Sponsored by: DP Tuner

HPOP Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 10:12 AM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
HPOP Recomendations

Hey all, looks like I get to replace my HPOP and fuel regulator. I see that Clay carries the T500 and I have also been advised to go with an Adrenaline pump. The shop that I am having do the work has let me know that they have seen a couple T500's with issues, and had to send them back. They said they have never had a problem with the Adrenaline. I know that this has been beet to death, but I am looking for what the latest and greatest is in 2015.

Also, while I am in there, what else should I R&R?

For all you mobile readers like me, here is the short list of my current mods and future hopes. I am not looking to build a race truck, just upgrading to better parts than OEM when I can.

Current: 2003 Excursion - 7.3L, GTP38R PowerMax Turbocharger, RIffRaff OCR, IH Up Pipes, KAZ Transmission valve body and 3 stage clutch, 3 stage torque converter, 6637 air filter, CCV Mod, Hellwig rear sway bar, 6" Procomp lift, P3 Brake Controller, BEST mod - 2008 tow mirrors!!!

Future: Upgraded injectors, mainly whatever I can research that will give me another 100,000 miles of trouble free performance.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:54 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I needed to replace my HPOP, I did a ton of research and found that people have had problems with both. Some were o-ring related which is not the HPOP builders fault. At the end of the day I would purchase one from a dealer who is reliable and will stand behind the product that they sell on their site.

As you know, be careful when a shop promotes one product over another and ask enough questions so that you can clearly see the motivation for said promotion.

I have used mine for 40k miles at this point and it will still maintain the 2800-3000 psi that it delivered when new whilst pulling 2-3 mile long grades rated at 5-7% if I choose to push it. The only time the pressure drops is when I let off the pedal due to traffic or the grade tapers....or common sense creeps in.

As you can see the T-500 won simply because one of the sponsors of this site had one in stock and shipped it the same day. I was leaning that way anyway. I have not been disappointed and my new 160/30's are very happy.

As for up to date in 2015, there are rumors of newer updated HPOP's out there. From what I understand, from the results of the R&D done so far, they are not yet ready for prime time....if this is a truck that has a job.

Be sure to replace the HPOP gasket...$25 saves a couple of hours of potential work. I believe it is included with the RiffRaff kit if you go the T-500 route.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:29 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a T-500. If i had to do it again, I would spend the extra for an Adrenaline. At the time mine was a budget choice. Both are fine pumps but the Adrenaline flow just a touch more.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:10 PM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Originally Posted by jhl3
When I needed to replace my HPOP, I did a ton of research and found that people have had problems with both. Some were o-ring related which is not the HPOP builders fault. At the end of the day I would purchase one from a dealer who is reliable and will stand behind the product that they sell on their site.

As you know, be careful when a shop promotes one product over another and ask enough questions so that you can clearly see the motivation for said promotion.

I have used mine for 40k miles at this point and it will still maintain the 2800-3000 psi that it delivered when new whilst pulling 2-3 mile long grades rated at 5-7% if I choose to push it. The only time the pressure drops is when I let off the pedal due to traffic or the grade tapers....or common sense creeps in.

As you can see the T-500 won simply because one of the sponsors of this site had one in stock and shipped it the same day. I was leaning that way anyway. I have not been disappointed and my new 160/30's are very happy.

As for up to date in 2015, there are rumors of newer updated HPOP's out there. From what I understand, from the results of the R&D done so far, they are not yet ready for prime time....if this is a truck that has a job.

Be sure to replace the HPOP gasket...$25 saves a couple of hours of potential work. I believe it is included with the RiffRaff kit if you go the T-500 route.

Hope this helps.
I agree with you on being leery of just going with the first recommendation of the shop, which is why I turned to all your input first

I also spoke to Justin at DP, and he gave me the thumbs up for the T500. He said he consistently was seeing tune analysis of guys running Adrenaline's that were not acting up. I like that the Terminator essentially has a lifetime warranty. Even though they say 2 years, it sounds like from DP that Joey will still take care of you well beyond that time period if something goes bump in the night.

So now I am waiting on parts to be ordered, and feel confident about going with the T500, as I trust DP' s wisdom.

Thanks all!

Old 03-12-2015, 07:24 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I've seen a T500 that had some problems. Truck still started and ran, just didn't have the top end it should. A couple of emails back and forth to Joey and he was Johnny on the spot getting it swapped out. No issues after the swap, and no issues on any of the others I've installed from him.

Anything man made can have a fault in it, especially when dealing with pumps that are being rebuilt. Having a company that you know will stand behind their product is nice to have.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:19 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,108 Posts
Why do you think you need a high pressure oil pump?

Are you trying to make more than an additional 60 RWHP with stock injectors?

Old 03-13-2015, 07:50 AM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Why do you think you need a high pressure oil pump?

Are you trying to make more than an additional 60 RWHP with stock injectors?
Great question. I was told by my Independent Diesel Shop that I need a new HPOP because it is not flowing enough to keep up with the demand of my tuner. P1211 and P1249. I also have Clay's Overboost Code Regulator because I kept getting a P0238(BullyDog GT, I know, after I get my tax money back, I am going with a DP...) I had the ICP sensor replaced (Ford OEM Part # F6tz9f838a) recently in May of 2014, so I don't think that is my problem. They had it hooked up to their AE and the ICP and IPR numbers were not good. I should have wrote them down, but I do not recall what they were. For now, I have stock injectors, but eventually, will upgrade.

Will the T500 make another 60 RWHP with stock injectors?

Old 03-13-2015, 08:40 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
What Cody is trying to tell you is that 60RWHP additional is all the stock stick can provide.

Maybe before you lay out the cash on a HPOP, lay the cash down on some good tunes and see what you have then.

Tug has a story to tell on how he got his T500......it was the tuning, not the HPOP.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:51 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by exbxtoy
Great question. I was told by my Independent Diesel Shop that I need a new HPOP because it is not flowing enough to keep up with the demand of my tuner. P1211 and P1249. I also have Clay's Overboost Code Regulator because I kept getting a P0238(BullyDog GT, I know, after I get my tax money back, I am going with a DP...) I had the ICP sensor replaced (Ford OEM Part # F6tz9f838a) recently in May of 2014, so I don't think that is my problem. They had it hooked up to their AE and the ICP and IPR numbers were not good. I should have wrote them down, but I do not recall what they were. For now, I have stock injectors, but eventually, will upgrade.

Will the T500 make another 60 RWHP with stock injectors?
I wonder if they still have the AE data file saved. They should unless someone went in there and deleted the specific file since AE makes you elect a file name prior to recording data. It would be nice if you could get a copy.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:07 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Originally Posted by Dan V
What Cody is trying to tell you is that 60RWHP additional is all the stock stick can provide.
Partly. The stock injectors can make more than 60 additional RWHP. Typically they will provide enough fuel to make up to an additional 100 RWHP. The practices used to actually make more than 60 RWHP will have one believe that the high pressure oil pump is weak or that it's "not keeping up with the demand".

Maybe before you lay out the cash on a HPOP, lay the cash down on some good tunes and see what you have then.
It doesn't matter what tuning one chooses to use. It all boils down to how much power one is trying to make with the injectors in question be they stock or aftermarket.

Tug has a story to tell on how he got his T500......it was the tuning, not the HPOP.
Yep. This is the case a vast majority of the time. Vendors selling parts to cover up other issues.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:14 AM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Partly. The stock injectors can make more than 60 additional RWHP. Typically they will provide enough fuel to make up to an additional 100 RWHP. The practices used to actually make more than 60 RWHP will have one believe that the high pressure oil pump is weak or that it's "not keeping up with the demand".

It doesn't matter what tuning one chooses to use. It all boils down to how much power one is trying to make with the injectors in question be they stock or aftermarket.

Yep. This is the case a vast majority of the time. Vendors selling parts to cover up other issues.
All good points! Beside the cost of the HPOP, any reason not to upgrade if in fact it is my tuner and not the HPOP?

Old 03-13-2015, 09:34 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Some will say yes, some will say no.

I say no, but I'm a huge proponent of stock equipment due to reliability and parts availability. Many "upgrades" provide nothing but problems. My 2000 F250 made a shade over 500 RWHP on a completely stock truck (just aftermarket injectors and transmission) with 2800 ICP and 54% IPR (I only tune for a max of 2900 PSI anyway). Yes, the IPR duty cycle was still climbing, but for what I needed it to do, the stock high pressure oil pump did it. In the real world, for a daily driver, one would never need 500+ horsepower. That's stupid.

Everything else on the truck hated that little romp, but I had to know if it was possible. For what it's worth, I run one calibration in the truck now (XLE4-based by the way for all of the Early-1999 haters) that tops out at smokeless 320 RWHP that will never exceed 1050 degrees on a pyrometer. For a regular cab 2wd, it screams at this power level and drives exactly like a stock pickup until otherwise commanded.

I have never had nor have I spent any appreciable amount of time in a pickup with an aftermarket high pressure oil pump. I've never had the need to own one and I've never had the need to recommend one to somebody.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:00 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
on another note - I would recommend doing the "Hutch mod" to your Excursion to help remove the air that can enter into the fuel lines. You can do the Harpoon mod as well, but when I did it on our Excursion it didn't yield the same benefit as it did in the Pick-Ups. If you do install a new HPOP (and I wouldn't unless you are sure you "need" one) take a look where the HPOP lines enter the heads and if they are leaking or sweating get some new fittings or O-rings for the fittings that go into the head. Riffraff & Diesel O-rings sell them.......

HPOP Line Fitting - Cylinder Head - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Old 03-13-2015, 11:10 AM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
on another note - I would recommend doing the "Hutch mod" to your Excursion to help remove the air that can enter into the fuel lines. You can do the Harpoon mod as well, but when I did it on our Excursion it didn't yield the same benefit as it did in the Pick-Ups. If you do install a new HPOP (and I wouldn't unless you are sure you "need" one) take a look where the HPOP lines enter the heads and if they are leaking or sweating get some new fittings or O-rings for the fittings that go into the head. Riffraff & Diesel O-rings sell them.......

HPOP Line Fitting - Cylinder Head - Riffraff Diesel Performance
Good advice on the line fitting. Doing the hutch mod is on my list to do when the weather stays warmer longer here in MI. What scares me about doing it is reading tugs experience and ruining injectors. Any links to Excursion specific procedures for the Hutch Mod? Or is it identical minus the different fuel tanks between the trucks and X's?

Old 03-13-2015, 11:13 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
It's the same, the only thing different is the size & shape of the fuel tank.....just make sure you get the fuel level pretty darn low. It's not difficult, just time consuming - as is anything the first time you go it. Just double clamp it like Rich did.

Quick Reply: HPOP Recomendations