifey is looking for an excuse to drive your truck!
Haha! Good call.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:46 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
LOL, yea she does like it...

Old 03-13-2015, 10:51 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
Wife swears the back gets hot but the bottom does not and that my '11 passenger seat worked much better (hotter).

She drove the truck today and says my side works great, but hers does not.

Took it in to dealer and they say the butt warmer works fine?????

Anyone else come across this.

NOTE: Unless it over 80 F my wife runs that heater on her side along with the seat.
Hi Don,

Have you tried sitting in the passenger seat to see if you can notice anything? You may also want to consider getting a second opinion at a different Ford Dealership. Let me know if you decide to go that route and I'll loop in your regional customer service manager.

Crystal

Old 03-13-2015, 05:30 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi Don,

Have you tried sitting in the passenger seat to see if you can notice anything? You may also want to consider getting a second opinion at a different Ford Dealership. Let me know if you decide to go that route and I'll loop in your regional customer service manager.

Crystal
Crystall, I have not tried sitting in it, but I will. I did notice the other day when I had it on and I was driving around. I put my hand on the seat and it was much cooler than the back was, or you could say the back was much warmer. Shouldn't they be the same temp???

Also how does it work? Is it electric? ( I assume it is) and does it have a blower motor as some do?

Thanks and I will let you know about a 2nd opinion...

Old 03-13-2015, 07:25 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's very hard to figure if the seat is working right. Depends on a lot of things.

If you have a coat on, you won't feel it very much.

If heat is on but no one is sitting there the seat will not be warm to the touch. Don't feel it until weight is in the seat.

Very well could be that the back gets warmer than the bottom.

I'd even say that the heavier the person, the warmer the effect is. I think it's a carbon fiber woven fabric that heats when energized. I have no idea how the thermostat would work.

I'd be curious about the test/diagnosis procedure for them. Maybe it's a current draw low and high limit?

Old 03-13-2015, 07:47 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I noticed the coat problem... Sometimes my seat or back feel hotter than the other because of it. I agree that you should sit in the passenger seat and see if it works the same as your drivers seat to you. ALSO - if you are in the seat with bare skin and use sunscreen OR you use leather conditioner make sure you haven't blocked up the little holes in the seat... (Don't ask how I know that - but it really affected the cooled seat option in my 2011)

The test is going to be if it pulls current it is working, I am assuming you hear a click when the passenger side seat heater turns on? It is possible that it is cycling on and off though. That happened on my wife's SUV. Turned out the element was partially shorted out so it would trip a circuit breaker and then after it cooled down it would work again. Didn't matter whether it was on setting 1 or 3. It was hard to convince a dealer in Miami that the seat heater doesn't work. You get strange looks. She uses hers for her lower back even in the summer. A/C on high, seat heater on high. And it took several visits and complaints before they finally found the problem.

Let us know how it turns out and if not, to another dealer I would go anyways. You never know, the seat back could be shorted out somehow and maybe they can figure it out.

Last edited by Dakster; 03-13-2015 at 09:12 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-14-2015, 02:43 AM
MPD56
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
17 Oaks: You might find this helpful. There not like a heater element on the ones that don't have AC seats.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/fordp...23295744373477

Old 03-14-2015, 08:06 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
My wife is thin at 5'9", 130 lb and wears jeans with little space tween them and her Calvin Cline's and she runs that heated seat almost year round. Over the next day or so I am going to get in the seat and have her drive...if it does not make me sweat in a few min then I will know something is not right.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:11 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
WTMI --- 17 Oaks. WTMI....

Old 03-15-2015, 07:13 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lol, if my wife put on skinny jeans and drove my truck I'd need the seat cooling for sure.....

Old 03-16-2015, 08:47 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
Crystall, I have not tried sitting in it, but I will. I did notice the other day when I had it on and I was driving around. I put my hand on the seat and it was much cooler than the back was, or you could say the back was much warmer. Shouldn't they be the same temp???

Also how does it work? Is it electric? ( I assume it is) and does it have a blower motor as some do?

Thanks and I will let you know about a 2nd opinion...
Hi Don,

I'm not a technician, so I'm not the best resource for mechanical questions. I'll continue to check in on this thread to see how things go. If you decide to get a second opinion, I'll get your regional customer service manager involved.

Crystal

Old 03-16-2015, 09:04 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Took the big ride yesterday: She drove and I sat in the 'hot seat'...NOT.

I jumped and turned it on out in the barn as we left to go into town. Outside temp was 65 and climbing. We drove into town and was doing some errands, finally after about 20 min I was warm enough to force a turn off. BUT almost all of that came from the back of the seat. The bottom never got that hot. As you know it has 3 levels of heat. It was on high the entire time. MY guess is had it been on low I would have never known it was on at all.

CONTRAST

I turn my side hot seat on and I don't even make town and it comes off and this is with outside temps in the high 30's and 40's, my side works perfect. Her side the back seems to work fine but the seat after 20 min in 65 F its still not as hot as it should be.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:05 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi Don,

I'm not a technician, so I'm not the best resource for mechanical questions. I'll continue to check in on this thread to see how things go. If you decide to get a second opinion, I'll get your regional customer service manager involved.

Crystal
Yes, please do, I would like a second opinion at this time.

Quick Reply: '15 KR heated seat